3 Mile Bridge? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Piers and Bridges > Piers and Bridges - General Q & A

Old 03-07-2012, 10:02 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default 3 Mile Bridge (or anything like it)?

I used to fish off the Gulf Breeze side many years ago before the hurricane. Most everyone was friendly and it was fairly safe. You could catch a nap and get right back to fishing. They even had the bait trucks rolling up and down the bridge with supplies, bait, and snacks. Those were the days.

Anyway what I'm getting at, is that I took the family over to the Pensacola side a year or so ago and didn't quite find it to be the same atmosphere. I guess that's because it's a honor-pay system and there's no guard shack? I mean there's people that look like they live there... I had 2 or 3 people come up and ask for a cigarette or bait, and one guy wouldn't leave until I got a little more firm with him.

Had a car next to us that kept blaring their music and had their beat-up car running with the exhaust pointed our way. They had to know it was blowing in our face because you could SEE it! We just left because we weren't catching anything anyway, and didn't want a confrontation.

So what do you guys think? How's the fishing out there, atmosphere and fishing-wise? I'm sure the same fish are out there, but it's a lot shorter now. Is it still worth fishing? Did I just have a bad day out there or is it always like that? Do I just need to get a boat or is there somewhere else I can spend some quality fishing time with the family?

Thanks guys

Last edited by outlaw; 03-08-2012 at 06:25 PM.
outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #2
Sailfish

Default Three MIle Bridge Fishing Pier

I fished on the old(pre Camille) fishing pier with my family real often and it was a joy.

I also tried the new pier and no thanks. I went to the surf and haven't looked back. .JMHO C2
Charlie2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2012, 01:48 PM   #3
Mingo

I go to the 3 mile Pensacola side at least 1 time a week just to kill an hour or 2 and I have come to many conclusions. 1: it is very overfished and produces trash and bait fish. Dont get me wrong I have had some bull reds but I can get the same fish in the bayou 5 min away. 2: it is a homeless magnet not family friendly I have personally been in a fist fight with a man who was angry and drunk and the bridge is not clean but it is kept like a dump.I have seen drugs being used and sold there so I have stopped wasting my time.
jeff912 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2012, 06:24 PM   #4
Ruby Red Lip

Well that's not what I wanted to hear, but I kind of expected it I guess. It's a shame that the bridge fishing has gone downhill so much.

Does anyone have a family friendly fishing locations? The piers get a bit... crowded and rowdy... for me to take the family out there.

Does anyone know of anywhere with easy access (short walking distance from the truck) where I could catch some decent fish from land? I don't have a boat yet and we're really looking to get the rods in the water. We're not looking for the big Cobias or Kings. We're just looking to maybe catch some redfish, snapper, grouper, flounder, sheephead, whatever.

Last edited by outlaw; 03-08-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:19 PM   #5
White Marlin

Send a message via Yahoo to konz

Most of the piers get crowded. The beach pier, and pickens pier may be an option. I just try to go during the week so the crowds are smaller.
konz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2012, 07:50 PM   #6
Sailfish

Ive done good on Bob Sikes GB side,most of the folks there were friendly enough...and I've caught some big reds there..
drifterfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2012, 02:03 AM   #7
Sailfish

Default Bridge Options

I see entire families fishing from the beach many times.

It isn't crowded and fun to fish. JMHO C2
Charlie2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2012, 02:53 PM   #8
Ruby Red Lip

I appreciate the replies guys. I'll be heading over to Bob Sykes or Fort Pickens one of these upcoming days to test the waters. Thanks a lot.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:33 PM   #9
FISH GOD
Mingo

Yeah its sad to say but the trash has over taken 3 mile bridge. I fish alot out there sometimes at night for white trout and during the day its the worst there is about 9 bums that live under the bridge that come up wanting beer,hooks,money,just anything.Seen a bum fight at the end of the bridge one night over foodstamps amd a beer I loved it on the old bridge kill more fish on it cuz if went out futher. I'd take the kids/wife to the beach and set up some rods and find ya a hole to fish in and you will slam the whiting and pomps,redfish!! Good Luck
salt_water_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2012, 11:55 PM   #10
Ruby Red Lip

if you want to get quality fish without the crowds, you are going to have to work for it. Personally, my favorite type of fishing is wade fishing the grass flats on the soundside of Pcola beach... now it is a hike (prob about a 3/4 mile) it is worth it.. you get quality fish and most of the time you dont see another person. there are tones of grass flates.. you just gotta pick one.
Needle Fish 69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in