3 mile bridge information for an old vet? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Piers and Bridges > Piers and Bridges - General Q & A

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Jason
  • 1 Post By CurDog

Old 08-30-2017, 09:04 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default 3 mile bridge information for an old vet?

I have an appointment at the VA clinic Friday afternoon.

And after that I'm thinking of going to 3 mile bridge for an evening of fishing. Not concerned about the tide or the moon. I've been tied down for some time and just need to go fishing (theropy).

Reason I'm considering 3 mile is because I have mobility problems. Fishing right at the car would be a luxury for me.

I'm looking for suggestions of where to stage on the bridge. Closer to shore or closer to the far end. Other than live shrimp, which I may or may not be able to get, what lures should I start out with? Anyone catching fish with Fish Bites?

I'm really interested in a keeper Red and some Specks to bring home. I have a bridge net. But mostly just want to catch some fish.

Thank you for any good information.

Last edited by Mossy; 08-30-2017 at 09:06 PM.
Mossy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2017, 10:08 PM   #2
*^* JaiBo *^*
Grand Slam

Rarely will ya catch a speck from the bridge. Reds are hit and miss, the majority will be white trout and croakers. A few snappers can be caught. If you can't get frozen shrimp buy frozen and squid. Can't help ya out where on the bridge to go though, when I'm out there I'm in a boat. Good luck and hope you catch some fish!
ThaFish likes this.

Philippians 1:21

21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2017, 11:19 AM   #3
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
Sailfish

There are some smoker specks at/around the bridge. We used to catch limit many times over way back when you could drive to the middle span. But they've removed the majority of it. I'd go to the end and fish it. They left some pilings and there's lots of reds running deep and specks. White trout will most likely be the main menu for you tho. We always used lead-head grubs, color dependent on water color. But I'd cast out straight down where the old bridge was removed, let the grub go near bottom, slow reel in. Use your shrimp up near the entrance of the bridge. Catch some pinfish and keep them alive. When you get a few or enough, go out to the end, and toss a few w/o weight and free-line them. Should be able to snag a few reds and specks, if all this rain hasn't thrown them off. Good Luck
Snagged Line likes this.
CurDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 11:54 AM   #4
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy View Post
I have an appointment at the VA clinic Friday afternoon.

And after that I'm thinking of going to 3 mile bridge for an evening of fishing. Not concerned about the tide or the moon. I've been tied down for some time and just need to go fishing (theropy).

Reason I'm considering 3 mile is because I have mobility problems. Fishing right at the car would be a luxury for me.

I'm looking for suggestions of where to stage on the bridge. Closer to shore or closer to the far end. Other than live shrimp, which I may or may not be able to get, what lures should I start out with? Anyone catching fish with Fish Bites?

I'm really interested in a keeper Red and some Specks to bring home. I have a bridge net. But mostly just want to catch some fish.

Thank you for any good information.
Great topic Mossy.

I'm in Orlando, but I'm planning a trip to P'Cola in May for some get away from the family therapy and I have some mobility issues as well (23 years stomping around on carrier flight decks.)

3 mile bridge is definitely going on my "must fish" list for this trip.
markdido is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2017, 08:41 AM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

Thank you for the replies. It is a 160 mile round trip and the bridge seems to be the easiest place to go for an old guy. I'll let you know.
Old 09-01-2017, 10:42 PM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

Well, I went.

I had an ear infection and the tubes had come out. No wonder its been so quiet for the last month or so. "This will hurt just a little at first." So, he ran a chainsaw into my ear drum (thats what it felt like.) Then the sound of a train wreck as he sucked my eye teeth through my ear. Drained the bad stuff out and put in new ear tubes. Now I have to turn the hearing aids back down to "reasonable."

So I get to the bridge about 5PM. Damn, I can't believe the traffic. Been living in the country a long time. The wind was constant and the noise from the bridge traffic was nonstop. Water was rough. By 7:30 I had enough and headed to north Walton County.

But I did catch fish. 7 White Trout, 3 Specks (All 6" average) and 3 stinkin' cats. At least I went fishin' and I did catch some fish.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:27 AM   #7
Make it a Grady Day.
White Marlin

Thanks for the update and glad you got to wet a line; sorry for the preamble at the VA though.

catch 'em up.
DAWGONIT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2017, 09:37 AM   #8
*^* JaiBo *^*
Grand Slam

Hey, at least ya didn't get skunked!!! Glad all your medical issues are getting fixed.

Philippians 1:21

21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2017, 12:57 PM   #9
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy View Post
Well, I went.

I had an ear infection and the tubes had come out. No wonder its been so quiet for the last month or so. "This will hurt just a little at first." So, he ran a chainsaw into my ear drum (thats what it felt like.) Then the sound of a train wreck as he sucked my eye teeth through my ear. Drained the bad stuff out and put in new ear tubes. Now I have to turn the hearing aids back down to "reasonable."

So I get to the bridge about 5PM. Damn, I can't believe the traffic. Been living in the country a long time. The wind was constant and the noise from the bridge traffic was nonstop. Water was rough. By 7:30 I had enough and headed to north Walton County.

But I did catch fish. 7 White Trout, 3 Specks (All 6" average) and 3 stinkin' cats. At least I went fishin' and I did catch some fish.
Glad you got some fish!

That's better than I've done lately!
markdido is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in