Just looking for some general advice - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Piers and Bridges > Piers and Bridges - General Q & A
Register Fishing Photos FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Advertise

Old 08-30-2019, 11:42 AM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Just looking for some general advice

I am going to be staying in Pensacola Beach in June with my family and was hoping to get out and do some fishing. I'm by no means an avid angler, I'm in GA and will get out to a pond maybe twice a year at best and fish for some bass, bluegill, catfish, etc. I'm hoping to get some suggestions for a decent rod/reel that will be sufficient, but not break the bank. I'll probably be mostly hitting one of the piers, but I may also throw out from the surf a little. So just kind of looking for a good all around rig to get the job done.
Thanks, Trent
tesmith526 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2019, 10:28 AM   #2
Snapper

I suggest a penn fierce 3 combo from amazon 5000 size reel on 8' rod for $109. Fill it up with 15lb mono, or 20lb braid. I have never been a big fan of fishing any of the gulf piers, just too hectic for me. Bob sykes bridge tends to be a little less crowded, and spanish should be around in june. You can also catch mangrove snapper and flounder around the pilings.
Old 09-01-2019, 12:51 PM   #3
White Marlin

You don't need a licence to fish from the pier (or a charter boat), but you do from shore, bridges, or a private boat. I think the pier still rents tackle for cheap $? A charter boat will provide all tackle and bait. Best chance of catching some good fish is on a charter. It won't cost much or any more than a good rod/reel/tackle/bait and licence, maybe even less. They even clean the fish for you!
Flounderpounder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in