Tips for fishing the sound from Navarre bridge? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Piers and Bridges > Piers and Bridges - General Q & A

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Simonj31
  • 1 Post By Ocean Master
  • 1 Post By softbutchharley
  • 1 Post By Lush

Old 03-24-2018, 01:22 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Tips for fishing the sound from Navarre bridge?

Just moved here so it’s my first fishing season! You guys probably have seen the question a million times so I’m sorry In advance. Here is what I’ve accomplished... I have been catching my own shrimp with a shrimp pump on the southside of the sound close the the pavilions. Have caught Pinfish around the small south end bridge columns. Most of the time I’m using a Gulf rig that I got from Walmart, not the wire one. Been morning and evening but with not much luck other than catching bait. All tips and criticism is welcome...lol Thanks!
Lush is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2018, 01:31 PM   #2
Snapper

Honestly, find some where else. That area has always been one of the least productive areas for me. Outside of mullet, bait fish and crabs. Yes, you will see a couple past reports over the years of random big drum or sand trout, but I really feel like they are rare there. That's just my experience from fishing there in the past or catching bait and watching the other fishermen.

The grass and sand flats are really about to pick up. There are def fish on em right now though. Try pier and surf fishing as well. The spanish and pompano run are about to start. Always a good time.
Lush likes this.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:34 PM   #3
Cigar Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonj31 View Post
Honestly, find some where else. That area has always been one of the least productive areas for me. Outside of mullet, bait fish and crabs. Yes, you will see a couple past reports over the years of random big drum or sand trout, but I really feel like they are rare there. That's just my experience from fishing there in the past or catching bait and watching the other fishermen.

The grass and sand flats are really about to pick up. There are def fish on em right now though. Try pier and surf fishing as well. The spanish and pompano run are about to start. Always a good time.

Thanks that was what I was thinking. Just got some heavier sinkers my next stop will be the surf. The pier seems real crowded and a bit chaotic at time I prefer more peaceful relaxing fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-24-2018, 01:52 PM   #4
Snapper

Just make sure to not use round weights in the surf. Use the pyramid style. Also, don’t use the bulky store bought rigs. Your catch rate will go way up if you make tour own. Start watching videos and getting smart on surf fishing. Its really about to kick off.
Old 03-24-2018, 02:06 PM   #5
Cigar Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonj31 View Post
Just make sure to not use round weights in the surf. Use the pyramid style. Also, donít use the bulky store bought rigs. Your catch rate will go way up if you make tour own. Start watching videos and getting smart on surf fishing. Its really about to kick off.

Got the pyramid sinkers, got 2 7í spinning setups, about to go purchase some pvc pipe for a couple of rod holders. Just going to use a large bucket that Iíll put my bait bucket in and travel lightly. If i start catching enough for a few meals, Iíll upgrade to a cart/cooler setup. And thanks for the simple but valuable tips they are appreciated!

Old 03-24-2018, 06:29 PM   #6
OCD Reel Service/Repair
Blue Marlin

I’m sure someone on here will let you tag along surf fishing. You will learn all you need in one trip. Just ask..!
Lush likes this.

"Wheelchair Accessible Fishing"
Ocean Master is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2018, 08:25 PM   #7
Trigger

The bridge has never shown me any love. don't know why. Seems it should.
As said here by others....surf fishing and pier time, and I just got my lil boat ready again for the sound. Early (pre dawn to 2-3 hours after sunup) are when I prefer to fish the pier. During tourist season it does get hectic and there can be some very rude locals mixed in as well. Usually easy enough to get around most times. The flats -/docks are fun for me from boat, and I get that rolax fishing chi going as well when in boat in sound. The surf is always relaxing as well, just learn to read the shore and decide how close you want to fish around others. Some early morning fun can def had on pier with spanish/kings and pomps/redfish. hth and stay salty !!
Lush likes this.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:12 AM   #8
Cigar Minnow

Thanks everyone for the help! I plan on hitting the surf towards the end of the week in the early morning. So if any of you see a middle aged man struggling come over and say Hi!

Fishing Grandpa likes this.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:45 AM   #9
Ruby Red Lip

The bridge is cursed! I got my net stuck on a rock , lost my footing, mangled my hand and leg on the sharp assed rocks, drowned my Go-pro and cell phone ...and caught about a dozen lizard fish. Will never go back!!!
Mark W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in