Casting a shark rig - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Piers and Bridges > Piers and Bridges - General Q & A

Old 01-31-2013, 02:35 PM   #1
Sailfish

Default Casting a shark rig

Ok, so I have a question fro you sharkers out there. Finally got a really nice set up for a shark pole.

I have a 5.5" Penn pole with rollers on it, a Penn Defiance 40lw with 65lb Power Pro. And I have an 8 ft 500lb steel leader with an 18/0 hook. The leader set up isn't exactly what I want...I plan on getting a top shot of mono with a smaller steel leader just haven't bought the parts for it all.

Anyways, I'm just curious how some of you get your bait out there from a pier, or even a beach. I know a lot of people either yak it out there, or swim it out on a board or something...but I don't like getting in the water like that.

I know my pole is by all means not made for casting lol. But....do any of you guys have any tips on how to get the bait out there? Or do I just have to become a pro at casting it?

And how big of a difference will it make getting it 100 feet out there instead of 30-35ft out from the pier like I can now?
holicori is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 02:46 PM   #2
Snapper

From the beach, casting matters quite a bit, but from the pier i don't think it matters all that much... and with a 5.5ft rod you wont get that great of a cast anyways, and I believe that reel is a levelwind, whick also hinders casting distance... for a reel that size i would use an 8-10ft conventional rod if your gonna be casting...
Old 01-31-2013, 02:58 PM   #3
Sailfish

Default Casting a Shark Rig

That rod isn't a distance casting rod by any means. You just 'lob' it out as far as possible and let the current move it along. Sharks will find it; don't worry. C2

Jigs Rule!
Charlie2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 03:30 PM   #4
Sailfish

Cool. I was thinking on the pier it wouldnt matter so much. Should I put a weight on it...or just the bait and wait for the current to take it?

I mostly got the pole for trolling...so im not expecying a lot out of it on a pier. Granted with my carolina rigs I can surprisingly cast about 80% as far as my 8 ft spinning rods.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:13 PM   #5
Snapper

The weight you might add depends on the current. You want to work with the current to gain some distance, but probably do not want the current keeping the bait too high in the water column. You probably need an assortment of weights that you can snap on to get the current working for you properly.
“Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" - The Messiah
MathGeek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 06:22 PM   #6
Sailfish

Where should I keep it? On the bottom? 10 feet off?
Old 01-31-2013, 06:38 PM   #7
Snapper

The best depth for bait depends on where the shark are likely to be feeding. If you see schools of mullet or other stuff attracting predators near the top, then keep your bait there. Otherwise, figure the action will be closer to the bottom. You don't need to be on the bottom, but within a few feet of the bottom if you don't see any action on top.
“Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" - The Messiah
MathGeek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 06:49 PM   #8
Make it a Grady Day.
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by holicori View Post
Where should I keep it? On the bottom? 10 feet off?
Like others chimed in, try to ascertain where the bait is. When we tournie fish offshore, we try to target the water column by staggering the weights & balloons from the surface to down, down, down.

They'll find it for sure.

catch 'em up.
DAWGONIT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 05:32 AM   #9
Reeling them in
Grouper

Use live Bonita or live bait and let it swim out for you.
Gaff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 07:40 AM   #10
Sailfish

Default Fishing

I just rig it Carolina Style with a big mullet head on it as bait.

Don't be surprised if a big old redfish hits it. JMHO C2

Jigs Rule!
Charlie2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in