How 2 Free line live bait - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Piers and Bridges > Piers and Bridges - General Q & A

Old 05-21-2009, 09:44 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default How 2 Free line live bait

Hi, i have nerver done it.So i need toi know how to Free Line a Live Bait of a Pier for KINGS.I need to know what Bait to use.How big and what kind of Leader to use and how to fish with this Free Lineing Live bait.

I have a 10 Foot Beach/Surf Rod with a large Open Face Spinning trype REEL trhat holds 250 yards of 20 test mono, are 300 yards of 15 test mono. Is this Rig OK?

I need to know it all guys.Thanks
DaFox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2009, 09:54 PM   #2
Mingo

Default RE: How 2 Free line live bait

Alright first off you may want a bigger reel or just go with power pro cuz the kings like to spool people. i use a penn 750 with a bout 450 yds of 50lb power pro and 50 yds of 30lb mono backing to hold it. For bait and rigs, I use 81 lb wire leader with a single size 3 treble hook or a stinger rig with 2 size 2 treble hooks. Bait: live hardtails(blue runners), live mullet in the plus size andfrozen cigar minnows work good. your rod will be fine but your reel would be better with power pro but its expensive and so is a new reel. 250 yds will be fine for a 20lb and under king but anything above that and your pushing it cuz chances are you will get spooled :banghead. I hope this helped.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:08 PM   #3
Cigar Minnow

Thanks, i might try and run me down a bigger reel.But how do i rig it up and fish it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2009, 01:17 PM   #4
Mingo

That is plenty of line, but if it is a low quality reel and you hook a large king you may have drag issues= broken line.Most regular pier guys frown on braid when king fishing. Old school Mitchell 302'shold about 330yds or so of 15 lb, andyou will see nearly as many of those on the piers as the reels that hold more. Most schoolies won't take 1/3 of it. The 10' rod is big, but if you don't fish much I wouldn't buy one until I knew I really liked to do it and knew exactly what I wanted. Once you are addicted, you will want a custom built 9'rod.That is the first tell-tale sign of the incurable sickness.
FishAddict is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2009, 02:31 PM   #5
Cigar Minnow

Thanks FishAddit.I use to Fish alot back home in NC off the Outer Banks.I had a bad Stroke 5 years ago and not done any fishing at all since then.But i can tell you right now i am a ADDIT,just been held back by health for a long time.I had a 13 footer custom built back in the mid 70s.It was a Beast to handel all day,But when a 35+Pound Red Drum is on the other end.WELL,I love it,lol.The 10Footers ithinking about going to get.Do you think a 9 Footer would be Better?.I want what best,just need to know.Thanks
Quote:
FishAddict (5/22/2009)That is plenty of line, but if it is a low quality reel and you hook a large king you may have drag issues= broken line.Most regular pier guys frown on braid when king fishing. Old school Mitchell 302'shold about 330yds or so of 15 lb, andyou will see nearly as many of those on the piers as the reels that hold more. Most schoolies won't take 1/3 of it. The 10' rod is big, but if you don't fish much I wouldn't buy one until I knew I really liked to do it and knew exactly what I wanted. Once you are addicted, you will want a custom built 9'rod.That is the first tell-tale sign of the incurable sickness.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:00 PM   #6
Mingo

He's right about the rod but they are gennerally expensive I own 3 customs and my king rod alone is 230 bucks but i fish with it alot so i get my moneys woth out of it. Most custom king or cobia rods will have wide ring guides so you can spot them by that and they are gennerally alot lighter than most others.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in