Crossing off bucket list fish!!! - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Reports

Like Tree40Likes

Old 06-17-2019, 07:02 PM   #1
Work Hard, Fish Harder...
Ruby Red Lip

Default Crossing off bucket list fish!!!

Left Joes bayou boat ramp yesterday around 5:45 am planning on do bottom fishing with live bait only all day.
Made bait very easy and quick, tons of bait by destin pass along another 100's boats, started heading SE and the 1 Foot seas was not quite accurate lol.
We did our 4 men limit really quick, with the bigger one being 25", got couple black snappers, almaco and 6 amberine, released lots of legal snappers smaller then 20" and few illegal groupers, i had finger mullet on the fly all the time, but no takers, saw bunch of bonitas posing on the surface and caught few for bait, around 11 we headed to the edge targeting groupers, we did caught few but no keepers, around 1 we hauled ass back in. Was little choppy and my trim tabs are not working so made it title bumpy ride. As we were passing few public spots i slow down to check my bottom machine, and one of them at 125' my Garmin lit up all the way and i gladly decided to try it, we were keeping same strategy, live bait only.
We were catching snappers left and right among few groupers and small ajs, as we were running out bait i dropped a mullet we still had, as soonest i dropped i felt a much heavier and solid hit and immediately put my reel on low speed in order to get the mystery fish off the structure which was successfully done, that fish was angry and really not giving up at all, i felt like was reeling up a tank, and that thing was a giant, once we started to see colors i could not tell what was until i saw that big mouth and said "goliath grouper" everybody was freaking out with the size of that fish, especially one of my mates (fist time ever fishing offshore), such of beatifull fish, one of my mates quickly took a picture, i think he was afraid the fish would take off, remove the hook of its mouth and jumped on the water while both of us recovery from our battle, our tug war lasted about 30 minutes, after couple minutes our giant shook its tail splashing water on my mates and swam down.
We are so blessed and always have more then we deserve, Its funny because in the same morning i was saying that i had jew fish on my bucket list and few hours later i crossed that off. Many times i had hooked up something that i could not handle, i am so glad i had spent money on some good tackle, it really paid back and still counting.
Attached Thumbnails
Crossing off bucket list fish!!!-whatsapp-image-2019-06-16-6-56-17-pm-jpg   Crossing off bucket list fish!!!-whatsapp-image-2019-06-16-9-05-32-pm-jpg  
Realtor, DLo, John B. and 16 others like this.
Lipz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2019, 07:15 PM   #2
Green Eggs And Ham
Grand Slam

DANG!! Well done!
Lipz likes this.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:28 PM   #3
Trigger

Awesome job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lipz likes this.
CPD67 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 07:52 PM   #4
Grand Slam

Man, we caught one a few days ago. Must be moving North on us. Maybe they will eat the Lionfish.
Bodupp and Lipz like this.
"Don't sweat the petty stuff.... and never pet the sweaty stuff."
-------
"Don't get rid of a boat that's paid for or a woman that cooks, no matter what they look like."
-------
"The lower your standards the luckier you get"
-------
"I tried to make it to the nipple, but just got the elbow."
hjorgan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2019, 09:24 PM   #5
Constitution Conservative
Sailfish

Awesome fish story and with the pic to make it a true one... LOL.

As many fish as I've seen just absolutely hammered by a shark at the side of the boat, last thing I'm doing is swimming with one.
ChileRelleno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2019, 11:52 PM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileRelleno View Post

As many fish as I've seen just absolutely hammered by a shark at the side of the boat, last thing I'm doing is swimming with one.

Thank you guys

Lol I guess we are not really smart and got lucky twice then...

Old 06-18-2019, 07:06 AM   #7
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileRelleno View Post

Damn straight on the shark deal. Had a giant after a mingo by the boat Saturday.
Lipz likes this.
NipTide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2019, 07:47 AM   #8
*^* JaiBo *^*
Grand Slam

Dang, I need to follow you around..... hahaha We went Sunday fer fathers day but only caught 1 keeper snapper that Logan threw back thinking we'd catch bigger and better but nope all shorties!!! Hit several numbers loaded with fish but had to be trigs cause all the way down you'd feel the bites...Caught several species and several tax men/women were paid off!!! Only brought home a white snap and a bo bo to add to the priors day sucky haul!!! Enjoyable day regardless!!!
Lipz likes this.

Philippians 1:21

21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2019, 08:33 AM   #9
Mingo

congrates on the jew fish,bucket list are getting ready to kick the bucket.

very ballsie entering water w/ that giant live bait.

I hope these jew fish stay south.

the FWC should have enough sense to understand the jew fish which is no longer endangered species is worst than the lion fish.

edit: retrieval at Joe's bayou is the FWC girl waiting for catch inspection?
Lipz and Catchemall like this.

1977 StarCraft Chieftain 22' rebuild/repower/conv. pilothouse/top speed 53 knots aluimin 14.5"X21 pitch
steve the brain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2019, 09:22 AM   #10
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Dang, I need to follow you around..... hahaha We went Sunday fer fathers day but only caught 1 keeper snapper that Logan threw back thinking we'd catch bigger and better but nope all shorties!!! Hit several numbers loaded with fish but had to be trigs cause all the way down you'd feel the bites...Caught several species and several tax men/women were paid off!!! Only brought home a white snap and a bo bo to add to the priors day sucky haul!!! Enjoyable day regardless!!!

Jason we did check several public spot on the way out but no decent keepers, we slammed them at few spots around 22 miles SE, i dropped my bouy with a chum bag tied at the bottom and had another tied to the boat all the time while catching snappers, I also toss few chum balls around my bouy, seems to work very well, Sunday we had almost no current in the morning so drifting was the best way to go, as far as the chum you can buy or make it yourself, I always buy mine, another rip for bigger snapper is keep your bait suspended From the bottom, the bigger ones are not afraid to swim alone on the water Column and at the bottom is where the little ones hang normally, I had caught 20+# ARS in the fly line few times, but PM me we can figure something out maybe head out together as a buddy boat, good luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in