Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Last few grouper trips have been good.

4K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Durkee 
#1 ·
Gone 4 times in the last month or so. Most trips we just killed a couple and did something else. One trip I didnt even take pics...oh well. Here are some pics from three of them though. Enjoy! Im JONESING for a tuna trip though.... :whistling:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Good eatin right there!

#4 ·
that's the most long-tails i've seen in a while. see a few tile, too.
yall musta been in some deep water.
any way you look at it, that's a lot of meat.

jack

#6 ·
That day, I found a rock in about 780' marking up real good but all we caught were the LTSB but they were biting good. I try to make a conscious effort to just take a few fish and move on. We could have loaded up on LTSB there as we were getting bit as soon as it hit the bottom on every drop but variety is the spice of life! The Golden Tiles were hot too that day. We did have to move around a bit to find the yellowedge but once we did we got our two man limit in an hour or so.

The trips with big snowies, I stopped grouper fishing after catching them, again, I try really hard to just keep what we can eat fresh. Obviously there is no catch and release when it comes to deep water grouper so we just move on and do something else.

Deep water fish grow very slowly so its important to take very good care of them. That means knowing when to stop and keeping those numbers close to your chest.

#8 ·
Deep water fish grow very slowly so its important to take very good care of them. That means knowing when to stop and keeping those numbers close to your chest.
Some things are worth repeating
This is worth getting on the soap box for! 👊🏻👍🏻

Reactions: WAReilly
#10 ·
Nice haul! What were you using for bait? I was going to try to head deep next week and deep drop with squid. I was thinking of Tolling around and look for some bottom that looks good. I don’t have a bunch of go to spots in 700ft but hopping seas cooperate to find something decent or a nice wahoo looking!

Any suggestions on where to start?

#12 ·
I always start with 2 or 3 or sometimes 4 different kinds of bait until I can figure out what the fish are eating more. Some days its squid, some days it white meat, some days its dark meat and some days it doesnt matter.

As for where to go, refer to post #6.

Ive spent hundreds of hours and countless miles staring at my bottom machine to have the success Ive had. All I can say is look at a good bathymetry chart and start finding out what works and what doesnt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.