I want to catch a kingfish. - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Piers and Bridges > Piers and Bridges - General Q & A

Old 06-05-2012, 10:01 PM   #1
Grouper

Default I want to catch a kingfish.

With all the weed in the surf right now I think Im gonna hit up one of the local piers tomorrow to try my luck at a kingfish.. Ive never targeted them before as I stay on the beach and go for pompano, alot more peaceful that way.. I have a couple questions regarding pier fishing.

1. I have a 8' Star Aerial Rod with a Penn 750 SS spooled with about 350 yards of 12 lb. mono. Should this suffice?

2. I know I need a steel leader, but how long? Also what kind of hook do I use?

3. Bait? Live, fresh dead, frozen?

4. Do I need to use some lead (sinker)?

5. Best time of day to target these fish?

6. Which pier around here is less "crazy"? Not a big fan of dealing with douchebags. I live in Navarre and dont mind driving a bit.

If there are any other tips or tricks you can help me out with
id really appreciate it. Thank you
FUPAGUNT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2012, 10:03 PM   #2
Grouper

Also what times do the different piers open?
Old 06-05-2012, 10:14 PM   #3
Cigar Minnow

Bait shop will have a king leader with proper treble ready to go for a couple bucks. I always do fine with frozen cigar minnow. No weight just let the bait float and cross fingers or try your luck sight casting. 12# test a little light but if you can work the drag and fight the fish you'll be ok. Just make sure you let him eat the bait for a few seconds before you jack up on him then hold on!!! Pier rats everywhere and they smell fear. Elbow up to the rail and do your thing. It is a public pier after all.
nick850 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2012, 10:45 PM   #4
Snapper

I don't fish piers, but kingfishing is pretty straightforward. I like using one and a half or two feet of 40 or 60lb sevenstrand with a #2 treble hook (depending on bait I use). I typically have frozen cigar minnows if I'm not able or too lazy to catch live bait sometimes. Smaller spanish or mullet work too. Like said already, when you're freelining, let the king eat the bait for a few seconds before you set the hook.
First Catch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 10:47 PM   #5
Blue Marlin

If you had gone to Navarre today you couldnt NOT have caught a king. They were on fire, good fish too, not the typical little schoolies you see this time of the year.

Most use sevenstrand in the forty pound range and a single number two or four treble. Throw out on the same side every one else is, let it sink a couple feet and give it a few jerks and reel up your slack to bring it back to the surface. No lead. Frozen cigs will work just fine but bring a sabiki just in case. Pretty simple really. The pier shack at Navarre sells pre made rigs.

Dont be dumb and get in some ones way when they are hooked up or constantly throw over some one else and youll be fine. Dont be like some people and leave your balls at home and get easily offended. Watch, learn and listen and youll be treated just fine.
JD7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 10:49 PM   #6
Grouper

Thanks for the advice fellas! Do you think I should re-spool with 15 lb? Also you just hook the treble through the eye of the frozen cig right? What kind of live bait can you catch on a sabiki out there would work?

Last edited by FUPAGUNT; 06-05-2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:52 PM   #7
Grouper

Also what time of day is the best?
Old 06-05-2012, 10:56 PM   #8
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD7.62 View Post
If you had gone to Navarre today you couldnt NOT have caught a king. They were on fire, good fish too, not the typical little schoolies you see this time of the year.

Most use sevenstrand in the forty pound range and a single number two or four treble. Throw out on the same side every one else is, let it sink a couple feet and give it a few jerks and reel up your slack to bring it back to the surface. No lead. Frozen cigs will work just fine but bring a sabiki just in case. Pretty simple really. The pier shack at Navarre sells pre made rigs.

Dont be dumb and get in some ones way when they are hooked up or constantly throw over some one else and youll be fine. Dont be like some people and leave your balls at home and get easily offended. Watch, learn and listen and youll be treated just fine.
So fish them on the surface? Once the bait starts sinking should I reel it in and cast again?
Old 06-06-2012, 12:38 PM   #9
Cigar Minnow

U always go during the suniest hours. Cig shouldn't sink much. Just keep it close enough to the surface you can see it. Couple little jerks of the rod it should come back up. On a sabiki you can catch hard tails and stuff like that. I usually hook them in under the chin and out the forehead. Hook live bait through the back dorsal
nick850 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #10
White Marlin

I use 15lb mono 27 lb sevenstrand and number 2 4X strong trebble hooks. I hook a frozen cig from the middle of the forehead down and out the bottom jaw. If its a live threadfin I hook on the topside and for a hardtail I hook on the bottom near the tail.

Cast let bait sit for a min or two and the twitch it in a few feet, reel up slack and repeat. The best way to learn is watch someone do it and then replicate. As for the pier I would go to Nazarre or Orange Beach AL (Where we usually go). I try and stay away from the p-cola pier and the trash that frequents the end.
Hopin4aboat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in