Spanish fishing at GSP - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Piers and Bridges > Piers and Bridges - General Q & A

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jigslinger

Old 05-23-2016, 10:59 AM   #1
Lip Ripper
Cigar Minnow

Default Gulf State Park Pier

Hi i am new to the forums and i have a few questions about some things. I am going to gulf shores for 2 weeks starting friday and i was wondering what the spanish were hitting on if they are still around? This will not be my first time saltwater fishing as this will be my 14th year at the gulf coast. Another question i have is are there any good spots for flounder that would be within reach from gulf shores? Thanks JD

Last edited by kansasbassdude2002; 05-23-2016 at 01:57 PM.
kansasbassdude2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2016, 04:23 PM   #2
Grouper

On the pier go just past the restrooms. Use a gotcha plug. You can get them at walmart. I was on the pier last month and even though I didn't have any luck, other people were catching them one after the other. Also different types of straw rigs work good. Get you some of those clear plastic bubbles and put a little water in them. throw out a straw rig and reel it in.

For Flounder you can try the pier, bumping shrimp, minnows or grubs along the bottom by the pilons or go to the jetties at Alabama point bridge or west beach pass on the gulf side.

If you want to catch a mess of good eating fish, go to the west beach pass, gulf side at daylight. Get some fresh shrimp and peel it and put it on a small hook and fish in the surf. You can catch the whiting running through there. I'll be down there the first week of June and I plan on wearing them out.
dsar592 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2016, 06:05 PM   #3
Lip Ripper
Cigar Minnow

Thank you for the reply . Are
there any specific colors of gotcha plugs? I use them a lot off the pier and surf for ladyfish and bluefish. I usually use chrome with a yellow head but I know there are many other colors available. Thank you again, JD

Old 05-23-2016, 11:53 PM   #4
Ruby Red Lip

Chrome/yellow head
Gold/Red head
All pink works really well for me
Pierrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2016, 09:57 AM   #5
Lip Ripper
Cigar Minnow

Thx Pierrunner i'll definitely be going out to buy some of those colors! Is there a certain time of day I should go or is anytime good? Is catching Spanish from the surf possible too? If so what do I need to know to catch them from the surf? Thx again, JD
Old 05-26-2016, 09:40 AM   #6
Grouper

I have never caught one from the surf but I guess its possible. I have always caught them and seen them caught on the pier after the bathrooms which is a few hundred yards out. When they start running, everyone starts catching them. A month ago I was there around 2pm and the bite was fast. I would just get several different colors of gotcha plugs and try them. The ones being used that day were gold with a red head and chrome with a red head or yellow head. Good Luck!!
dsar592 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2016, 10:11 AM   #7
Lip Ripper
Cigar Minnow

Thank you guys. Is the pcola beach pier getting any Spanish mackerel or is it just gsp? Also, what size wire leader would I need, if any wire is needed at all? Thanks again guys, JD
Old 05-26-2016, 09:08 PM   #8
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansasbassdude2002 View Post
Thank you guys. Is the pcola beach pier getting any Spanish mackerel or is it just gsp? Also, what size wire leader would I need, if any wire is needed at all? Thanks again guys, JD
Pensacola's catching plenty also and I usually use a 40lb flouro leader for Spanish, if their being finicky I'll drop to a 20 and just take some losses.
Hopin4aboat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2016, 12:19 AM   #9
Grouper

I quit using gotchas a long time ago. They're easy to get in trouble with. They're great lures with extremely sharp hooks that can end up in the wrong place if you aren't careful. I catch plenty on jigs, usually white or chartreuse 5/8 to 3/4 oz. They are much cheaper and safer. If you can get your hands on some hex head jigs they're even better. Good luck!
Crazy Old Phil likes this.
jigslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2016, 08:17 PM   #10
Cigar Minnow

What are ya putting on the jig head?
Bigdaddyk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in