Did You Know? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Piers and Bridges > Piers and Bridges - General Q & A

Old 07-17-2009, 08:22 PM   #1
Grouper

Default Did You Know?

In Alabama on the Gulf Coast that you cannot fish from public boat launches built by the state period....No cast netting...catching bait....ect....They were built by boaters money for boating only...Even if you intend to launch your boat on a day thats not too busy and youre not in anyones way you are supposed to just launch and move on. I did not know this until I was gonna fish from the Cotton Bayou launch in Orange Beach awhile back....i was told to fish to one side or the other, but not on the dock....this law doesnt make sense to me especially when its not busy.
saltfisher1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2009, 08:36 PM   #2
Sailfish

Default RE: Did You Know?

Quote:
saltfisher1 (7/17/2009)In Alabama on the Gulf Coast that you cannot fish from public boat launches built by the state period....No cast netting...catching bait....ect....They were built by boaters money for boating only...Even if you intend to launch your boat on a day thats not too busy and youre not in anyones way you are supposed to just launch and move on. I did not know this until I was gonna fish from the Cotton Bayou launch in Orange Beach awhile back....i was told to fish to one side or the other, but not on the dock....this law doesnt make sense to me especially when its not busy.

makes alot of sense .i wish florida would do it.cant tell you how many times we get to the dock and have to sit there while the guys fishing on the dock look at us like were in there way and wont reel in there lines like im supposed to go around tham and than when i drop the driver off at the dock to have to hear remarks that we just scared away all the fish.

just banning it makes it so much easier so the fwc wont have to police the docks to make sure the dock is being used for what we pay 10 dollars to dunk the boat per trip.
-=Desperado=- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2009, 08:44 PM   #3
Grouper

The thing is...i get out of the way when I see a boat coming in or going out....Hell..i've even helped folks load there boats and strap them in.....I guess folks in the past have already screwed up a potential fishing hole for my land lubbing arse....Most of the time I am just there for about 30 to 45 minutes to get some pinfish or croaker then head out to the pass or gulfside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2009, 10:53 PM   #4
Trigger

Quote:
saltfisher1 (7/17/2009)The thing is...i get out of the way when I see a boat coming in or going out....Hell..i've even helped folks load there boats and strap them in.....I guess folks in the past have already screwed up a potential fishing hole for my land lubbing arse....Most of the time I am just there for about 30 to 45 minutes to get some pinfish or croaker then head out to the pass or gulfside.

Wished everyone was like you...but I'm with Will....I'd rather have boat ramps for boaters.
John Becker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2009, 11:36 PM   #5
Grouper

What about a simple sign.."yield to boaters"....or build a separate pier in the same area for a person just wanting to get bait?...I dont think the law is sending the right message.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:39 PM   #6
Blue Marlin

Send a message via AIM to fisheye48

put in galvez the other night to do some fishing on the lights....the wind and current were both going the same way and both were in a hurry...the group sitting litterly right next to the dock proceeds to hollar at me that they have lines out and i need to watch out! there needs to be a buffer zone around public launches from swimming and fishing....guess somebody has to get hurt before they will change it
fisheye48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2009, 11:47 PM   #7
Grouper

Let me add one thing........."Disabilities"....Alot of the folks I fish with are disabled and need easy access places to go....There are not that many placs to go in Alabama that cater to handicap folks...Its kinda lame on the behalf of the state...Heres my point......These boat launches and such carry alot of fish and ar usually very accessable for folks in wheelchairs so why not make a fishing access point by every boat launch....Why not cater to the land bound guy at the same time...Not everyone can buy a boat...Not everyone wants one want or can park one....Dont just tell me to take them to the lame ass seawall or go to the damn pier.....I think they should be able to fish other spots too....If they want us to fish to the sides of the launches the clean them up and make them easier to get to.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:54 PM   #8
Grouper

One more reply then I'll make another big freakin point!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-18-2009, 12:23 AM   #9
Grouper

Boater money pays for boat launches..

fishermens money pays for fishing licences/marine resources/marinepolice

the everyday walmart/mom&pop tackle guy spends alot of time and money on the water usually with inexperienced fishers and lose / buy more gear.

There are more boat launches than there are public fishing spots.

heres the kicker....

With everything that youve said...No fishing on my "boat launch"...and such....Why the hell do boat fishers want to launch at some backwater spot just to make the turn into the Gulf and then fish 50 ft from the damn jetties and mess up 20 guys day?.....Why the hell should that crap be legal?...If thats legal then why cant I fish on the damn boat launch for freakin bait?

I wish that fat bastard at marine resources could get his fat ass out of that damn truck to write a damn ticket.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:56 AM   #10
Trigger

Quote:
saltfisher1 (7/17/2009)Boater money pays for boat launches..

fishermens money pays for fishing elicences/marine resources/marinepolic

the everyday walmart/mom&pop tackle guy spends alot of time and money on the water usually with inexperienced fishers and lose / buy more gear.

There are more boat launches than there are public fishing spots.

heres the kicker....

With everything that youve said...No fishing on my "boat launch"...and such....Why the hell do boat fishers want to launch at some backwater spot just to make the turn into the Gulf and then fish 50 ft from the damn jetties and mess up 20 guys day?.....Why the hell should that crap be legal?...If thats legal then why cant I fish on the damn boat launch for freakin bait?

I wish that fat bastard at marine resources could get his fat ass out of that damn truck to write a damn ticket.

Not quiet fair...boater licenses pay for licences/marine resources/marinepolice unless they aren't fishing.....and for a boat, I'd guess that's few and far between.

So boaters pay for both...boat launches and licences/marine resources/marinepolice.

As far as fishing jetties and piers..I still scratch my head on that one.... YOU HAVE A BOAT! Not a glorified pier...wtf are you doing at the casual fishing spot?!?!?!

I swear people do it because they don't know how to fish or they want to impress people they'll never meet or impress.
John Becker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in