Visiting from WI - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Piers and Bridges > Piers and Bridges - General Q & A

Like Tree3Likes

Old 03-18-2016, 11:24 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Visiting from WI

Hello all, my wife and I will be visiting Pensacola for our first time for a couple of nights next weekend(3/26-3/28). I fish 2 or 3 times per week here in WI, but I've never fished saltwater. I'd love to get a line in while we're visiting.

I'm thinking of trying the Pensacola beach pier or the Navarre beach pier. I've read that a fishing license is not required with paid admission on these piers, although I may buy a license and try surf fishing anyway.

I'll probably only get a few hours 1 or 2 days to fish. I really want to maximize my chances of catching something. If anyone has advice on what's biting or what to use for bait I would really appreciate anything you have to offer. I've done a lot of reading on the forum, but around here, the current conditions mean a lot when choosing bait, location, time, etc...so the closer next weekend gets, the more interested I am in what's working.

I'm a courteous and respectful fisherman. I've been reading up on Florida fishing regulations so as not to cause any trouble. I really just want the thrill of landing some fish that I can't find at home. Also, if anyone needs a fishing buddy those days. I might be able to help out!

Thanks!
Adam
berninga87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2016, 11:53 PM   #2
Ruby Red Lip

I fish Navarre pier and surf good fishing for black brum and sheep's head right now pm on those dates and y'all come out to Navarre pier we can do some fishing don't know everything but know enough lol
Timnavarre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2016, 12:52 AM   #3
White Marlin

Good luck fishing. You'll love the surf if you've never done it before it's my favorite type of fishing. The pompano are usually biting this time of year too.
stc1993 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 09:55 AM   #4
I'd Love to Catch a
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by berninga87 View Post
Hello all, my wife and I will be visiting Pensacola for our first time for a couple of nights next weekend(3/26-3/28). I fish 2 or 3 times per week here in WI, but I've never fished saltwater. I'd love to get a line in while we're visiting.

I'm thinking of trying the Pensacola beach pier or the Navarre beach pier. I've read that a fishing license is not required with paid admission on these piers, although I may buy a license and try surf fishing anyway.

I'll probably only get a few hours 1 or 2 days to fish. I really want to maximize my chances of catching something. If anyone has advice on what's biting or what to use for bait I would really appreciate anything you have to offer. I've done a lot of reading on the forum, but around here, the current conditions mean a lot when choosing bait, location, time, etc...so the closer next weekend gets, the more interested I am in what's working.

I'm a courteous and respectful fisherman. I've been reading up on Florida fishing regulations so as not to cause any trouble. I really just want the thrill of landing some fish that I can't find at home. Also, if anyone needs a fishing buddy those days. I might be able to help out!

Thanks!
Adam
You should be here at the perfect time for the spring bull run at Bob Sykes. If you're interested in sight fishing for some 30 lb. class fish, get in contact with me, I'd be happy to get you on some fish man.

608-558-9386. By the way, I'm from Wisconsin as well. Still live & fish there for four months of the year.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:16 AM   #5
Cigar Minnow

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Tim, what basic rod/reel/line setup would you recommend for Navarre? or is there decent gear available for rent? I plan on just buying jigs/bait/etc down there but if I need a special rod/reel I'd like to pick that up before we leave. I see a lot of guys use a long (10-14ft) heavy rod for surf fishing but does that carry over to pier fishing? I watched a youtube video of a guy using a 6'6" gander rod off the Pensacola pier and catching fish. I've got a similar setup I use here that I could spool up 20 or 25# braid on if I could get by with that.

Thafish, kinda have the same questions for you. I've hauled in a handful of 20+lb fish here on 10 and 15# power pro but what kind of gear is required for a 30+lb bull(assuming bull red or black drum?). Rentals available? Would a stout catfish rod do the trick? Since I wont be there long I can't justify spending too much on new gear that I may not use often or ever at home.

Surf fishing is still on my list to try if I can. We'll be going to Apalachicola for a couple days after Pensacola so it may have to wait until we get there and visit St. George.

Would you guys recommend buying a fishing license or would I be OK without one at the locations you've mentioned? I've looked at the licenses online and I'm thinking I would just need the saltwater license for the fishing I'll be doing. Does that sound right?
Old 03-19-2016, 11:54 AM   #6
I'd Love to Catch a
White Marlin

Quote:
Thafish, kinda have the same questions for you. I've hauled in a handful of 20+lb fish here on 10 and 15# power pro but what kind of gear is required for a 30+lb bull(assuming bull red or black drum?). Rentals available? Would a stout catfish rod do the trick? Since I wont be there long I can't justify spending too much on new gear that I may not use often or ever at home.

A 7'-8' medium heavy/heavy rod w/ a fast tip paired with a 4kish sized spinning reel OR a 7'-8' medium heavy/heavy rod w/ a fast tip paired with a 300 sized low profile (Revo Toro NaCl/Lexa 300/Curado 300/etc.) or a round Abu/Calcutta/etc. will work just fine.

30-50 lb. braid w/ an 8-10' 40 lb. fluorocarbon leader is the ideal line setup for out there.

Anything that you feel comfortable throwing 1/2 oz. jigs, 1 oz. topwaters, & 1.5 oz. jigs with will do the job just fine.

I use some of my bull redfish setups for jigging for large channel catfish up in Wisconsin during the summers, so you should be able to get some use out of them up there as well!

To give you some perspective, the two bull redfish & that 40.5'' 31 lb. channel catfish in the pictures were both caught on the same rod setup (& even the same jig).
Attached Thumbnails
Visiting from WI-dsc_0182-jpg   Visiting from WI-dsc_0208-jpg   Visiting from WI-3-23-41-5-bull-jpg   Visiting from WI-3-24-41-redfish-jpg  
Riverfan likes this.
Old 03-19-2016, 12:21 PM   #7
Cigar Minnow

nice fish man! Thanks for the tips. I think I'm heading up to Cabelas in Prairie this afternoon. I'll see what I can come up with. Haven't really done any big cat fishing here but thought about getting more serious about it this year. My bigger fish have been pike, musky, and the occasional monster carp.
Old 03-19-2016, 01:22 PM   #8
Ruby Red Lip

i use 30 pp with 40 lbs floro leader for reds and a 5000 with a med-hvy 7 footer

if fishing for kings i like 8'' med or better get you some wire leaders about 2-3 foot for kings and whats called a bubble rig for spanish they have pre made ones at half hitch tackle they work good. they do have rentals at the pier for poles however i would if at all possable bring/ buy my own theres have some wair i like longer pole then 6'6 so if something takes me under the pier i can get the tip low enough that my line down get cut the times that you are come there will be quite a few people out fishing for cobia they are ass's not all but most.

if the bait is in then also bring your 6'6 pole for a sabikie rig

NOte one the power pro do not get slick inless you are good at your knots it has a tendency to pull the knot
Old 03-19-2016, 01:47 PM   #9
Ruby Red Lip

Also if fishing from shore get the license if just from pier don't worry about it
Old 03-19-2016, 01:52 PM   #10
I'd Love to Catch a
White Marlin

Quote:
nice fish man! Thanks for the tips. I think I'm heading up to Cabelas in Prairie this afternoon. I'll see what I can come up with. Haven't really done any big cat fishing here but thought about getting more serious about it this year. My bigger fish have been pike, musky, and the occasional monster carp.
I've been to that Cabela's a few times! If you wanna be budget-friendly, grab a Pflueger Trion 35 & pair it with a 7' 6" Cabela's Tourney Trail rod or something similar.

By the way, where do you live in Wisconsin man?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in