gulfshores fishing pier. - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Piers and Bridges > Piers and Bridges - General Q & A

Old 06-28-2009, 02:32 PM   #1
Trigger

Default gulfshores fishing pier.

what is the status on the gulfshores fishing pier? any updates?
pelagicone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2009, 11:54 PM   #2
Cigar Minnow

Default RE: gulfshores fishing pier.

from talking to some guys that work there they said its done just waiting on some of the states crap they gave me a aug.1st opening date
whiskersticker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2009, 12:27 AM   #3
FORMER Shore & Pier Guide
Grouper

This was posted on the Orange Beach website today (Tuesday)
http://www.orangebeach.ws/2009/News/...y_23_2009.html

A slideshow of the completed pier...

http://picasaweb.google.com/orangebe...25496560100898

We can expect an OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT in the Wednesday (July 1) Mobile Register

The article will include information on pricing, rules, etc.

:clap

:letsparty
Pier#r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2009, 09:33 AM   #4
Trigger

http://blog.al.com/press-register-sp...to_open_j.html
river rat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2009, 12:26 PM   #5
Snapper

sweet. we are coming down the 1st through the 8th so we will check it out I am sure. Are they open 24 hours?
dpewitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2009, 12:30 PM   #6
White Marlin

i would imagine 24 hrs i read somewhere ( not 100 percent though)it was 8 for a day 40 fora weekly at 320
Old 07-01-2009, 05:12 PM   #7
Grouper

They are usually open 24/7 from April thru October.

Here's a link to the full article as it appeared in the Wednesday paper...

http://www.al.com/outdoors/mobilereg...xml&coll=3
Pier into the future: After five years, new Gulf State Park Pier set for July 23 opening
Wednesday, July 01, 2009
By JEFF DUTE
Outdoors Editor
Quote:
Shortly after Hurricane Ivan destroyed the Gulf State Park Pier in September 2004, many fishermen began counting down the time until a new pier would be built.
On Tuesday, Alabama conservation department officials announced that the clock would officially reach 00:00 at 9 a.m. on July 23. That's when Gov. Bob Riley is expected to cut the ribbon to open the 1,520-foot-long pier after more than 18 months of construction and a bid cost of $16.2 million.

"As you know, good things come to those who wait. We had hoped to open the new Gulf State Park Pier this spring, but Mother Nature decided otherwise," state conservation commissioner Barnett Lawley said. "That said, the new pier will be the longest on the Gulf Coast and will reach more than 1,500 feet into the Gulf of Mexico.

"This facility will provide unparalleled educational opportunities for students and teachers alike to view and experience first-hand the intricate ecosystem that thrives on Alabama's coast. It will also give Ala bamians and visitors unequaled access to great sightseeing along our beautiful beaches and shore line. The wait will be well worth it."

That also appears to be the sentiment among fishermen who regularly fished the old pier, said David Thornton, who spent 35 years learning to catch fish along its weathered rails. Thornton said he has kept in touch with many of the people who shared those rails with him.

"I think the consensus is that it's been worth the wait," Thornton said. "But it sure has been a long time ? more than four years ? and that time hasn't gone by quickly.

"The pier will be a very consistent, accessible place to fish and there's a lot of camaraderie that developed over time on the old pier, and it's that social aspect of fishing on the pier that we've been missing, too."

Thornton predicts the pier will open up opportunities to catch fish species that were out of reach for the old pier, which had an end octagon in about 12 feet of water. The new pier's end will be in 26 to 28 feet of water.

"There are a bunch of us who are eager to give a shot and get a taste of what we knew we were missing. The old pier was always a good inshore pier because of the shallow water and there were good pelagic (migratory) opportunities at certain times of the year," he said. "Now, it's like there are two piers out there. We'll still have the good inshore fishing, but we'll also have a whole new pier outside that second (sand) bar."

A "soft opening" is planned a few days before July 23, said the conservation department's chief engineer, Terry Boyd.

"We don't want the governor and a thousand people to be out there and the drink maker doesn't work," Boyd said.

Boyd said parks personnel will begin the process of stocking the concession areas, putting up signs and doing anything else necessary to get the pier ready for fishermen. He added that the state transportation department also must install a stoplight at the intersection of State Park Road and East Beach Boulevard.

"The contractor may still be on site after Friday tying up a few loose odds and ends, but the contractor is not going to be a problem with opening the pier," Boyd said.

Prices to fish the pier have increased across the board, but Gulf State Park assist ant superintendent Trey Myers said it is still a great value.

"The cost of living has had an impact, but the facility is triple what we had with the size of the pier and the amenities out there now," he said. "The cost has gone up on everything, but the pier is still a great value."

Based on the new daily rate of $8, Myers pointed out that the weekly rate of $40 gives the angler two days of free fishing, the monthly rate of $80 results in two weeks free, the $160 semi-annual rate gives four months free and the annual rate of $320 affords a full eight months of free fishing.

Myers said the pier will almost certainly have an impact on the demand for the park's campsites.

"The cabins and cottages stay booked through most of the year, but I'm sure it'll increase the demand on our 496 campsites," Myers said. "With the camp store, new nature center, boat docks and pool and pool house under construction all in the campground, the pier will help re-establish the park as a vacation destination place for people from all over the country."
Kudos to JD for staying on top of this, and giving an old salt his "15 minutes" ;-)

See y'all out there on the 23rd

Some other things he talked about (to me, but were not covered in the article):
4 rods per angler ($3.50 each for any additional rods)
ONE ROD in use per angler at a time so...
NO TROLLEY FISHING (Trey told him)
Shark Fishing? (He was going to ask Trey, so I don't know that yet)
Old 07-01-2009, 08:23 PM   #8
Trigger

thanks forall the info. i grew up fishing the pier, i cant wait to get back.

pelagicone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2009, 08:46 PM   #9
Cigar Minnow

Well, I know it's been talked about on different boards and I will do some homework-but-am I remembering correctly that LY ribbons are officially banned as a "snare" in Alabama? Bait flies and the secret gold hooks will still work I'm sure, but am not wanting any negative visits with the man. Surely bait nets and buckets will be ok tied to the rail? I guess I'll find out this and other stuff such as power outlets for my minnow bucket after my 1st visit. Gotta beef up for the hike from the car to the rail.
Boodro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2009, 10:45 PM   #10
Grouper

Really, I have NEVER heard ANY reference to LY ribbons being illegal in Alabama.

Are you thinking of FL where they are illegal?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in