Edge 1-6-20 - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Reports

Like Tree9Likes

Old 01-07-2020, 01:51 AM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Edge 1-6-20

Beautiful day on the water today!!!! Ended up being very eventful to say the least...

To start off the morning, went to go check my pinfish traps out and got there to see that the one person that saw me putting my traps out the day before had went over there and opened all my doors and poured out my bait... what a POS. Took a picture of his plate just in case he stole them. He was the only one that would have known where they were. Worst part about it. On the military base. Can’t trust anybody.

Had been getting lucky the last few weeks on catching bait below the destin bridge, but nothing today. So went out to the bridge rubble to catch a decent bit of ruby red lips to go out with.

After the hour long boat ride put the trolling motor down and started fishing. Didn’t put down a pole from 10-3 non stop action.

I caught the most beautiful hogfish I had ever seen. Can’t find another picture with a hogfish of that color. 20,000 20+ inch red snapper, 50,000 triggerfish. Vermillion hit and miss. Grouper consistent but the big ones kept getting sharked halfway up. Got a couple up to the boat but out of season or too small. Had a blast until the last bite. Went out to the deeper waters and dropped once and pulled up a little shark. Shoulda just cut the line and called it a day....
Holding my chicken rig, shark jumps, I drop the line and the second hook goes straight through my thumb. Just about all the way. Didn’t have anything hard enough to cut the hook so had to go into the ER when I got back for them to cut it out. Don’t even get me started with these dudes that were trying to cut this hook out 😡😡.

Either way great day, made it home and praise God!!!

Don’t have a ton of pics since I was solo today!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Edge 1-6-20-038add3b-f603-45ba-ad5b-5ead44c5b2b0_1578376034139-jpg   Edge 1-6-20-eb065666-15e2-4b0b-975d-313b4754bf5a_1578376048428-jpg   Edge 1-6-20-aff81198-2c3b-4701-9973-5bbeb007000c_1578376065062-jpg   Edge 1-6-20-3aa9c3fc-7c9d-4cce-b9ac-5496a7908b36_1578376081229-jpg   Edge 1-6-20-3ecd400d-a87c-45a2-ac6f-0e73b2df26a9_1578376104399-jpg  

Realtor and capt.joe like this.
JLFishing2214 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2020, 08:54 AM   #2
Trigger

Thanks for writing up the report. It looks like you had some fun fishing up until the shark hook! Since my own hardhead fin fun episode last year I carry a brand new pair of sidecutters in my dashboard.

Sounds like the red snappers were really hungry out there!
ST1300rider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2020, 09:55 AM   #3
Blue Marlin

Sounds like a busy day offshore.

Here's a tip for all that go offshore fishing: Go to Harbor Freight and buy small bolt cutters, spray with WD40, vacuum seal them and put them on the boat and hope you never need them.

Side cutters, dykes, lineman's pliers are iffy, especially on heavy gauge hooks.
Snagged Line, DLo, mrplmbr and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2020, 04:15 PM   #4
Ruby Red Lip

Its a spotfin hogfish.
https://sta.uwi.edu/fst/lifesciences...%20Hogfish.pdf
Old 01-07-2020, 04:25 PM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightpipe View Post
That’s awesome!!! I wonder if they are legal to keep or anything? Would be an awesome salt water aquarium fish.
Old 01-07-2020, 04:27 PM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodupp View Post
Sounds like a busy day offshore.

Here's a tip for all that go offshore fishing: Go to Harbor Freight and buy small bolt cutters, spray with WD40, vacuum seal them and put them on the boat and hope you never need them.

Side cutters, dykes, lineman's pliers are iffy, especially on heavy gauge hooks.
Yeah the ER tried use crappy dikes to cut it and almost ripped it out my hand twice. It took me al my might not to cuss them out.... finally they found an electric ring cutter that worked no problem. Wish they would have just numbed it and got it out.
Old 01-07-2020, 05:02 PM   #7
Trigger

Hurts just looking at it
Reelbait is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2020, 05:28 PM   #8
Snapper

Nice report & welcome to the club.

Although fishing alone adds another dimension to hook removal, having a pair of Knipex 7101200 8-Inch Lever Action Mini-Bolt Cutter (Amazon $39) on board can greatly cut your ER time in half, so you just need antibiotics.

Got mine buried into the meat of the wrist and pushed it thru until it could be cut. The hardest part was getting the skin to open far enough to get the barb thru. Now I carry disposable scalpels and some injectable lidocaine to assist in the process if needed. Plenty of betadine and celox powder as well.

Stay safe & tight lines!
Attached Thumbnails
Edge 1-6-20-img_1719-jpg  
Durkee likes this.
"Southern Xposure"

2008 SeaChaser 2400 OffShore w/300hp eTec (Lady J)
1998 World Cat 246sf w/twin 150hp Zukes (Altered States)
Lady J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2020, 08:04 PM   #9
Ruby Red Lip

So after doing my research on the spotfin hogfish that I caught I found out that the record for spotfin hogfish was 11 inches broke in 2015. Well it’s unofficial obviously, but when I measured it was 12.5 inches at the fork 😭😭😭. I had a record fish and didn’t even know or even take a picture of the ruler. What a day...
cody&ryand and Lady J like this.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:26 PM   #10
Ruby Red Lip

I'll give you credit for the world record!!! Nice job, crazy day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLFishing2214 View Post
So after doing my research on the spotfin hogfish that I caught I found out that the record for spotfin hogfish was 11 inches broke in 2015. Well itís unofficial obviously, but when I measured it was 12.5 inches at the fork 😭😭😭. I had a record fish and didnít even know or even take a picture of the ruler. What a day...
Durkee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in