Catching Spanish or Red help. - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Piers and Bridges > Piers and Bridges - General Q & A

Old 05-17-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Catching Spanish or Red help.

I'm kind of new to saltwater fishing, but I decided to give it a go last week. I went to Pensacola Three Mile Bridge bottom fishing and all I caught were small trouts and catfish. A guy there told me to use a slip bopper to catch Spanish mackerals and reds, but I was wondering about the depth I should have between my cork and hook. Also, is it better to fish near the shore or towards the end of the bridge? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
hsk3502 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2012, 06:28 PM   #2
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsk3502 View Post
I'm kind of new to saltwater fishing, but I decided to give it a go last week. I went to Pensacola Three Mile Bridge bottom fishing and all I caught were small trouts and catfish. A guy there told me to use a slip bopper to catch Spanish mackerals and reds, but I was wondering about the depth I should have between my cork and hook. Also, is it better to fish near the shore or towards the end of the bridge? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I am by no means an expert... only been out there a hand full of times... but from what I have been showed and what has worked for me is to put the bait about 5 or 6 feet under the bobber for the spanish and about 7 or 8 feet down for the reds..... I am not sure if that is the perfect way, but I finally caught them doing it that way after being showed.. bottom fishing only gets you pinfish, cats and some trouts.... got to get the bait up off the bottom for the reds and spanish..

As far as location, I fish bout half way down the pier.. got my favorite spot already picked out. But there are some people that catch a bunch of reds fishing up closer to the shore.. I dont think very many reds are caught out near the end but I could be wrong....

Course the reds can surprise ya. Last week I was fishing out there with a buddy. We were going for spanish so had our bait sitting bout 6 feet down under the bobber.. a nice red came up from below and took his bait.... so guess it depends on their mood on any particular day.... Sunday when I caught my red, I was using a small pinfish dangling bout 7 feet down....

I am sure more knowledgable people will respond though and offer you better advice.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:37 AM   #3
Cigar Minnow

Get yourself some gotchas and bubble rigs and youll be set with the spanish unless there picky, there a 40lb mono leader and a long shank hook and a smaller baitfish will work.
KingMackKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2012, 09:11 AM   #4
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingMackKiller View Post
Get yourself some gotchas and bubble rigs and youll be set with the spanish unless there picky, there a 40lb mono leader and a long shank hook and a smaller baitfish will work.
Everyone says the gotchas are the way to go.. I have two gotchas and give them a try everytime I go to 3 mile bridge. I spend at least a half hour or more flipping them out.... but have never,ever gotten anything on them. A fella at the pier told me that he hasnt even gotten his gotchas wet this year. He was saying the only way they really work is if you see the fish and toss it right in front of them.. I dont know bout all that, but what I do know is I have tried them many times and gotten absolutely nothing on them.....

Someone needs to come out to the pier and show me the proper way to use a gotcha.. cause it aint working for me....
Old 05-18-2012, 10:23 AM   #5
Cigar Minnow

Thanks guys. I think I'm gonna try to find the time to go sometime next week. Probably early morning and try slip bopper and gotcha. Hopefully I'll catch something to post a pic on here.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:45 PM   #6
Cigar Minnow

I tried it this morning with a slip bopper at about 7ft with a live pinfish. I had a huge bite, but unfortunately my line broke. Guy next to me caught a red that was about 30-32 and his setup looked similar to mine. I'll definitely try that again.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:32 PM   #7
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze View Post
Everyone says the gotchas are the way to go.. I have two gotchas and give them a try everytime I go to 3 mile bridge. I spend at least a half hour or more flipping them out.... but have never,ever gotten anything on them. A fella at the pier told me that he hasnt even gotten his gotchas wet this year. He was saying the only way they really work is if you see the fish and toss it right in front of them.. I dont know bout all that, but what I do know is I have tried them many times and gotten absolutely nothing on them.....

Someone needs to come out to the pier and show me the proper way to use a gotcha.. cause it aint working for me....

I agree with the guy the only time I catch fish with a gotcha is when I see them. I don't know what the problem is with em. I never go wrong with a silver spoon. I never been to 3 mile bridge, so I don't know how high it is. Sometime you'll b
Need to put some lead on it
Dragsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2012, 08:57 PM   #8
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragsmoker View Post
I agree with the guy the only time I catch fish with a gotcha is when I see them. I don't know what the problem is with em. I never go wrong with a silver spoon. I never been to 3 mile bridge, so I don't know how high it is. Sometime you'll b
Need to put some lead on it

Maybe I will try a silver spoon... just gets me that everyone says that a gotcha is the way to go yet they never hit mine.....
Old 05-19-2012, 10:54 PM   #9
Mingo

for spanish, gotchas, clark spoons, anything shiny and fast, live LY's work when there is a school eating.
redfish like gold spoons, pinfish, bullminnows, finger mullet, and the occasional shrimp.
Redneckracoon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2012, 10:55 PM   #10
Mingo

from my experience...
Redneckracoon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in