Rather be lucky than good!! WAHOO!! - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Reports

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2018, 11:28 AM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Rather be lucky than good!! WAHOO!!

10/6/18 Amazing day on the gulf

Our goal for the day was to go to our normal spots, bend some rods and drink a beer or two. About 11:00am we had ran out of live bait and were tired of catching 25” Amberjack so we decided to get our king rods out and do some trolling. We caught a few Mahi right off the bat on some floating weeds and then a king……. About 30 minutes later the rod goes OFF and is screaming, we knew we had finally hooked a “Smoker King”. After clearing the lines and patiently waiting for this kings initial surge to stop, we came to the conclusion that we were out matched. Our Penn Warfare 20N and 15 LB mono and a short wire leader were about to be pushed to the limit. Time to put theboat in gear and start gaining some line back before we get spooled. Not long after we started moving in the offset direction of the fish he finally slowed down. My brother Chad was on the rod, and he was adamant that he is not able to“turn “ the fish. At this point we are getting excited because this was going to be our best king of the season without having seen the fish. I am trying to position the boat so we can maintain line tension but get closer to the fish…… about that time the fish finds his 2nd run, Chad is thumbing the spool to add some extra drag…. the drag washers may have been toast at this point. We slowly gain ground on the fish only by moving the boat toward the fish. In the side of a 3ft wave we catch our first glance atthe fish about 100 yards out…..we see a glimpse of him and exclaim “Giant King”. The fish then commits toward the boat and at about 20yrds he then sticks his head out of the water. This is no king we are dealing with, this is a MONSTER WAHOO. Myself and the 2 others voice our opinion on how important that we all focus and do our job because nobody on dry land will believe this “Fish Story”. Here we are 14nM south of Perdido Pass in blue water no deeper than 100’ fighting one of the apex predators of the pelagic species, with less than abundant experience and WAY undersized tackle…..what could go wrong?? The fish gets under the boat and is pitched so that he is chasing the back of the boat. Weare having to keep the boat in gear and turned….. we spiraled for what seemed like forever in 3ft seas and finally the fish turned back around us and after another full lap around the boat with Ryan, my brother-in-law armed with the gaff, the beast made his final mistake he surfaced alongside the boat and Ryan laid a heck of a gaff shot through the head/gill plate. Ryan and Chad were ableto drag the fish over the rail one at the head and the other hoisting the tail,He was finally ours!!!. After we all settled down we decided to troll a weed line headed north. We landed another king and Mahi, but decided it was time to get this fish to the dock. We stopped at San Rock Cay marina and asked if we could use their scale. He weighed in at 80.53 pounds. A day we will never forget. If you look at the pictures you can see the tiny bait(yo-zuri crystal minnow) he hit. The aft trebles could not be any deeper in the corner of his jaw and was probably the key to usbeing able to land this fish, we ended up having to cut it out on the filettable.

Keep in mind this is our fist season with a boat and this caught us WAY off guard.... we were in awe of the size of this fish and how we were able to put him on the boat. I'm certain we just used up all of our beginners luck!

Tight lines!
Attached Thumbnails
Rather be lucky than good!! WAHOO!!-wahoo-jpg   Rather be lucky than good!! WAHOO!!-wahoo1-jpg   Rather be lucky than good!! WAHOO!!-wahoo3-jpg   Rather be lucky than good!! WAHOO!!-wahoo4-jpg  
jigslinger, Realtor, DLo and 16 others like this.
Sailminnow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2018, 11:49 AM   #2
Grand Slam

dang, I was excited reading that!!!!!
Realtor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2018, 12:03 PM   #3
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtor View Post
dang, I was excited reading that!!!!!
ditto, jim, i could see that monster running, too. the read was excellent.
nice fish.

jack

Old 10-09-2018, 12:59 PM   #4
White Marlin

Heck of a fish and great read
cody&ryand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2018, 04:28 PM   #5
White Marlin

Yes, great read, thanks for sharing and wish you many more exciting days on the water. You're definitely "HOOKED" now!
jjam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2018, 06:27 PM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

Very nice story and congrats on a heck of a fish!
NipTide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2018, 08:40 PM   #7
Snapper

Awesome fish AND fish story!!!
Old 10-09-2018, 09:51 PM   #8
Trigger

Stud Hoo, CONGRATS!
Michael f sights is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2018, 11:32 PM   #9
Mingo

Great story and awesome fish!!
chuck62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2018, 01:12 AM   #10
Snapper

That tiny Crystal Minnow is almost comical sticking out of that 'hoo's mouth. Absolute stud.
"May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world." Galatians 6:14

YouTube Channel Link
iJabo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in