dehooking large shark from pier - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Piers and Bridges > Piers and Bridges - General Q & A

Like Tree5Likes

Old 03-15-2017, 10:50 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default dehooking large shark from pier

can anyone one help me please,i am not new to shark fishing but i do have a question.im in a wheel chair and i fish out a the skyway fishing pier in manatee county in florida.i need to know if anyone knows how to dehook a shark or goliath grouper from the top of the pier while there in the water about 15 to 20 feet below?i was wondering if i took a very sturdy twine cord and tied it to a metal 0-ring like the use on the shark dehookers that extend,and slide it down the line to the circle hook and get the o-ring at an angle with the heavy twine and give it a super short strong pull?now keep in mind im only talking sharks that i cannot get up to the pier or goliath grouper for they are illegal to remove from the water.also i was going to file the barb down a bit.i would like to get my leaders back but most of all i do not wan the sharks/goliaths to be stuck with my leader in it mouth.i just do it for fun and want no harm to come to them for fulfilling my favorite thing to do. has anyone ever gave this a try?i know a sharks mouth is like a rubber leather.but i am very strong.also the pier is 3 miles long so there is no walking the to the shore.lol. .i cannot do that due to my injury anyway.lol. any help or ideas/or what you think of my idea,if it would work would be truly appreciated.thank you.
wheels is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2017, 02:36 AM   #2
White Marlin

Wheels, best thing to do is cut the leader. Whether shark or Goliath, the hook will rust enough to break or come out in a short time. If you are not going to land the sharks, go to a short leader and sacrifice the leader. I once drove drove a 16/0 hook through the jaw of a 10 foot hammerhead at PC Beach off the pier...we landed the shark, but the hookset was so hard that when Rick cleaned the jaws to wall hang, that hook was still in them.
wheels likes this.
kingfish501 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2017, 10:23 AM   #3
Blue Marlin

Default Here is the rig I made.

I've used it a couple of times. If it doesn't work quick, cut the leader if you can reach it.

Put your line in the caribeiner and slide it down to the hook. Twist the hook out to release the Shark.
wtbfishin' and wheels like this.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:15 AM   #4
Cigar Minnow

thank you very much for the info.i appreciate it very much.happy fishing
Old 03-17-2017, 08:19 AM   #5
Cigar Minnow

thanks for the picture,i can give it a try.if nothing else i can just cut the leader.thanks to all for your input. happy fishing
Old 03-17-2017, 12:34 PM   #6
White Marlin

Wheels, having fished the Skyline, I would still say go with a 6-7 foot leader ( angle because of the height should keep you from getting tail whacked) and a quick seipe of the knife to your line will minimize time the shark is in an unnatural position. Good fishing, brother.
wheels likes this.
kingfish501 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2017, 11:44 AM   #7
Cigar Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish501 View Post
Wheels, having fished the Skyline, I would still say go with a 6-7 foot leader ( angle because of the height should keep you from getting tail whacked) and a quick seipe of the knife to your line will minimize time the shark is in an unnatural position. Good fishing, brother.
i pre made my leaders they are in the the range of 7 to 9 foot.thanks for the info.it is much appreciated.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:48 AM   #8
Cigar Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish501 View Post
oh,i have been tail swiped before.lol.thanks again for the info.happy fishing
Old 03-18-2017, 11:54 AM   #9
Cigar Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by captken View Post
I've used it a couple of times. If it doesn't work quick, cut the leader if you can reach it.

Put your line in the caribeiner and slide it down to the hook. Twist the hook out to release the Shark.
what kind of tubing did you use to make that dehooker.i want to try it,if i cannot get the hook out with in 45 seconds i will just cut my leader off.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:40 PM   #10
Blue Marlin

Default I think it was an old extensible pool brush.

I honestly don't know where it came from. I used it to release a couple of big Nurse sharks and maybe a Jewfish caught off a bridge in Hernando
County.

Re: "Friend request" I tried to get it to work a couple of times with no success. Maybe somebody can educate me.
wheels likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in