Clarkspoon & Gotcha Lure Size?? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Piers and Bridges > Piers and Bridges - General Q & A

Old 05-22-2009, 12:16 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Clarkspoon & Gotcha Lure Size??

What size Clarkspoon do i need to catch Spanish Mackeral of the Piers with?

And What size Gotcha Lures do i need for Trout and such,i am think about the 3 Inch size,but i am most likely work and .Also do the Spanish Mackerel Hit these Gotcha Lures?Anf if they do what size i need for them?
DaFox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2009, 01:03 PM   #2
Topwater Bluefish fan
Sailfish

Default RE: Clarkspoon & Gotcha Lure Size??

Welcome to the Forum !

If fishing off the "skyscraper" (Pensacola beach pier) gotchas would be your best bet , basiclly the 5/8 through the 1 oz work the best . I'm not going to say which color or pattern - everybody seems to have a favorite . the clarks are too light off a tall pier, but might work off the octo or Sikes , I suggest the smallest size, especially if you're using a bubble-rig .

also, don't rule out my favorite spanish lure - a chartuse jig .
Baitcaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2009, 01:06 PM   #3
Mingo

7/8 oz Got-Cha is good all around. The Clark spoon is dynamite for troling. If you are set on a spoon look at the Gators.
FishAddict is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2009, 02:19 PM   #4
Cigar Minnow

Thanks Baitcaster.What is this fovorire spanish lure?a chartuse jig?Can you post a pic of one or a link to one?thanks
Quote:
Baitcaster (5/22/2009)Welcome to the Forum !

If fishing off the "skyscraper" (Pensacola beach pier) gotchas would be your best bet , basiclly the 5/8 through the 1 oz work the best . I'm not going to say which color or pattern - everybody seems to have a favorite . the clarks are too light off a tall pier, but might work off the octo or Sikes , I suggest the smallest size, especially if you're using a bubble-rig .

also, don't rule out my favorite spanish lure - a chartuse jig .
Old 05-22-2009, 02:58 PM   #5
Snapper

Take a #1 or #2 clark spoon and rig it as a carolina rig - put a 1/2to 3/4 oz slip sinker on the main line above a small black swivel and make sure you use a bead between the weight and swivel to protect the knot. Tie a 3-4 ft 60lb mono leader on the other end of the swivel and attach the clark spoon.Cast as far as you canand then reel it in as fast as you can. The spanish will slay it and you wont have near as many cut offs as with a gotcha. The darting/jigging action of the gotcha makes the spanish swirl around it hitting the main line and you get lots of cut-offs. At $3.00 - $4.00 each the cut offs get expensive.

Another way to work the clark spoon set up is to cast out and let it fall to the bottom, reel abouthalf way in, stop and open the bail to let it fall to the bottom, after it hits bottom close the bail and reel it the rest of the way in. Many times they will hit it as it's coming up off the bottom. This works very well if the spanish are not on the surface. Good Luck!
Old 05-22-2009, 05:41 PM   #6
Cigar Minnow

Thanks Seachaser,this is some good info
Quote:
Seachaser 186 (5/22/2009)Take a #1 or #2 clark spoon and rig it as a carolina rig - put a 1/2to 3/4 oz slip sinker on the main line above a small black swivel and make sure you use a bead between the weight and swivel to protect the knot. Tie a 3-4 ft 60lb mono leader on the other end of the swivel and attach the clark spoon.Cast as far as you canand then reel it in as fast as you can. The spanish will slay it and you wont have near as many cut offs as with a gotcha. The darting/jigging action of the gotcha makes the spanish swirl around it hitting the main line and you get lots of cut-offs. At $3.00 - $4.00 each the cut offs get expensive.

Another way to work the clark spoon set up is to cast out and let it fall to the bottom, reel abouthalf way in, stop and open the bail to let it fall to the bottom, after it hits bottom close the bail and reel it the rest of the way in. Many times they will hit it as it's coming up off the bottom. This works very well if the spanish are not on the surface. Good Luck!
Old 05-22-2009, 05:45 PM   #7
Topwater Bluefish fan
Sailfish

bear with me, my 'puter is on it's last leg . i'll try to get some pics up asap

Baitcaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2009, 07:39 PM   #8
Cigar Minnow

thanks Baitcaster
Quote:
Baitcaster (5/22/2009)bear with me, my 'puter is on it's last leg . i'll try to get some pics up asap
Old 05-22-2009, 08:16 PM   #9
Snapper

I agree with seachaser on the Clark rig, but I'll go up to 2 oz. of weight, depending on wind and how far down I want the Clark to run. When they are down they love 'em coming up off the bottom. Sometimes with the smaller Clarks I put a couple of inches of Malin in front and tie 20 lb. leader to it with an Albright.
fred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2009, 08:38 PM   #10
Grouper

Glad you found this site D. Spanish with eat pretty much anything as long as it's erratic and stays in the strike zone. Just use a heavy mono leader, 30 to 50 lb., or light 7 strand wire.
jigslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in