Ribbons - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Piers and Bridges > Piers and Bridges - General Q & A
Register Fishing Photos FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Advertise

Like Tree1Likes

Old 02-11-2016, 10:37 AM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Ribbons

Does anybody make ribbon rigs and would be willing to sell a few?
Pierrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2016, 11:39 PM   #2
FORMER Shore & Pier Guide
Grouper

The stores in Alabama have hundreds.
Call J&M, Top Gun or Sam's...
Pier#r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2016, 12:52 PM   #3
White Marlin

Gulf breeze has them.
kingfish501 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 07:22 PM   #4
Grouper

did anyone ever find out if they are legal in fla
weedline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2016, 08:12 PM   #5
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedline View Post
did anyone ever find out if they are legal in fla
This question on ribbon rigs come up annually here on the forum.......

Ribbon rigs,are not legal in Florida waters due to the rigs being "entangling devices".
When the writing( language used ) of the gill net ban back years ago, and Florida voters,voted overwhelming to ban gill nets, the language was changed to " entangling devices. So they are now illegal.
It makes no sense from a conservation standpoint when using this device as a method of catching alewives (LY's) for bait verses a bait cast net. These rigs ,catching two or three fish at most per drop or an individual throwing a 10' bait net catching several hundred baits per throw only to have 90% die when released...go figure.

Last edited by flounder1156; 02-18-2016 at 08:45 PM.
flounder1156 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2016, 12:55 AM   #6
FORMER Shore & Pier Guide
Grouper

At one time the TECHNICAL argument was raised that "Ribbon Rigs" are illegal in Florida.
Apparently that is no longer the 'official' interpretation as was asked (and answered by FWC) in the following thread ...
https://www.pensacolafishingforum.com...395337/index2/

Quote:
Visit Ask FWC to find answers fast, contact us and view your previous requests.
Create Date: 6/13/2014 10:06:00 AM
Reference # W014127-061314
Customer:
Category: Fishing, Saltwater Fish & Marine Organisms

Description: Are these rigs illegal to use now? Small net with a red ribbon running through them, catch the fish by the gills. Remember we used them in the 70s. Think they are called Pilchard rigs too. If they are illegal, cant we get a law to allow something like them just for recreational bait catching?

From: Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission <[email protected]>
Date: Monday, June 16, 2014 9:16 AM
To: xx
Subject: Ask FWC :: W014127-061314
xx: These are legal for the harvest of bait species. Thanks, Alan
Boat-Dude likes this.

Last edited by Pier#r; 02-19-2016 at 12:59 AM.
Pier#r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2016, 12:39 PM   #7
White Marlin

I make the ring ribbons. I wonder if FWC considers those to be entangling devices.
Old 02-20-2016, 04:16 PM   #8
Snapper

Pier #R , kingfish101 ..... this topic ,ribbon rigs ,was brought up here on the forum last year and I notified our FWC Law Enforcement Division to try and get a correct legal /illegal ruling of the law .
The question I asked " are ribbon rigs legal for baitfish harvesting in Florida waters".... was referred to the FWC legal division in Tallahassee , where the legal counsel returned the reply that ....."by the definition of the rig ,it's construction of netting material ,or wire , is considered an entangling device and under Fl. Statute is illegal in or on the state waters of Florida,.
I have seen these devices being used at area gulf piers...... Pensacola ,Navarree , Okaloosa Island for baitfish (alewives/ (LY) harvesting.
David .....the Ask FWC question and it's response you have cited , was from someone in the FWC marine fisheries management division who did not understand the law, rule language and wording. This wording of the rule and law are the end result of a constitutional challenge for a gill net ban legislation that was overwhelmingly passed by Florida voters nearly 15 years ago.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:32 AM   #9
White Marlin

Flounder, if FWC itself doesn't know, as per their response before, it is a flawed writing of the law, and unenforceable. The key word is "entangling device" because under that word, baitfish gilling themselves makes that castnet an entangling device, but taken literally, a mullet seine would be legal, since the mesh is too small for mullet to entangle. Hell, most sabiki rigs entangle bait if they roll up in it .

The intent of the law was to ban certain types of nets, but the language is incorrect.

Never trust a lawyer to interpret what the law says. They are trained to strain at motes of dust while ignoring boulders. Look at our commander in chief who is a lawyer and his ignorance of the law.

I'm going to copy that response from FWC saying ribbon rigs are legal and carry it in my wallet.
Old 02-21-2016, 01:35 PM   #10
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish501 View Post
Flounder, if FWC itself doesn't know, as per their response before, it is a flawed writing of the law, and unenforceable. The key word is "entangling device" because under that word, baitfish gilling themselves makes that castnet an entangling device, but taken literally, a mullet seine would be legal, since the mesh is too small for mullet to entangle. Hell, most sabiki rigs entangle bait if they roll up in it .

The intent of the law was to ban certain types of nets, but the language is incorrect.

Never trust a lawyer to interpret what the law says. They are trained to strain at motes of dust while ignoring boulders. Look at our commander in chief who is a lawyer and his ignorance of the law.

I'm going to copy that response from FWC saying ribbon rigs are legal and carry it in my wallet.
kingdfish501.... I did ask the FWC officer about this ASK FWC question and comment............... and the response that was given on the use or legality of ribbon rigs. He ( lieutenant ) carried the inquiry up the chain of command to Tallahassee legal section where the FWC attorney read the rule ,legislation banning "entangling devices" aka gill nets.
I agree with you on cast nets ,they are entangling devices... but the wording of the law to proposed to ban gill nets ,entangling devices law stated cast nets not more than (less than 14') and some other types of nets, are legal.
As I have stated ,not trying to come off as a smart ass. just trying to help.
I have seen these devices ...ribbon rigs.... being used the past three years from area gulf piers for catching alewives ,LY .In July when the tarpon run is is on ,the ribbon rig is about the only method to catch bait ....Sabiki rigs are useless.
A good idea you have .... Copy that reply and keep it on you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in