Skipped the trigger, headed to the Edge! - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Reports

Like Tree6Likes
  • 6 Post By iJabo

Old 04-28-2019, 11:08 PM   #1
Snapper

Default Skipped the trigger, headed to the Edge!

Once we made bait, we hit up the troll North of the Nipple, but the whole area is just blended blue-green water, no rips, no bait, no weeds. Called it quits and hit up some bottom spots.
First spot yields 4 scamp, one of them a stud. We bounced around different spots and picked up a few mingo, an almaco and one more scamp. Headed in a ways to scout some snapper spots for the coming season.
Ended up with a pretty decent cobia, a hair shy of 40 inches and the biggest snapper we've caught on our boat
She was vented and swam down to hopefully made it back to her hole to be caught again a later date. I would hate for a fish like that to die out of season.

Skipped the trigger, headed to the Edge!-img_4547-1-jpg
Skipped the trigger, headed to the Edge!-img_4546-1-jpg
"May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world." Galatians 6:14

YouTube Channel Link

Last edited by iJabo; 04-28-2019 at 11:12 PM.
iJabo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2019, 11:55 PM   #2
*^* JaiBo *^*
Grand Slam

Nice sow and great size cobia brother!!! made it a good day!

Philippians 1:21

21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2019, 12:58 AM   #3
Grand Slam

Are you on the new Twin Vee with twin 150 suzi's? If so, We put in as you were coming out. I talked about your boat all the way to the pass. What a beauty.
jspooney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2019, 01:36 AM   #4
Grand Slam

Nice Haul!
jaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2019, 09:49 AM   #5
Green Eggs And Ham
Grand Slam

DANG!!! Nice snappahh!
Old 04-29-2019, 03:42 PM   #6
Grand Slam

The research shows venting doesn't work either(long term). After recatching vented fish and performing a necropsy they found that salt water was introduced to their internals and would die in a short time. That's why it's no longer manditory to carry a venting tool. Easiest thing to do is make a homemade release. Swivel, piece of cord, hook w/ barb filed down and about a 2# weight. Tie the cord to the weight, then to the eye of the hook, throw a couple half hitches around the bend of the hook and then tie your swivel on the end. Swivel to upside down hook to weight from the eye. Hook the fish on the outside upper lip and drop the weight. When it gets to the depth you think you caught it at, stop, jerk and reel. The fish will be gone and back at depth.
Old 04-29-2019, 05:28 PM   #7
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspooney View Post
Are you on the new Twin Vee with twin 150 suzi's? If so, We put in as you were coming out. I talked about your boat all the way to the pass. What a beauty.
That wasn’t us, but I did see that boat. We’re in a Hydra Sport w/ Twin 200s

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastcast View Post
The research shows venting doesn't work either(long term). After recatching vented fish and performing a necropsy they found that salt water was introduced to their internals and would die in a short time. That's why it's no longer manditory to carry a venting tool. Easiest thing to do is make a homemade release. Swivel, piece of cord, hook w/ barb filed down and about a 2# weight. Tie the cord to the weight, then to the eye of the hook, throw a couple half hitches around the bend of the hook and then tie your swivel on the end. Swivel to upside down hook to weight from the eye. Hook the fish on the outside upper lip and drop the weight. When it gets to the depth you think you caught it at, stop, jerk and reel. The fish will be gone and back at depth.
I read that the survival rate for vented fish was pretty low. I felt like it was a better alternative than just leaving her on the surface. Wish I had known that method and I would’ve given it a shot. I’m going to be sick if a fish that is likely as old as I am dies like that.
"May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world." Galatians 6:14

YouTube Channel Link
iJabo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2019, 08:18 PM   #8
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
I used a shelton's fish descender last year and it worked okay, but this year I went with a seaqualizer and I love it. It costs about the same as the fuel bill for a one way trip to the edge. Here's some other options too

https://www.sportfishingmag.com/fish...ishing#page-10
OutsmartedAgain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2019, 10:55 PM   #9
VIP of the PFF
Grand Slam

Nice snapper ! ......nice ling too ! We couldn't find a single scamp today !
Old 04-30-2019, 01:33 PM   #10
Sailfish

Quote:
can you do a video or diagram of this. there were a hundred sows where we went yesterday and it is so said to see a sow float away when you think that you have properly vented and released. the only console is knowing we feed the fish, crabs, sharks, dolphin, etc.
we used to use a piece of string tied to the weight and snap the line when it gets down.

jack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in