How to tie a Bubble/Straw Rig? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Piers and Bridges > Piers and Bridges - General Q & A

Like Tree1Likes

Old 07-13-2012, 01:36 AM   #1
Grouper

Default How to tie a Bubble/Straw Rig?

Whats the best way to tie these rigs? They were tearing up the spanish with them today at the pier and I seemed to be the only one without this rig Can anyone do a step by step maybe with pics? Might be a good idea for a sticky for others wanting to learn how to tie one.. Thanks in advance
FUPAGUNT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2012, 02:20 AM   #2
Grouper

I just found this:
http://fishingdestinguide.com/BUBBLERIGS.html
FUPAGUNT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2012, 05:46 AM   #3
BAMCIS
Trigger

I put some bbs inside mine to make more noise.
TnRebel likes this.
milesvdustin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2012, 07:17 PM   #4
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUPAGUNT View Post

By the way, aside from the items they showed that could be used as the 'lure' part of that rig, a small clark spoon is another excellent option. Also small flashy flies that would normally be way too light to cast without a fly rod if not for the bubble. I wouldn't mind catching one on a straw just for the novelty of it (yeah, I'm one of those wackos that likes to try things just to be adventurous)

I just returned home (to Massachusetts - but I'm a former resident of the fine sunshine state) from another part of FL and smacked the albies ('bobos' to you fine folks down south) on that rig as well as some cero mackerel...although I caught plenty of smacks as well, I was flyfishing from a jetty for those fish.

Btw, another nice option is a egg shaped (and sized) wooden dowel used in place of the bubble...it's something they sell in shops up here (not sure about down there)...but if you can get them, they cast a lot better than the plastic bubbles (even when the bubbles are filled with water) and they are more durable...if you're handy (I'm not), you can make them pretty easy...although shaped like an egg, the front end does have a small flat surface to add some splashing action..I'll try to post pics tonight if you have any interest
albacized is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2012, 07:36 PM   #5
Sailfish

I have never tried this rig, but i will now! thks for info!
grey ghost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2012, 12:38 AM   #6
Grouper

I know what you mean. I was at the pier a while back and the spanish were being pulled in left and right and everyone had these bubble rigs. I had never even seen them before. I threw everything I had and could not catch one. I went and bought me some bubble corks and I'll be ready the next time. They work!!
dsar592 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2012, 02:24 PM   #7
Local 28 Years
Trigger

Very easy to make.They sell the bubbles at walmart.You can use left over McDonald's straws if you want.But best color that has worked for me is any shade of green.Been doing it since 1988...

BTW,damn good idea on the BB's!!! I'm gonna try that!!!
Trucki-n-ihsiF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2012, 03:48 PM   #8
T2F
Cigar Minnow

I put plastic beads in mine to keep from having to adjust the water level. Its always the perfect weight. I also use 50# mono with ~3" of rubber tubing from walmart. yellow or green mostly; but pink and orange work well too.
T2F is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2012, 03:52 PM   #9
WW2
Sailfish

This is one of my favorite rigs. The straws get tore up pretty quick. There is a rubber tube that is used to hold on sunglasses. I buy a bunch of those tubes of varying colors and cut them to length. They are pretty cheap and they stand up to the teeth of Spanish, hard tails, ladyfish, bobo's and bft's pretty well.
WW2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2012, 02:09 PM   #10
Little fish, big pond
Ruby Red Lip

Thanks for asking and answering this question. Recently I was told about the rig, but not shown one, so I made one on my own this past weekend and used the whole straw! Maybe that is why I had no bites. I put little plastic beads in mine, because I found BBs would not fit.
RipinLips is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in