Pensacola Beach Pier Sightfishing - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Piers and Bridges > Piers and Bridges - General Q & A

Old 01-24-2009, 08:45 AM   #1
Blue Marlin

Location: PC Fl., Orange Bch, Eufaula Al., Lake Seminole Ga. , Camden Al.
Default Pensacola Beach Pier Sightfishing

Anyone that lives close enough to go to the Pensacola Beach Pier should count it while counting their blessings. It is a wonderful place to spend some extra time and it is truly a blessing to have easyaccess to the type of water that is the norm there.

I have spent a few morning and afternoon hours watching and waiting for Pompano to swim down the beach, and it is a gift to be able to have easy access to it if you do. The water is most commonly very clear and it is great for sightfishing most anything you care to fish for in season of course.

Sightfishing is something many people on the forum completely understand, but if you don't or have never done it, you should try it, as it adds a huge value to your experience. More or less you stand on the pier at the water depth your target species is most likely to be in and wait until you see the fish you would like to catch before you cast to it and attempt to fool it into taking your lure or bait. You can watch the fish and it's response to your attempt to trick it into taking your offering and sometimes the fishwill take and sometimes it may not, but either way it is a great way to fish, and the reward of catching a fish you spotted and witnessed your ability to fool is extremely rewarding, and something that most fishermen fall in love with very quickly.

There are alot of people that fish the Pensacola Beach Pier that have a great ability to see fish, and have alot of experience at fooling and catching them. These people are normally very helpful if watch them and learn from them.They are some of the most talented people I have ever fished with or around. But the pier is somewhat competitive as just as you are they are looking for fish too, and no different than you are trying to catch fish, sometimes the same fish as you, so understand the enviroment is a little different in "you and everyone else is in the same boat" more or less. With that understanding you will see that most will be very helpful and easy to meet.

I have had many a great conversation with the guys out there and spent a few hours looking at some of the prettiest water in the gulf. It is truly a blessing to have access to something as great as the Pensacola Beach Pier, and no one that has easy accessto it shouldtake it for granted. If you ask, I would bet there are many that would love to have the ability to just go fish it,before or after work. I wish I had time to go more often, as it has always been somewhat a therapy for me to spend some time out there, and I could use more therapy.

Go try sightfishing the Pier, and good luck. It is Awesome.
Garbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2009, 09:17 AM   #2
Splittine's step-pappy
Grand Slam

Default RE: Pensacola Beach Pier Sightfishing

awesome read garbo!!!! i'll fish next toy any day sir! :bowdown
Old 01-24-2009, 09:59 AM   #3
Sailfish

Garbo, we've had this conversation on more than one occasion. How "fooling" the fish and seeing it all happen is so much more rewarding than just merely cranking them in. I am certainly one that falls into the category of "I wish I could fish more." Now that I'm in Texas, there is some great fishing, but there is almost NO sightfishing, and that kills me! Piers are plentiful along the beach here (2 within a half hour drive for me), but I just can't get excited about soaking a live bait and sitting around waiting for a fish to find my bait in the chocolate milk.

You are exactly right. Anyone that has the opportunity to fish one of the local piers up there (or any sightfishing for that matter) should count it as a blessing and enjoy it every possible moment. Just yesterday I was driving down the roadand just daydreaming about throwing to a king mackerel and working a bait, then feeding it to him, then setting the hook. I miss the panhandle piers SO BAD! Hopefully I'll be back to visit soon.
facebook.com/BSTseptic
nb&twil is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2009, 10:10 AM   #4
Ruby Red Lip

People just dont understand that most of the pro fisherman,best fisherman from our area started on those piers.
NavinR.Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2009, 01:00 AM   #5
Grouper

Garbo, I have never formally met you but i have seen you at the pier once or twice. I hope i get the opportunity to meet you this year.

I fell in love with sight fishing the first time i fished at the pier when i was about 14. I have spent every available moment since doing it. There is nothing like seeing a King mackerel sucking down your cigar minnow of watching that cobia coming in from 200 yards away. It is something that i will be doing as long as i am capable and truly thankful that i was exposed to it at a young age.
Tyler Massey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2009, 01:13 AM   #6
Trigger

i will stick to blind jigging for pompano for god knows i cant hit a damn thing when im trying but when i just toss i end up in front of the big hungry ones
JLMass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2009, 06:42 PM   #7
Cigar Minnow

Anybody use Smelly Jelly on Pomp jigs?
Kingfshr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2009, 06:47 PM   #8
Splittine's step-pappy
Grand Slam

Quote:
Kingfshr (1/26/2009)Anybody use Smelly Jelly on Pomp jigs?
i've used it, and really don't notice too much of a difference, however, tip your jig with a sandflea a tad bit smaller than a dime, it'll make the difference.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:44 PM   #9
Sailfish

Good read Garbo..Maybe we can share a beer on the pier one day..I think the whole sightfishing thing is great..It also gives you an understanding of the action of the bait and how the knots affect them..When you are sightfishing youll get to see a fish eat and how the fish reacts to different presentations..You can apply this to blind casting too thus enabling you to catch more fish..
Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2009, 09:57 PM   #10
Ruby Red Lip

yall are very lucky to live where you are at! i've fished the pier a few times when i'm dowm visiting my daugher's family and each time i've had a ball! i fish out of murrells inlet s.c. and i fish a LOT. mostly near shore mostly kings and cobia or in the inlet itself for trout and spottails (redfish). i am pretty good at sight fishing on our flats but the guys that fish yalls piers are in a different league. they see fish and identify em before i even see em...and i used to think i was pretty good. if our water was has clear as yalls is i couldn't sleep at night just thinking about getting out there again. almost like fishing in a aquarium
tideline_two is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in