New to area - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Piers and Bridges > Piers and Bridges - General Q & A

Old 12-07-2016, 10:46 AM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default New to area

I just moved to Freeport from the central MS area. I have fished fresh water for bream, bass, catfish, crappie, etc.. my entire life. My only experience with salt water fishing has been deep sea fishing on charter boats. I don't have a boat but my wife and I do have kayaks. We are looking for some advice on where we can go and what we can use to catch some fish. We have fished some in the bay from our neighborhood pier (Hammock Bay) but the only thing I have been able to catch are hardhead catfish . I would really like to find something that we can bring back home and put on the table.

Thanks
snail71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2016, 06:18 PM   #2
Sailfish

Wait until April and start fishing either the Panama City Pier or the Panama City County pier. Lots of fish caught off these piers from April through November. Tarpon, Cobia, King Mackerel, Spanish, Bluefish, sailfish, redfish, pompano, ladyfish, bonita, etc.. are all caught from these piers.
reelthrill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2016, 02:52 PM   #3
Mingo

Hey snail,

Sounds like we are in a pretty similar situation. I live in Hammock bay and am pretty new to the area. Use to live in Pensacola and had a boat when I lived there, so I was pretty much starting off fresh when I moved here and got a kayak.

My father and I have done a decent amount of fishing around and the best spot we found was the mouth of the LaGrange Bayou (right off from Beatrice point road)... google maps it. We last went out about a month ago though... don't know what the weather has done to the bite.

We put in at marina village and paddled over. Trolled silver and gold spoons... hooked up with monster reds right at the mouth. Couple specks here and there.
Njydvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 03:40 PM   #4
Cigar Minnow

Njydr,

Thanks for the information. I had been looking at google maps and decided LaGrange might be a good place to try. I may give it a go in the kayak in the morning.
Old 12-10-2016, 05:52 AM   #5
White Marlin

This time of year sheepshead is the best fish to try for. Fiddler crabs fished around bridge pilings.

February, March things will pick back up.
stc1993 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2016, 11:23 PM   #6
Cigar Minnow

Default New to area

Been there, it's frustrating, this is my first year in Freeport (HB) as well.
Putting in my time & learning
I try & fish the HB dock at sunset, if you see me fly fishing say hey, I'll be glad to pass along some intel
Fishonbwg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2016, 07:00 AM   #7
White Marlin

If the bite is slow on the yaks you could always bass fish hammock bay 😎
NKlamerus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2016, 10:57 PM   #8
redfisher
Ruby Red Lip

I live inhb as well and never really caught anything off the hb pier either.get a hot spots chart for Choctaw bay and it shows the "hot spots". lagrange is a good spot you could also try alaqua in Portland as well. basin bayou flats @nicks on hwy 20 is a good grassy area too.theres a wreck out there. try&catch trey the owner of nicks and he can make some suggestions.
Redfisher53 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2016, 11:20 PM   #9
Cigar Minnow

Just fish the bayous and rivers this time of year. Work lures slow and use a long fluorocarbon leader when the water is this cold and clear.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Cynoscion27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2017, 09:32 AM   #10
Cigar Minnow

Thought I would post an update. I fished quite a bit, learned a lot, and finally managed to start catching some fish here and there. I have caught largemouth bass in 4 mile creek on soft jerk baits. Most of them have been small. Trolling spoons and soft baits with jig heads has produced the best for me. I have had the best luck in LaGrange Bayou putting in at Marina Village and fishing towards the bay, and putting in at HB bay club and trolling towards the mouth of LaGrange. I have found that getting out far enough to get into a little deeper water works best for trolling. Here are a couple of fish I've recently caught:

This red was 31 inches.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in