• 2 Post By hjorgan
  • 1 Post By bcahn
  • 2 Post By iJabo

Old 12-25-2018, 01:53 AM   #1
White Marlin

Default Offshore Report 12/22/2018

Hello fellow PFF anglers!
Intro:
I posted in "need a ride section" and met an awesome member here, Chumbuster (Rob) from AK. A little history on a Rob, 100K licensed capt. splitting his time working in AK in the summer months and calls home here during the winter months. He's an Iraqi veteran that I am very honored to call him my newest fishing buddy and good friend. Again, the PFF came through. My nieces boyfriend (Kai) traveling from school in south Florida destined for Texas was scheduled for a stop over (fishing trip) that rounded out the crew.
Day before Trip:
Well, the moon was big and the wind was kicking up 7' seas and I was a bit uneasy as I have been away for 3+ years and expectations were high by all.
Here We Go:
1st stop - bridge rubble for bait and to get rigged up for the edge. Looking good and heading south after several red snapper releases and a few baits in the live well.
Hit the edge by 0945 and met with a slow bite as expected with a big full moon. I was anxious to explore some of my old honey holes to the west.

After lunch, we arrive at old stomping grounds to the west and the bite turned on @ 2:30. The screen was lit up with amberjack in the column and what else suspended from 180' to 225' bottom. Kai requested to battle a big fish and his request was met with amberjack and eventually got sharked. Rob consistently filled the box with good grade mingo. Rob and Kai each landed a couple lane snapper too.

FWC CHECK: Probably the most exciting part of our trip, not the normal boarding I've experience in the past. Started off with the usual announcement "coming aboard and clear poles" approaching port side. I'm also ordered to kill my motor, I never turn my motor off while 35 miles off shore and I said okay, but didn't comply. FWC Capt. officer pulls away and circles a safe distance away while the boarding officer begins an aggressive questioning (interrogation). Repeating several times "is this all the fish you have onboard?" referring to my 150 qt fish box. Each time I answered "yes sir" he searched every compartment on deck as if he expected to find a hidden treasure. He then, proceeded into my cabin continuing his search. Never had this happen before but okay, nothing to hide. Once out of the cabin, he asked, "who is the acting captain of this vessel today" in a demeaning tone , I replied, "I am" he requested my name and birthdate, gave a thumbs up to circling FWC Capt and jumped back onto the returning FWC vessel.
Special a note: I have the upmost respect for our FWC officers and appreciate what they may encounter while at sea. This officer and FWC Capt. were very professional and very much at the ready for any type of encounter while doing there job. I did thank the officer onboard my vessel for his services but he seemed unimpressed. Oh well!

The seas were perfect and flat, we ran WOT on the way home and ended our day with great memories and split up a nice box of meat!

I didn't take many photos but captured a few for Kia returning to Texas to share back home.
Attached Thumbnails
Offshore Report 12/22/2018-img_8754-jpg   Offshore Report 12/22/2018-img_8750-jpg   Offshore Report 12/22/2018-img_8744-jpg   Offshore Report 12/22/2018-img_8746-jpg  

Last edited by jjam; 12-25-2018 at 01:56 AM.
jjam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2018, 02:03 AM   #2
Grand Slam

dang, with calm seas like that, who cares if you catch any fish.

strange the fwc acted like that?
jjam likes this.
Realtor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2018, 03:39 AM   #3
Grand Slam

Great report!
jjam likes this.
jaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2018, 09:38 AM   #4
Snapper

Thanks for the report. Sounds like a great trip!
jjam likes this.
Bluecape is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2018, 04:35 PM   #5
VIP of the PFF
Grand Slam

You gotta love catching it that flat out there !
jjam likes this.
Old 12-25-2018, 06:50 PM   #6
Grand Slam

All LEOs go to some BS conferences where they are taught to try to intimidate subjects into spilling the beans. Sometimes it works, most of the times not. Nice day ya'll had, can't wait for a flat day like that when I'm not working. Merry Christmas everybody!
parrothead and jjam like this.
"Don't sweat the petty stuff.... and never pet the sweaty stuff."
-------
"Don't get rid of a boat that's paid for or a woman that cooks, no matter what they look like."
-------
"The lower your standards the luckier you get"
-------
"I tried to make it to the nipple, but just got the elbow."
hjorgan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2018, 11:57 AM   #7
Ms Ruth 07 Pursuit 265LS
Sailfish

What a beautiful day out, thanks for sharing!
jjam likes this.
70 Wellcraft 17' (sold)
80 Starcraft 16' (sold)
bcahn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2018, 11:28 PM   #8
Snapper

From the one time I was boarded, I had a near identical experience. Officer was cordial and professional, but searched extremely thoroughly for any hidden fish.

They undoubtedly find illegal fish very often, so the best thing to do is to remain compliant and polite.
jjam and bowdiddly like this.
"May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world." Galatians 6:14

YouTube Channel Link
iJabo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in