Pensacola Pier - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Piers and Bridges > Piers and Bridges - General Q & A

Old 07-19-2012, 02:56 PM   #1
Sailfish

Default Pensacola Pier

Whats up everyone?!

I'm typically a boater or Pickens beacher but I am wanting to catch a King. I have yet to even set the hook on one while fishing offshore. I am looking into possibly making a few pier trips in the next few weeks in hopes of maybe landing my first one. I have the access to rods and reels to pier fish but I don't have a pier gaff. My question is what is the code among the regulars, not really code but the rules of thumb? I don't want to go out there and ruin everyone's day by doing something out of order and what not. Also, since I lack a pier gaff will some one be willing to drop a gaff if I do luck up and hook a king? And if so what is the proper etiquette regarding the gaff lender? Like what do I do in return? An ice cold beer/drink, couple bucks? Just want to make sure that when I go I know what to expect so I don't come off rude and obnoxious. I have fished my ENTIRE life, just never on the piers.

Thanks,

EB
BigRed38 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2012, 03:09 PM   #2
Sailfish

There is usually someone willing to gaff the fish for you, usually no charge when I have been there... if you look real touristy they may bust ya with a surcharge lol... seriously though I think its a fine gesture for a couple of bucks a cold beverage as a show of gratitude for their help, have also seen some fillets shared... remember to point your rod down to get the fish to the gaff when he is done fighting. rules stay out of the locals way and watch what they do and there is allot you can learn from our local pier fisherman.

If you want rude and obnoxious come during Cobia season.
flukedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2012, 03:30 PM   #3
PrettyAwesomeWhiteGuy
Sailfish

You shouldn't have any issue getting someone to help you out with the gaff. A thank you and high-five is the only 'charge' that any normal pier fisherman/fisherwoman would expect. A beer or cold refreshment would be an awesome gesture on your part later in the day. I've never had issues in the past getting any help from other anglers when I needed it. You will meet some a-holes on the pier, its inevitable, but don't let them bully you...you paid your fishing fee just like them so ya'll are equals.

Good luck!
PAWGhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2012, 03:52 PM   #4
Trigger

I fish the pier a good bit, and the main thing is if you dont know what to do in a situation than ask a local. most times they will be glad to help you out. The basic rules are pay attention, do not bomb anyone elses bait, and and just basically watch what you are doing. some people go out there and have no clue what they are doing and act like they own the place, those people are frowned upon. Just go out and have fun. Dont be shy either, you will be surprised how fast you will make friends if you show up with a good attitude. Most people carry gaffs and they enjoy sticking the fish, a fist bump or "thanks" will work just fine.
bay slayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 11:24 PM   #5
Bridge/Pier Master
Trigger

LOL. Nobody will give you a hard time. Just come a fish. Were about having fun and catching fish.
SaltJunkie0226 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in