We survived the storm in the Gulf of Mexico - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Reports

Like Tree10Likes

Old 06-29-2019, 12:05 AM   #1
Grand Slam

Default We survived the storm in the Gulf of Mexico

Went for an afternoon run to get our snappers. We were doing pretty good. Then at 5:15 pm, it turned into a Gosh Dogit Adventure!! The rain and the water over the bow on the 25 foot pro line made the electronics non-visible, let alone the bow of the boat. Every 15 seconds I would wipe the compass so we could maintain a northward heading. Time to eat a lot of Advil now.
kahala boy, jack2 and Boat-Dude like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2019, 12:21 AM   #2
Sailfish

It stormed all around the house today, but never rained here. Then it cleared up. I told my wife that sometimes it might be good to wait for the afternoon storms to pass then go out for a few hours. Sounds like I may want to still be careful.

Glad you made it home safely.
BananaTom likes this.
Rickpcfl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2019, 11:19 AM   #3
Grouper

there were some serious pop-ups around here... no rain at the house but my daughter drove thru some nickle size hail near cottage hill
reel_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2019, 12:23 PM   #4
Blue Marlin

Default Glad you made it.

I've told lots of folks that "it is better to be on the hill wishing you were fishing than to be fishing and wishing you were on the hill." Remember, we live here. We don't HAVE to go fishing.

I don't do "iffy" anymore. One thing I hated to hear when I was chartering was "We can take it." The older I got, the more I hated that statement. I never had much use for center consoles or kickers. Give me at least a cuddy and a diesel or two every time. Big Outboards are fantastic these days, though.
Old 06-29-2019, 06:17 PM   #5
Mingo

We was 23 miles out in my brothers sea ray Thursday night. We started to head back in around 8pm but it was to late. Took 8 hrs to get 10 miles. Was the scariest I have ever been through in my life. Buoy reported 35 knot winds and 44 knot gusts north of where we was and that wasnt the worst of it. The first hour felt like 5 hrs. I gave myself a 10 percent chance of getting home when we took the first 3 waves over the bow and the boat almost went over twice. To this day I will never know how we did it but I was driving and it was truly the most intense sickening feeling I've ever had. I will never step on another boat unless it has a working epirb and life raft.
It was the first time I have ever put a life jacket on while driving the boat. And I've been out there alot.
how2fish and SHunter like this.
tatsoul2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2019, 06:21 PM   #6
Grand Slam

holy crap
Realtor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2019, 07:06 PM   #7
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaTom View Post
Went for an afternoon run to get our snappers. We were doing pretty good. Then at 5:15 pm, it turned into a Gosh Dogit Adventure!! The rain and the water over the bow on the 25 foot pro line made the electronics non-visible, let alone the bow of the boat. Every 15 seconds I would wipe the compass so we could maintain a northward heading. Time to eat a lot of Advil now.
been there. done that.

jack
CPD67 likes this.
Old 06-29-2019, 11:52 PM   #8
White Marlin

It’s that time of year. Great one minute then the next it’s all hell thats broke loose. Glad y’all made it back safely.
Old 06-30-2019, 12:24 AM   #9
Green Eggs And Ham
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatsoul2 View Post
We was 23 miles out in my brothers sea ray Thursday night. We started to head back in around 8pm but it was to late. Took 8 hrs to get 10 miles. Was the scariest I have ever been through in my life. Buoy reported 35 knot winds and 44 knot gusts north of where we was and that wasnt the worst of it. The first hour felt like 5 hrs. I gave myself a 10 percent chance of getting home when we took the first 3 waves over the bow and the boat almost went over twice. To this day I will never know how we did it but I was driving and it was truly the most intense sickening feeling I've ever had. I will never step on another boat unless it has a working epirb and life raft.
It was the first time I have ever put a life jacket on while driving the boat. And I've been out there alot.

I said to myself, I sure hope nobody is out there. I have been were you were back in the mid 90's. It took me 10 years before I got back on a boat for a bay ride, and another 5 to get out the pass, reason I was pier-dude for so long.
jgraham154 likes this.

Last edited by Boat-Dude; 06-30-2019 at 12:28 AM.
Boat-Dude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2019, 04:10 AM   #10
Sailfish

Glad you made it in safely Tom. Once in a bad storm out of destin, I had to go about 8 miles east of the pass to make it in the pass. really close following seas made it impossible to enter the pass from the south or west . Isenglass around a cuddy cabin made the ride a lot more tolerable. Friend who hated cuddy cabins changed his mind after that day.
kahala boy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in