CM Hole - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Reports

Like Tree7Likes
  • 7 Post By flrockytop1

Old 04-28-2019, 09:43 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default CM Hole

What beautiful day. My son and grandson were in town and it was time to try and put some fish the boat. I have a small 18ft CC aluminum hull catamaran with 70hp Susuki.

Plan A hit Pensacola pass, put out the straw rigs and catch our limit of Spanish. Got off from Texar ramp aroind 7am. Well the water was not pretty. Dark green. Trolled East from the pass to old Coastguard station. I always catch them there or have to fight off the hard tails and or skipjacks. Nothing. I mean nothing. Dang what to do. Did I say it was slick calm. I can get about 25mph at 4,000rpm and get 7 to 8 mpg. I have two 6 gal tanks.

OK cant beat the weather so lets head to the CM hole and target pink snapper. We get there and only two other boats. One problem this is a trolling trip. No bait. No weights. I dont really have a lot of storage so if its not in my small tackle box I dont have it. I dig through the box a come up with a half dozen small circle hooks and four 3oz weights. We actually see a floating ruby red lips that one of the other boats had discarded. Forgot the net so we ldled up the the fish and reach out a retrieve the fish. Made up a couple of two hook drops and were fishing.

Trigger after trigger after trigger. All 1/2 inch short. About to give up and call it a day. When I decide to move 50 yards to another little mark. Actually nothing but a little hump showed on the bottom machine. We drop down and the machine lights up and the bit is on. Still a lot of small trigger but we limited out with the biggest 18 inches. Also my favorite, pink snappers. I caught one 16 inch Lane snapper and my son and grandson boated a half dozen mingo. By the end of the day we had a nice box of fish. My grandson said: "you know I think is about the best fishing trip I've ever had."

We were down to our last piece of cut bait and I put it down to get just one more pink snapper. I had a nice one. I got it about 10 cranks off the bottom and WHAM something hit it and took off. I was fishing with 30lb braid. Before I new I was stripped. I managed to turn him and retrieve about have the spool and off he goes again. Spooled again. And then he is gone. I figured the thirty lb mono had broken. When I got it in the weight was gone and the bottom circle hook was now straight. Mono not frayed. Shark? I dont think so. Burned 8 gal of gas. Anyway. What a great day.
flrockytop1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2019, 01:30 AM   #2
Grand Slam

Great report. Bite was dead until you got right on them today. Spade fish were THICK
jaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2019, 02:56 AM   #3
Sailfish

I have found lots of red snapper and triggers, but man I have not found the mingo's.

Sounds like a fun trip. That big one will always linger and make you wonder.

"Things are only impossible until they're not"
SurfRidr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2019, 07:17 AM   #4
Mingo

Great report. I’m jealous! Forgive my ignorance but where is CM hole? Is that public or private numbers?
canygaar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2019, 09:25 AM   #5
*^* JaiBo *^*
Grand Slam

Flipper stole your snapper.... Probably played with it then scarfed it down!!! I had a 18 ft fiberglass cat with a 70 zuke, love to see your aluminum cat!!!! Post some pictures up!!! Or I can PM ya my # and I'll post em up fer ya!!! Love cat's!

Philippians 1:21

21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2019, 04:01 PM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Flipper stole your snapper.... Probably played with it then scarfed it down!!! I had a 18 ft fiberglass cat with a 70 zuke, love to see your aluminum cat!!!! Post some pictures up!!! Or I can PM ya my # and I'll post em up fer ya!!! Love cat's!

I have had flipper steal my catch before. The problem with that is I did not see any in the area before or after. I'll take the pictures and see if I can get them posted. I have figured it out in the past. ...... I found their web page.

https://coastalanglermag.com/33rd-strike-group-bay-cat/
Old 04-29-2019, 04:06 PM   #7
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by canygaar View Post
Great report. Iím jealous! Forgive my ignorance but where is CM hole? Is that public or private numbers?

CM Hole is a natural bottom spot about 14 miles SE of Pensacola Pass.
Old 04-29-2019, 05:21 PM   #8
Grouper

That was a fine report. Pick up some Spro bucktails in one to two ounces in just about any color. If you find yourself without any bait you will catch snapper after snapper with them. Even triggerfish will gobble those jigs up. You can go to any public wreck and have a ball without a lick of bait.
wrightackle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2019, 07:15 PM   #9
Sailfish

Good report. I’ll have to give it a try.
specktackler57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in