Need a Little Help Getting Ready to Go - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Piers and Bridges > Piers and Bridges - General Q & A

Old 03-07-2010, 11:07 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Need a Little Help Getting Ready to Go

I'm trying to get into pier fishing more this year. I have a 704Z and an 8' rod from Half Hitch that I bought in the later part of last year. Just trying to decide what lb line I should spool it with. I'll be looking to fish for cobia when they get here and kings/spanishlater on. I've been thinking about 20lb mono, since the reel will hold 225yds of it,but should I move up to a larger lbline and sacrifice thelength of line I can put on the reel? Or would you consider 20lb overkill? I'm also looking to clean the reel out very good before I put it to use. I've heard that these reels are pretty easy to clean. What exactly is the proper way to clean it out and grease it up again? Anyhelp isappreciated.
JRAIII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2010, 08:14 PM   #2
Mingo

Default RE: Need a Little Help Getting Ready to Go

it depends on how you put, if you want to use mono alot of people use 25 and 30 but that limits your casting quite a bit especially when alot of people are throwing with power pro, i have 40lb power pro on mine but alot of people dislike power pro due to the wind knots etc. but mono will catch just as many fish but you wont have as much range, the 704 will do just fine
Old 03-08-2010, 10:45 PM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

Thanks. I thought about using PowerPro, but I have heard and seen on this forum that alot of people don't like to use it on piers b/c of it cutting through other people's lines. As far as cleaning out the reel, does anyone know if this can just be done with water, and then grease it up really well afterwards?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2010, 11:23 PM   #4
Cigar Minnow

I have the same reel. I use Ande 25lb mono in Yellow Hi-Vis on it, if you want to increase casting distance, buy a product called Reel Magic, it reduces line memory, and makes your reel cast a little further, it also prevents the reel from corroding from the saltwater, as you spool it, maybye every 25 yards spray it with reel magic, it helped me cast alot better, braided line will also work well.
gulfcoastlee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2010, 11:28 AM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I will try the 25lb mono or the higher lb PowerPro. Do you guys use a mono/wireleader for cobia or no leader at all? I know everyone usesa wire leader for kings. Also if anyone can help out with info on cleaning up the reel I would appreciate it.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:56 PM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

Use mono or flourocarbon for cobia. No need for wire on them.
Liquid Fun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2010, 08:26 PM   #7
Mingo

60lb mono/flouro is what most people prefer and also what i use
Old 03-09-2010, 11:19 PM   #8
Cigar Minnow

TO CLEAN THE REEL JUST REMOVE THE SIDE PLATE OPPOSITE THE HANDLE, USE DAWN DISH SOAP WITH VERY HOT WATERAND AN OLD TOOTH BRUSH TO SCRUB IT OUT----IF IT HAS OLD HARD GREASE CAKED INSIDE DIG IT OUT WITH A MEDIUM, FLAT SCREW DRIVER BUT BE CAREFUL NOT TO PRY ON ANY PART. AFTER CLEANING LET IT DRY THEN RELUBE WITH ANY GOOD BRAND OF REEL GREASE
meathunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in