Need advice on pier setup - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Piers and Bridges > Piers and Bridges - General Q & A

Like Tree1Likes

Old 07-12-2015, 12:40 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Need advice on pier setup

I am absolutely 100% new to saltwater fishing. I am looking to get a complete setup to fish from the piers. Can somebody give me a detailed explanation of what type of rod, reel, line, bait etc... Are the cheap walmart rods decent enough to start out on? Better yet, if you are willing to take me out and show me some tricks, that would be great. I do a lot of fishing back home (Montana) but I am completely overwhelmed with all the different species, rods, reels, lines, baits, setups, and locations. I think a little hands on tutorial would be the most efficient way for me to learn the ropes.
dudeman51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2015, 01:51 PM   #2
FastCast Custom Rods
Grouper

You need a minimum of two rods.
8 to 9 ft rod rated 15-30 lb with a reel capable of holding 300 yds of line, this rod will be used to catch the predatory fish like, king mackerel, cobia, tarpon, sailfish, jack crevelle and large redfish.
You'll want a smaller rod 6-7.5 feet in length rated 8-17 with a reel capable of holding 120-200 yds of 10-12 lb test line. You'll use this rod to catch, pompano, spanish mackerel, hardtails, slot redfish, flounder and baitfish.
Most people fishing the piers have specialty rods for each predatory species and a couple of small rods, one rigged for bait and the other for whatever small species is currently running.
Yo-Zuri likes this.
Sea Pro SV1900CC Mercury 115 EFI
USN/USCG Retired
tiderider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2015, 01:56 PM   #3
FastCast Custom Rods
Grouper

I'm not a fan of Walmart rods but to each his own. I would check at the local tackle shops for affortable used gear or new equipment depending on your budget. Quality rods and reels while not always necessary to catch a fish or two will continue to perform over a duration of time and will pay for themselves in the long run.
Sea Pro SV1900CC Mercury 115 EFI
USN/USCG Retired
tiderider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 02:05 PM   #4
Trigger

It would be a good idea to go out and watch other anglers and ask some questions. Different species require different tackle. By observing before you buy, it will give you an idea of what works.

As Tiderider mentioned, you'll need more than one outfit, and buy the best tackle you can reasonably afford. I've seen a lot of good fish lost due to inferior tackle.
TarponDan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2015, 03:15 PM   #5
White Marlin

I wouldn't waste my money on Wal-mart gear. The 1st time you use them in saltwater they won't be worth nothing. I'd shop around for some good used gear at a good price. They're available you just have to look around. Ocean Master or Pompano Joe could probably set you up with some good gear.
stc1993 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2015, 04:28 PM   #6
White Marlin

Everyone on the pier will think you have to have a $1000 set up to catch fish but honestly if you spend around a $100 or $200 on a decent combo it will catch the same fish and won't break after the first use unlike a Wal mart combo. The best way to learn is to go out there and watch what everyone is doing.
southern yakker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2015, 08:00 PM   #7
OCD Reel Service/Repair
Blue Marlin

You will learn all you need in one trip to one of the beach pier's. I'm sure there are some folks out these that will take a few minutes to show you what's needed and how things are done.

It's addicting too. Once you start going you will want to go everyday.

"Wheelchair Accessible Fishing"
Ocean Master is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2015, 09:16 PM   #8
Ruby Red Lip

I've never had an issue with "walmart" combos. I've got a shakespeare tiger combo rod that I've had for over 12yrs and it still holds its own weight. I just picked up a berkley spinning combo from walmart for 29.99 and I go out every weekend and haven't had a single issue with it, I even caught a 5ft blacktip on the berkley and numerous fish on the shakespeare. Yes I have a few ugly sticks but the combo is my go to rod all the time
mustangmike89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2015, 09:38 PM   #9
Cigar Minnow

Thanks for all the input. I know myself, and I am likely go spend a few hundred bucks without really having the experience to know what to get. I am only going to be here for a year so id like to only have to buy a rod one time. What is a decent mid range rod/reel that I should look for? Im completely okay with buying used except I really dont know what to look for or price ranges etc...
dudeman51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2015, 09:48 PM   #10
Trigger

Shimano Sedona and a med heavy Ugly Stik will get most of your work done for you for around $110 or so.
Cory S. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in