Need help! - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Piers and Bridges > Piers and Bridges - General Q & A

Old 04-22-2012, 11:15 AM   #1
Grouper

Default Need help!

I'll be going down to the panama city pier. What can I catch with a stinger rigged cigar minnow? Im not going to the end of the pier because I don't want to deal with those people. I'll fish right before it though. Can i still catch kings, and Bonita? I'll give the people my kings, etc, I have no place to keep them
Dragsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2012, 08:40 PM   #2
Grouper

I wouldn't worry about using a stinger hook. A #4 or #2 4x strong treble on a couple feet of sevenstrand steel leader, either 27 lb. or 60 lb. depending on water clarity works for me.
jigslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2012, 10:11 AM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

"Those People". Watchu mean bout "Those People"?
Neki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2012, 11:42 AM   #4
Trigger

You don't have to be on the very end of the pier to catch Kings...big smoker Kings will cruise the shallow bars as well as the shadowline of the pier looking to ambush injured and/or unsuspecting baitfish.

Using a stinger or cheater rig is fine too, although you don't really need them when big Kings are around, as they'll eat your entire bait. They're also a disadvantage when the water is gin clear and the Kings are leader shy, which means they can most likely see your stinger/cheater rig. Usually, stinger/cheater rigs are most useful when schoolie Kings or Spanish are only taking swipes at your bait and leaving you with nothing but the head.

Bonito of course, are best caught on a white jig and they too feed anywhere from a foot of water on out to past the T so you don't have to worry about not getting a shot at them either if you decide you don't want to fish the end of the pier.

A word of advice on those "people" on the end of the pier....they're locals who have probably fished that pier for years and years and as long as you don't come across as a know-it-all or try to go out there like you own the end, they'll usually go out of their way to help you out. They're really good people, most of them, and all you have to do is be cool until they warm up to you, which usually doesn't take long.

Welcome to paradise and best of luck!
KnotForReel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in