Pier/jetty rod advice please??? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Piers and Bridges > Piers and Bridges - General Q & A

Old 04-16-2012, 11:10 AM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Pier/jetty rod advice please???

Hi guys,
Thanks ahead of time for taking the effort to read this and hopefully answer. I need advice as I am looking to purchase a nice new rod for mostly pier, but some jetty fishing.

I am looking for something in the 10-11ft range, that has a fast action, able to cast lighter baits a decent distance. Something that when paired up with 20lb mono will be able to handle average sized kings, maybe cobia, but able to cast a gotcha or a freelined live cigar minnow. I alreday have quite a few rods, but casting distance is more important that being able to cast a large amount of weight.

I know this is a broad range of requirements, but any help would be greatly appreciated. Cost is not really a problem so any suggestions will be welcomed. Maybe even in the 9-11ft range as well.

Thanks once again

Karl
krhyde1066 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2012, 11:52 AM   #2
Ruby Red Lip

I just went from a 6'6" rod to a 9' Ugly Stik and I'm happy with the results.
paul s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 11:58 AM   #3
Trigger

If you have rods that you are comfortable with why not just invest the money in a nice reel? A nice Penn strung up with whatever you want will serve you fine. Ugly stick is my choice since that tip has always made me feel like i can still get finnese out of a larger stick.
I will say that for a 10 foot stick free lining and gotchas are not really what they were meant for. trimming it down to a 7-8 foot rod would probably give you the same distance with such a light bait.
this also comes from my experience as a fishermen in the north east where we try and chuck whole herring as far as we can with a 4oz lead on it, Fish up there don't mind braid unlike the kings down here.
Longbow14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2012, 12:29 PM   #4
Ruby Red Lip

Thanks guys for the answers. The best ones are always from experience.

After reading my own post I realised I had been asking to much of a broad question. Forget the gotcha's, I have smaller 7ft rods that cast them very well. I also have a bunch of surf rods that are good on the pier for casting large baits and weights a good distance.

I guess I am looking for rods between 9and 10ft that will cast a freelined cigar, dead or alive, at least 100yards from the pier. The reels are not a problem, I need to find the right rod. Something fairly long but with a medium action and a fast tip.

Any Suggestions?

Karl Hyde
krhyde1066 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 01:26 PM   #5
Trigger

Up north the die hards like Lamiglass, St. Croix, and Loomis. those are in the 150-250 range and frankly way outside my pocket range but looking around here Academy carries the Okuma (good in my book) http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/st...131+4294967146

and bass pro has Penn, diawa, and St. Croix rods. http://www.basspro.com/Saltwater-Fis...11d8v#Category stop by a shop and shake the snot out of one (ok maybe not that hard) so you can get the feel how how much whip the rod will have. spooled on a smooth real you should be able to chuck bait a fair distance. If you live near a field or even the beach you can practice by tying a sinker to the line and seeing what distance you can get. or just go fishing. that works too.
Longbow14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in