Bonito gear - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Piers and Bridges > Piers and Bridges - General Q & A

Old 12-15-2012, 07:04 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Bonito gear

Hey guys, Cuda here. I caught a giant eight pound bonito at Navarre beach fishing pier and I think I'm hooked. That was probably the most fun fight of my life, and I would love to do it again.
I normally would use my rod and reel setup, but it nearly spooled me and I don't want that happening again. I saw people using these reels that had a spool that was extremely short, but really wide. What are these?
I think I know what kind of rod to get just need some suggestions for the reel. Also, what lures work well for them besides gotchas and spoons and the such? I also saw people using this white soft plastic with a forked tail on it. I caught mine on a gold spoon but I need something else to use for the bo-bos that are right next to the pier. My gold spoon just dangles on top of the water when i get it within about 30 ft of the pier. Thanks in advance!
Barracuda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2012, 07:09 PM   #2
Mingo

I use a stradic ci4 3000 with 10lb power pro and I use a hexhead jig
bassassassin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 07:23 PM   #3
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
Grand Slam

On a pier it's probably better to be "over geared" so you don't get spooled on a big fish.

The reels you probably saw were older Penn reels like a Penn 704 through Penn 707. They were built to have larger drags on a medium sized reel. They are fine reels and sort of a tradition to own one for pier fisherman.

(I just found a nice lefty Penn 707)

But with new technology on drag systems, the bigger flatter spools aren't really necessary. Any good medium sized reel will fit the bill. I am impressed by the Penn Battle The 5000, 6000 or 7000 model would be a good choice.

Jim

Last edited by jim t; 12-15-2012 at 07:39 PM.
jim t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2012, 07:29 PM   #4
Squid technician
Grand Slam

A Penn Battle 4000 would be perfect. It holds plenty of line and is still very compact. Spool it with 15lb braid or 10-12lb mono. There are a lot of rods that will match that reel. I would go for something medium-heavy in action with a firm butt section but a soft tip for throwing small lures
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 07:36 PM   #5
Grouper

Let me know when you need some hex head jig or just plain jig heads for them, I pour them, paint them, and tie them. Just PM me or email me and I'll get up with you.
snakeman14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 07:57 PM   #6
Trigger

A 3000 size reel is about right w/a white jig. I pour and tie my own and add some flashabou to the lateral line of the jig. I'll use white craft fur instead of white crimped nylon in order to get some additional motion. But, the most productive outfit is a bubble rig w/a fly. It can't be beat for false albacore/bonito/bonita. I've seen guys with modest prices set-ups catch more bobos than most if they are using the bubble rig w/fly.

Have fun ....
steelhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 08:07 PM   #7
Ruby Red Lip

Alright thank you so much guys! This really helped. Tight lines
Barracuda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in