Casting Distance - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Piers and Bridges > Piers and Bridges - General Q & A

Old 10-08-2012, 10:50 AM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Casting Distance

I got a rod and a sturdy reel loaded with 14 mono from a guy at a flea market selling rebuilt reels. The reel is in really nice shape. The rod was new, but I suspect it may be the culprit in my lack of distance (unless my technique is off). In any case, I've read not to put any weight on the rig for kingfish. Well I just can't get any distance out of casting a frozen cig. They just don't feel heavy enough.

I don't know if I need a softer rod tip or what. Maybe you can offer some suggestions. It's an 8.5 foot Gladiator heavy action rod. Sorry I couldn't find any info on the rod...it appears to be a no-name brand. There is no line or lure weight rating.
rweakley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2012, 11:43 AM   #2
Sailfish

First make sure it is a spinning reel. A bait casting reel would have a tough time casting a bait into the wind. Next check and see how much line is on the spool. (this is critical for long casts). You need a full spool. Lastly, I like to use large guides on my rods, espeically the tip. You probably would be better off with a medium action vs heavy action rod as well.
reelthrill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 02:32 PM   #3
Mingo

Definitely sounds like a little too heavy action rod. You need a fairly "whippy" rod for casting cigs. 12-20 is pretty ideal. You could still use the rod for bottom fishing but its worth the money to get a better suited rod. J&M in orange beach has a great selection of pier rods and could help you out. John has some great deals on some lower priced ones he ordered just for that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2012, 08:14 PM   #4
Trigger

just remember that distance is not crucial for snobbling a bait. I have had plenty of kings eat with in 10 yards of the pier. If you prefer throwing far, than you can always throw bigger baits like mullet, hardtail, etc.
bay slayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 08:40 PM   #5
Senior Yakker
White Marlin

Tofer's right, heavy action is your problem.
Yakavelli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 10:56 PM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

Thanks again for the replies, this forum is great. I picked up that rig when I was just starting out. I think I'm gonna go for a med 8' ugly stick bigwater - they seem to have a lot of bang for the buck. Or else check out that J&M shop. Maybe I'll keep the other in case I decide to ever try for cobia with one of those heavy jigs.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:28 PM   #7
Grouper

was the line on it when you bought it? There is smoething about old, crusty mono that just seems to drag a** coming off the spool......Might be a cheaper fix that replacing the rod. Pull 2o ft or so off and see how bad it coils. Memory will kill your distance.
timeflies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 12:07 AM   #8
Ruby Red Lip

Yeah line was on. I'll have to check that. If its bad I may switch over to braid. I've read that if you put about a 6 foot mono leader between the braid and steel, it gives the shock absorption required for kings. What do y'all think?
Old 10-10-2012, 12:01 PM   #9
Grouper

I think if you packed that joker full of 30# power pro you would be happy happy happy. Dont over think this fishing stuff though, forget the mono shock absorber thing. Braid straight to the leader will be fine. Loose drag is all the give he needs
timeflies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 04:37 PM   #10
Mingo

Braid creates a lot of problems for people new to kingfishing. Tangles, knot issues, and pulled hooks if you dont handle your drag correctly. You can try it, just watch them fingers, it will cut you bad if your not careful. Its very different than fishing mono. That said, it will give you better casting distance and a lot more capacity. Neither of which do you need for kings.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in