Can't we all get along???? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Piers and Bridges > Piers and Bridges - General Q & A

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 11:30 AM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Can't we all get along????

Let me start by saying I am most certainly NOT trying to start any arguments but would like yalls $.02

A group of my buddies trailered their boat to Pensacola last week in hopes of catching some big AJs, some tunas, and a few WHOO. I was out of area, could not tag along with them. All these boys are experienced fisherman and good people, may drink a little to much every now and then and get rowdy, but hell haven't we all? They were fairly unfamiliar with the area but wanted to get some big "blue runners" or "hard tails-I think that's what y'all call em here??" they headed towards the Pensacola pier before the sun rise, planning to snag a few baits and head off (planning on spending 10-15 minutes by pier at most)

Once they got within casting distance of the pier they got bombarded by an assortment of different sized leads and lead head jigs. All these boys were ex-college athletes, between 6 of them the smallest was 6'4 215 lbs. needless to say they were absolutely P***ed off!!! 3 of them went insane and wanted to call the whole trip off, load the boat, and head to the Pensacola Pier to "bust some heads" as my buddy called it. Luckily for the Pier Fisherman who were tossing weights the "captain" of the vessel has calmed down since his teenage years, got married and had a few kids. He told the crew to let it go and enjoy the rest of the day...

Just some food for thought---- Y'all might want to be careful who ya chuck weights at, you NEVER know whose out there on that boat... I wasn't there so I didn't get to experience the whole situation but I do know if this incident would have happened after these boys got a little saucy that the "lead hurlers" would have been met by 5 different 6'6" guys and a 6'4" fellow... Unless the people chunking weights were black belts they would have been in for a very very rough day...

I respect the hell out of anyone who fishes... Land, bridge, pier, kayak, or boat... But come on y'all, chucking 8oz leads at a 250,000$ boat isn't necessary and certainly not worth bringing about violence to something as fun as fishing!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2012, 11:39 AM   #2
ROLL TIDE ROLL
Grand Slam

8 pager here.
Splittine is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2012, 11:47 AM   #3
Sailfish

I'd go with 10 pages, but I will say I'm not a pier fisherman but I know your not even supposed to have a boat that close to the pier anyway. Now I'm gonna sit back and watch the show!!
CatCrusher is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2012, 11:53 AM   #4
Sailfish

Default Us and Them

I'll bring the popcorn and No-Doz tablets! C2
Charlie2 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2012, 11:53 AM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

"hey man, it's illegal to be this close to the pier!!!" ---> "alright man, thanks my bad..." how a civilized human being handles it... Chunking lead weights at a 1/4 million dollar vessel??
Old 05-06-2012, 11:58 AM   #6
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishn-on-credit View Post
"hey man, it's illegal to be this close to the pier!!!" ---> "alright man, thanks my bad..." how a civilized human being handles it... Chunking lead weights at a 1/4 million dollar vessel??
Agree that boats don't really need to be near the pier. But pier fisherman need to be more respectful. Watched a video the other day of them fishing at the Navarre pier and as soon as a kayak-er that wasn't even fishing got near their response was to immediately starting chucking whatever at them. Then again if I was fishing elbow to elbow on the pier I might be a little crazedtoo.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:59 AM   #7
Snapper

Sounds like your .25 mil boat was endangering our $15,000,000.00 dollar Pier!
82whaler is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2012, 12:00 PM   #8
Sailfish

Quote:
I'm not condoning the lead chunking either!!
CatCrusher is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2012, 12:03 PM   #9
Ruby Red Lip

@ 82 whaler, I believe you read the post wrong... "your" boat is incorrect... It is not mine and I was not on it... I'd imagine also anyone willing to spend such high dollar on a boat most certainly knows how to avoid a big A** pier. I'm not questioning any pier fishermans personalities or desire to catch fish... But a friendly, "hey man you can't be this close" would have worked in this case... They had never fished the area before
Old 05-06-2012, 12:05 PM   #10
Snapper

Quote:

Sir this is too much like right. Respect is a dime a dozen these days. Hope nothing was damaged on the boat.
jstblsd is online now   Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in