Rod/Reel for Pier fishing - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Piers and Bridges > Piers and Bridges - General Q & A

Old 04-13-2016, 04:36 PM   #1
Mingo

Default Rod/Reel for Pier fishing

Guys, I'm headed to Orange beach in about a month and have decided I want to get a rod / reel setup just for Pier work. I'd like something I can work King with, caught those for the first time last year and had fun. I was just looking at the Penn reels and decided to jump over here and ask for your thoughts. Penn has more lines of reels than I know what to think about! My other two reels are Penn so I think I'd like to stick with them for this setup as well. Looking hard at the SSV6500BLS. Is this too much reel for my objective?

Are there some rod / reel setups that would give me a little more options for fishing the pier?
I'd like to keep the budget to around $250 (rod/reel/line). Willing to go a little more if warranted.
Finally, a few bait / lure recommendations to start with would be appreciated. I'd like to order some stuff in the next few days so I'm not down there sorting out kit.

Last edited by squirrel; 04-13-2016 at 06:00 PM.
squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2016, 01:25 AM   #2
Ruby Red Lip

This will run you a little over but a 706z and half hitch custom pier rod would be a pretty good start up choice if you wanted to go that route.
Pierrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2016, 08:36 AM   #3
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierrunner View Post
This will run you a little over but a 706z and half hitch custom pier rod would be a pretty good start up choice if you wanted to go that route.
I actually looked at those yesterday...but they are sold out at the moment. Do you have one?

Last edited by squirrel; 04-14-2016 at 09:44 PM.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:47 AM   #4
Ruby Red Lip

I don't have a half hitch my king/cobia rods rods are 9ft Gators, or seeker blanks that I had built
Pierrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2016, 05:09 PM   #5
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierrunner View Post
I don't have a half hitch my king/cobia rods rods are 9ft Gators, or seeker blanks that I had built
I talked to them yesterday, Half Hitch, they were asking under 80$ for the pier 7' rod. Seems pretty fair. Medium / Heavy action.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:39 PM   #6
OCD Reel Service/Repair
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
Guys, I'm headed to Orange beach in about a month and have decided I want to get a rod / reel setup just for Pier work. I'd like something I can work King with, caught those for the first time last year and had fun. I was just looking at the Penn reels and decided to jump over here and ask for your thoughts. Penn has more lines of reels than I know what to think about! My other two reels are Penn so I think I'd like to stick with them for this setup as well. Looking hard at the SSV6500BLS. Is this too much reel for my objective?

Are there some rod / reel setups that would give me a little more options for fishing the pier?
I'd like to keep the budget to around $250 (rod/reel/line). Willing to go a little more if warranted.
Finally, a few bait / lure recommendations to start with would be appreciated. I'd like to order some stuff in the next few days so I'm not down there sorting out kit.

I would get that reel. You can use it on the pier for anything plus have a reel you could use offshore if that ever come into play. Super strong reels.

"Wheelchair Accessible Fishing"
Ocean Master is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2016, 10:44 AM   #7
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Master View Post
I would get that reel. You can use it on the pier for anything plus have a reel you could use offshore if that ever come into play. Super strong reels.
I'm concerned that it's too much reel for a medium light rod setup for spanish. Do you have thoughts on that? Really wanting to have a balanced "right size" setup.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:54 AM   #8
OCD Reel Service/Repair
Blue Marlin

You always need 2 setups for the pier. You can catch Spanish on the smallest of outfits. A 3000/4000 sized reel is just right. You can catch kings on the same small reel if you want to have more fun.

I bet I've caught over a thousand Spanish on a Mitchell 300.

"Wheelchair Accessible Fishing"
Ocean Master is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2016, 12:37 PM   #9
White Marlin

Squirrel, look for a used 706Z or 704Z. A decent off the rack rod, like a 7 foot Ugly Stick Tiger will handle most kings and decent spanish rod.

Since almost all my custom rods got stolen, for king rods i am using a Tsunami 8 foot medium 5 star surf rod and a Kunan 8 foot medium heavy surf rod with 706Zs or Luxor 300s on them.
kingfish501 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2016, 05:37 PM   #10
Mingo

id go with a penn 706z the 9' king rod may be a little over the budget but it would work fine (plus you could surf fish if you wanted to) good bait are cigar minnows or large spoons can catch spanish and kings.

i would also have a good medium light rod for spanish and pompano
Caleb 850 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in