Thinking about trying pier fishing - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Piers and Bridges > Piers and Bridges - General Q & A

Like Tree2Likes

Old 08-01-2015, 09:19 AM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Thinking about trying pier fishing

Been thinking about trying pier fishing but since all my gear I have is freshwater I am curious if the rental equipment offered on Pensacola Beach Pier is decent. I know it will not be top quality but wondering if it is decent enough to get a good feel for Pier fishing instead of investing alot of money into something I wanna try first. I am also curious if there are handicapped accessible areas for people in wheelchairs to fish from on the pier or is that a no go ?
newmanFL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2015, 09:58 AM   #2
Young Pier Rat
Snapper

Honesly the rod rentals on the pier are crap. All $20 walmart combos that have never been cleaned or rinsed that I know of. What fish are you looking to target? And also Navarre pier is more handicap accessable with specific parts of the railing shorter for those that have a wheel chair
Jackin' 'Em Up is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2015, 11:54 AM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

Hey thanks for the quick response. As far as fish probably smaller species like pompano , blues stuff like that mostly catch and release. I figured as much on the rentals I know I wouldn't want to put out high end stuff for novice fishermen or people who do not have gear. Navarre pier sounds like a good option also thanks for letting me know about it.

Old 08-01-2015, 04:54 PM   #4
Young Pier Rat
Snapper

No problem. Go to walmart and buy a cheap fishing combo then go to half hitch to have them set you up with some pompano rigs and shrimp that should get you started.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:51 PM   #5
Grouper

Here is my $.02

Don't rent a 20.00 Rod that only cost 19.00 from Walmart. Buy a cheaper set up like a pursuit somewhere around the 3000-4000 series. A few cheap pompano rigs and a dozen fresh shrimp.

Now for the real advice. Just head out there and have fun. It's usually easy to spot locals vs tourist. If you can't tell the difference just look for the guys not throwing a pre made chicken rig with squid an oversized pyramid weight.

just observer and make some small talk. I've learned more out on the piers on days that I've left my rods and reels at the house and just watched.

I go out a few days a week to Navarre and fish for Spanish and Kings. More than welcome to join me if your interested in catching them.

Ed
Cant.Git.Enuf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2015, 10:19 PM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

Listen to the advice above. Get something like this combo:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Penn-Pursu...Combo/37310049

...and it will last you a long time on the pier. Even when you upgrade later, this will still do work.

Buy some Pompano rigs for your first trips, use food grade shrimp that has not been de-veined for your bait, and you will catch stuff and have fun. Don't try to focus on too many details on your first times out. The information in this thread will give you plenty of excitement for your first endeavors.

Later you can learn to tie your own rigs and choose gear that better fits what you want to do.
Yo-Zuri likes this.
engulfed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2015, 09:41 AM   #7
White Marlin

DON'T DO IT !!!! It's addicting. I've spent countless thousands of hours on the fishing pier, it became an obsession. There I was thousands of miles away in Germany dreaming every night about king fishing from the pier, EVERY NIGHT !!

Not dreaming about my job of keeping the commies on their side of the border, not dreaming about sweet frauline Elke, but about damn pier fishing !!!

Rick
newmanFL likes this.

Last edited by shootnstarz; 08-02-2015 at 09:43 AM.
shootnstarz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2015, 10:04 AM   #8
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootnstarz View Post
DON'T DO IT !!!! It's addicting. I've spent countless thousands of hours on the fishing pier, it became an obsession. There I was thousands of miles away in Germany dreaming every night about king fishing from the pier, EVERY NIGHT !!

Not dreaming about my job of keeping the commies on their side of the border, not dreaming about sweet frauline Elke, but about damn pier fishing !!!

Rick
This made me laugh so hard even though I know you were being half way
serious.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:55 PM   #9
Ruby Red Lip

I just want tot thank everyone for the great advice and help that you have provided i am working on getting the gear soon thank you PFF members'
Old 08-07-2015, 10:03 AM   #10
Grouper

outcast is having their sale in the next couple of weeks. go out there and pick up a penn fierce 4000 and a 7' rod for under $100 and youll be good to go
J0nesi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in