Friday 5/3 deep drop trip - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Reports

Like Tree13Likes

Old 05-04-2019, 09:16 AM   #1
Snapper

Default Friday 5/3 deep drop trip

Some friends and I decided to go give deep dropping a try. None of us had ever done it so we weren't expecting much out of this trip. We fish out of Two George's Marina in Shalimar . We stopped outside the Destin pass and caught some live baits to go with our squid. We plugged in a number near the spur, set the auto pilot and sat back and relaxed for the ride. Seas were as predicted and we made good time, running about 38 mph on the way out. The only instructions we had was to go to 900' and find blue fuzz on the bottom.

We got to our spot and it was 860' so we decided to give it a try. We drifted for about 20 minutes with no results. I saw on the plotter that 900' was only about a mile further so we reeled up and moved. We dropped again and I was watching the bottom machine as we drifted. There started to be blue spots show up then it got heavier, then solid. We started getting bit and up came our first golden tile.

We spent the rest of the day experimenting with holding the boat, reeling with the handle when setting the hook then engaging the electric reel, looking at the bottom. Whenever we would drift out of the blue stuff all we caught were these small deep water sharks. When in the blue stuff we caught tiles.

After catching nine we decided to call it a day and head home. The water was like glass and we rode in at 40-45 mph. We were thrilled that we were that successful on our first attempt.

I want to put a plug in here. The reel I was using is a Banax Kaigen 1000. This was it's first trip. On the second drop something happened to the reel and it wouldn't turn off. I had to disconnect the power to get it to stop. I contacted James at Frigate sales this morning and he immediately replied, sending me a prepaid shipping label to send my reel back and will be sending me a new replacement. I just wanted to share the excellent customer service and I will give a report when I get the new reel and how it works out.

Here are some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Friday 5/3 deep drop trip-20190503_124624-jpg   Friday 5/3 deep drop trip-20190503_135307-jpg   Friday 5/3 deep drop trip-37963-jpeg   Friday 5/3 deep drop trip-37967-jpg   Friday 5/3 deep drop trip-37968-jpeg  

Bluecape is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2019, 09:24 AM   #2
Mingo

how much weight did you use at that depth?
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2019, 09:54 AM   #3
Snapper

We were using 3# weights.

Old 05-04-2019, 10:42 AM   #4
Sailfish

current and wind will determine the weight size. i've used as much as 5#
and the current still puts the line on a 45 degree. not much current probably with a 3#. did you guys use any light?
those goldens are good-eatin size. congrats on your first deep-drop.

jack
Old 05-04-2019, 06:40 PM   #5
Snapper

Yes, we used a light at the top of the drop rig and glow skirts on the drop legs.
Walton County likes this.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:14 AM   #6
*^* JaiBo *^*
Grand Slam

Heck yeah....nice!!!

Philippians 1:21

21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2019, 01:00 PM   #7
Cigar Minnow

Were you using squid on your hooks? Hole squid or cut? Live bait, and what type?

I just bought some deep drop rigs to give this a try. Your experience motivated me to try it out
-Trent
funball76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2019, 06:02 PM   #8
Snapper

We had whole small size squid cut in about thirds and live cigar minnows, also tried them cut in half. They ate all of those. Next we will try to figure out how to get more than one at a time hooked up.
Old 05-14-2019, 05:22 PM   #9
Mingo

If you watch videos of tile fish they only come a few feet off the bottom. If you are using a long leader the upper hooks may be to high. Add a 3-4 oz bank singer to your light swivel at the top and the leader will lay a bit more flat on the bottom.
Bluecape likes this.
H2OBUG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2019, 05:49 PM   #10
Trigger

You can also find them in shallower water. Dont be afraid to try in 6-700 ft as long as you have good muddy bottom.
Bluecape likes this.
Keithcooking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in