Difference between P'cola Pier and Gulf Shores - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Piers and Bridges > Piers and Bridges - General Q & A

Old 07-11-2012, 10:41 AM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Difference between P'cola Pier and Gulf Shores

I've been to both piers, but it's been a year, think last time I went to the Gulf Shores Pier. We're coming down from AR in mid August and just wondering what yall think the main differences between them. We'll be camping a Big Lagoon State Park. I'm sure I'll hit both of them, but just looking for some "insider info"

Thanks in Advance!!!

I like to hang out at the end an try Kings and spanish in the morning. I'll also have my wife an 12 y/o and they just like catching fish. I can give his a sabachi and he'll catch hard tail until his arm wears out. But he realy like keeping fish and eating something he caught.
ARfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2012, 11:06 AM   #2
Ruby Red Lip

Am I correct that to fish the GS pier it requires a fishing license, but at P'cola it doesn't?
Old 07-11-2012, 11:47 AM   #3
Snapper

pcola pier you need no license. but i would get one, they are free from any bait shop. takes a minute to get one.
stevesmi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
Squid technician
Grand Slam

Your pass on the GS pier covers your license. You don't have to purchase a seperate license to fish off of it. P'cola pier I believe is in slightly deeper water and the water is generally cleaner east of P'cola pass. As far as fishing goes, I don't know which can claim to be a better pier as both seem to do pretty well. I do know that the GS pier catches a LOT of kings. Could be the off colored water, but there is certainly an abundance of them there.
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2012, 12:33 PM   #5
White Marlin

you WILL need a separate license on gulf shores pier(NOT INCLUDED IN THE DAILY PIER PASS)....but the state offers a pier only license and for out of state residence it is only 11.00 and change for a year long license....but is pier only!!!!you can't go to Alabama point or the beach without a regular salt water license

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
Your pass on the GS pier covers your license. You don't have to purchase a seperate license to fish off of it. P'cola pier I believe is in slightly deeper water and the water is generally cleaner east of P'cola pass. As far as fishing goes, I don't know which can claim to be a better pier as both seem to do pretty well. I do know that the GS pier catches a LOT of kings. Could be the off colored water, but there is certainly an abundance of them there.
not to start anything..... but I would think you would know....maybe you wouldn't... living in Alabama and not needing one yourself ....but have given wrong info on this matter....sorry....not calling you out, but educating....as I am an out of state person and fish gulf shores pier when down and know what is needed with in the law

and I go fish the gulf shores pier because i find the people are nicer....maybe because no alcohol is allowed???? not real sure.... but I find it friendlier....not saying the pensacola can't be....just my preference and opinion
a link for the Gulf shores pier forum if you haven't found it before
http://www.gulfshorespierfishing.com/

Bill
..........................................semi-RETIRED......

Last edited by ironman172; 07-11-2012 at 02:16 PM.
ironman172 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2012, 12:55 PM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

I'm from Arkansas
Old 07-11-2012, 12:58 PM   #7
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post

I called the pier they say you do need a license
Old 07-11-2012, 01:15 PM   #8
White Marlin

ARfisherman the license is only 11 bucks for the year. I live about 20 mins from P-cola pier but I drive the hour + everytime I go to a pier simply because the people at GS pier are much nicer and helpful if you ask. We usually catch a few kings and bull reds at GS when we go. All in all its a better fishing experience I think. Oh and if your into fishing at night the GS pier has lights that shine in the water brings in some nice specs and a few flounder.
Hopin4aboat is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2012, 05:40 PM   #9
Ruby Red Lip

What about Navarre Pier I've never been there. I'll be down mid August.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:49 PM   #10
Squid technician
Grand Slam

WOW! I honestly didn't know that you had to have a seperate license! I've never been checked for a license when going on the pier, but admittedly, I do not fish the pier as often as I once did. Either way, I'm sorry for the false info and Ironman you are right, I should know considering I work in a tackle shop and deal with pier anglers every day.

I'm curious though. If a current license is needed, why have I never been checked when paying my daily pass? Is this something that recently went into effect? Its been several months since the last time I was there.
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in