ONE Travel Rod - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Piers and Bridges > Piers and Bridges - General Q & A

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Yakavelli

Old 01-31-2017, 10:20 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default ONE Travel Rod

I am looking for suggestions for ONE durable travel rod for fishing from a pier with bait, knowing anything is possible. I am looking for a suggestion heavier rather than lighter and I would purchase an ugly stik type rod if they they had one in the size I wanted and in a travel rod style. Anyone know of one that would fit my need??
Charlessyverson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2017, 05:07 PM   #2
Cigar Minnow

I realize this is a tall order, but I don't fish piers/bridges enough to justify multiple rods. Also, I only fish these areas on vacation, so a travel rod that fits in my luggage is a necessity. I currently have a couple St. Croix Treks, but they are too nice to use in pier/bridge conditions. Ugly Stik make a travel rod, but I think it would be too light for this type of fishing. Any feedback on Okuma travel rods??
Old 02-03-2017, 09:10 PM   #3
Senior Yakker
White Marlin

I'm unclear on exactly what properties make any particular rod too "nice" to use on a pier? Enlighten us, please?
Splittine likes this.
Yakavelli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2017, 05:24 AM   #4
Cigar Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlessyverson View Post
I am looking for suggestions for ONE durable travel rod for fishing from a pier with bait, knowing anything is possible. I am looking for a suggestion heavier rather than lighter and I would purchase an ugly stik type rod if they they had one in the size I wanted and in a travel rod style. Anyone know of one that would fit my need??
What length of rod are you looking for and what weight does it need to cast?

I am in the UK, a pier rods for bait fishing are generally about 9ft or 10ft, but I suspect that might be longer than you guys generally use?

Not sure if it would be available in the US, but I know someone who uses one of these as a "truck rod" and has been very pleased with it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-039-8-03...620186111#rwid

Last edited by Pete E; 02-04-2017 at 05:30 AM.
Pete E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2017, 10:44 PM   #5
Cigar Minnow

Ok, so I received the Nomad, but i think it will be too much rod. So now I am looking at the Okuma Inshore Travel, which is a 20lb rod, which may be too light, a St Croix Tidemaster Travel in 20lb rod, still potentially too light, or a 30lb rod (too heavy?).

Anyone have any experience with any of these? I have read somewhere the Okuma is a little stiff for a 20lb rod, so maybe that will work. I have read multiple places the 30lb Tidemaster is a great rod for Tarpon, larger fish. Any feedback is greatly appreciated, as my vacation is coming up in a few weeks and I need to make a decision and order!! Thank you!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in