Pier fishing on a budget? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Piers and Bridges > Piers and Bridges - General Q & A

Old 04-14-2012, 04:01 PM   #1
White Marlin

Default Pier fishing on a budget?

I would like to start doing some pier fishing, but for right now I am on a fairly tight budget. What would be the basic required gear for starting out pier fishing? I need everything, from rod and reel to hooks and such. I suppose I would definately need a pier net as well...... any recommendations on what someone just starting out down here should get on a budget? Also, what baits should be used... any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. Are the Walmart rods good rods to use? What size rod would be a good all around rod?

So many questions..... Thanks in advance

In the future I do plan on getting better quality gear, but with us just starting out down here with our shop, the entertainment budget is a bit small... LOL Once we get established then better gear and possibly a boat is in the future..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2012, 04:43 PM   #2
Roll Tider
White Marlin

I wrote a guide and it is posted at the top of this section. You can view it HERE

You can find the equipment to get the job done at the prices you are looking for. May take some shopping around, or finding a used rod or two though. Hope this helps.
Austin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2012, 04:47 PM   #3
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze View Post
I would like to start doing some pier fishing, but for right now I am on a fairly tight budget. What would be the basic required gear for starting out pier fishing? I need everything, from rod and reel to hooks and such. I suppose I would definately need a pier net as well...... any recommendations on what someone just starting out down here should get on a budget? Also, what baits should be used... any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. Are the Walmart rods good rods to use? What size rod would be a good all around rod?

So many questions..... Thanks in advance

In the future I do plan on getting better quality gear, but with us just starting out down here with our shop, the entertainment budget is a bit small... LOL Once we get established then better gear and possibly a boat is in the future..
If I had one rod for pier fishing on a budget, I'd get an 8 ft ugly stick medium heavy spinning rod, the Catfish model is reasonably priced and about right. I'd add a Shakespeare Platinum Spinning reel, a size 50 if you're targeting kings or cobia, otherwise smaller. Opinions vary on line, but I'd go with 30 lb power pro even on a smaller size reel, you never know if you'll be fighting a big redfish or drum or if a cobia will pick up your crab or hardhead.

I like egg sinkers, usually a few 1/2 and 1 oz will do. Some size 1 or 2 hooks to hold live shrimp, some 5/0 to 7/0 for crab, some 1/0 for cut mullet or dead shrimp. Some big treble hooks and steel leaders for kings if you want to go after them. I spend money on fluorocarbon leader material, because I've seen it make a big difference. On a budget, you might get one 100 yard spool of regular 20-40 lb fluorocarbon fishing line which will be nearly invisible to the fish and work nearly as well as dedicated leader material for the less toothy species.

Don't worry about the pier regulars who might sneer at your multi-purpose rod. By the time you're ready to upgrade, you'll have a good idea what you need, and the rig I've descibed will be good enough for everything from sheephead to pompano to kings in the meantime.
“Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" - The Messiah
MathGeek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
I wrote a guide and it is posted at the top of this section. You can view it HERE

You can find the equipment to get the job done at the prices you are looking for. May take some shopping around, or finding a used rod or two though. Hope this helps.
I did read that, and it is very informative. Lot of good info there.. just looking for ideas for a simple basic set up for now. I will probably use alot of your info as well once I make up my mind on what set up to get started with.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:56 PM   #5
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
If I had one rod for pier fishing on a budget, I'd get an 8 ft ugly stick medium heavy spinning rod, the Catfish model is reasonably priced and about right. I'd add a Shakespeare Platinum Spinning reel, a size 50 if you're targeting kings or cobia, otherwise smaller. Opinions vary on line, but I'd go with 30 lb power pro even on a smaller size reel, you never know if you'll be fighting a big redfish or drum or if a cobia will pick up your crab or hardhead.

I like egg sinkers, usually a few 1/2 and 1 oz will do. Some size 1 or 2 hooks to hold live shrimp, some 5/0 to 7/0 for crab, some 1/0 for cut mullet or dead shrimp. Some big treble hooks and steel leaders for kings if you want to go after them. I spend money on fluorocarbon leader material, because I've seen it make a big difference. On a budget, you might get one 100 yard spool of regular 20-40 lb fluorocarbon fishing line which will be nearly invisible to the fish and work nearly as well as dedicated leader material for the less toothy species.

Don't worry about the pier regulars who might sneer at your multi-purpose rod. By the time you're ready to upgrade, you'll have a good idea what you need, and the rig I've descibed will be good enough for everything from sheephead to pompano to kings in the meantime.
Good info there, thats for sure. I am going to go down to one of the piers and see what some of they are using down there, but I am sure most of them are pretty well outfitted for most anything. I dont care if they sneer at me for my cheap set up, I just want to catch some fish... LOL Looking at the pictures on here of the fish they are catching on the piers has really gotten me back into the fishing mood... I just have to get a basic set up to catch what is here. Its a bit different from what we would use back up north on the rivers.....
Old 04-14-2012, 05:41 PM   #6
Grouper

Doug give me a call and let me see if I can hook you up with a starter package. NO charge, got more crap than I will ever use. Rick
850-232-3460
Feel The Need is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2012, 07:13 PM   #7
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel The Need View Post
Doug give me a call and let me see if I can hook you up with a starter package. NO charge, got more crap than I will ever use. Rick
850-232-3460
Cool! I will give ya a call shortly

Thanks!
Old 04-14-2012, 07:19 PM   #8
Trigger

hey if you live near the airport rd area the sports authority has a whole bunch of terminal gear and tackle half off. it's a great way to stock up on hooks (live bait/ high low rig hooks, or 1/0s for bait) sinkers, leaders, and a few swimming plugs and spoons for when fish are on the surface. and yes making friends with other fisherman is a great way to get extra gear and tips (a 6pack works well too)
Longbow14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2012, 08:25 PM   #9
Snapper

I wouldn't worry about a net. Most guys out there will help you.
Illinijeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2012, 08:38 PM   #10
Mingo

If you're targeting kings, DO NOT put braid on your reel. That is all.
Texas9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in