The Banana Chronicles: Part I - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Reports

Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By hjorgan
  • 1 Post By hjorgan

Old 01-26-2019, 08:50 PM   #1
Grand Slam

Default The Banana Chronicles: Part I

Today Reefcast, NOAA, and weatherx had 1-2 ft with 1ft after noon. Loaded up with (weíll call him Matt because thatís his name), Joel and me Ė Captain Hugh Jorgan.

Had squid and chum, some cold drinks, and a good attitude.

About 400 yards from the pass Matt said, ďTime for a banana!Ē and I think, ha thatís a funny guy. Now Matt is from Indiana and I should have known. Yep, he busts out a banana and eats half of it before I can stop him. So, we explain about the bad luck thing and I almost turn around. But we are full of fuel and hope, so we press on.

Well NOAAís 1-2 is solid 3ís, so we stop at the bridge rubble to catch some bait. Nothing happening there. After 3 drifts with just 1 ruby we head south to the edge.

About 10 miles from the target it gets really sporty. 4ís with a 5 thrown in there for good measure. So I pull her back to a fast troll and stick in a wahoo bomb.

We see a turtle.

I head toward the dropoff and hit 200 feet, then turn back towards my mingo spot. Still pretty tough going. Got close to the hole and of course, with thousands of miles of empty water there are 2 boats there. So I head on to the 324 hole. You guessed it, a boat right on top of it. Damned bananas.

I did run over a pretty good show of fish about Ĺ mile from the 324, so I turn back on it and do a drift. Bam! Nice mingo. (Beeliner, vermillion, tourist snapper.) Back on the helm and turn into the wind and stacked up waves. Drop the wreck anchor down in 185 feet. Takes a while to hit bottom but we stick!

Cleated her off and drop down. Picked through some shorts and decent mingo, then what? The anchor pulls. Do the long windlass pull and all tines are straight. Put the pipe on them then back up current for another try. This time I see a good show over pretty flat bottom, so drop the hook up current and hope to hold.

Miracles, I stick something PERFECT. Itís still snotty so Iím bumping the engines into gear to keep from pulling the anchor again.

Now itís ON! We are boating nice mingos, some big porgies, getting rocked by some assumed grouper, and a mixed bag of trash fish. Triggers in 190 feet of water!

Then flipper showed up. Iíve never had them do this to us before. We would have a good fish about 2/3 up then it would just stop. A tug of war would either break off or lose the fish. It was 2 large and one little porpoise. I did manage to pull one mingo from them. I had a big one on, got flippered, and got it away. Then I saw them streaking after it. I reeled as fast as I could but no dice. Damned bananas.

About 2:00 we boated our 30th mingo, a 3 man limit. So to the hill we head. The seas gradually died to the promised 1 ft or less. Rode in a 35 knots, pretty nice.

Cleaned fish and boat for about an hour. Sent Matt and Joel home with fish, put some in the freezer. So maybe bananas arenít so bad.
Attached Thumbnails
The Banana Chronicles: Part I-bc01-jpg  
"Don't sweat the petty stuff.... and never pet the sweaty stuff."
-------
"Don't get rid of a boat that's paid for or a woman that cooks, no matter what they look like."
-------
"The lower your standards the luckier you get"
-------
"I tried to make it to the nipple, but just got the elbow."
hjorgan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2019, 09:29 PM   #2
Grand Slam

Nice story..... 30 mingos isnt a bad day. I was wondering about the seas..... Thanks for the report. Did Matt catch anything?
Realtor is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2019, 09:34 PM   #3
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtor View Post
Nice story..... 30 mingos isnt a bad day. I was wondering about the seas..... Thanks for the report. Did Matt catch anything?
Well actually Matt wore them out. Couple of 3 lb mingos and a bunch of eaters. He did fine. Got a little queasy though. Damned bananas.
Realtor likes this.
"Don't sweat the petty stuff.... and never pet the sweaty stuff."
-------
"Don't get rid of a boat that's paid for or a woman that cooks, no matter what they look like."
-------
"The lower your standards the luckier you get"
-------
"I tried to make it to the nipple, but just got the elbow."
hjorgan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2019, 09:11 AM   #4
Sailfish

Nothing wrong with bananas, I know of a few who caught fish with them, some even video document the experience. Bananas are only bad for your lifestyle if you are shipping them to the americas on a 100 year old sailing vessel.
As I wrote earlier, if I could have been there I would have been fishing as well, great job to you and your crew. I admit to having had envy while reading your report.
tbaxl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2019, 09:32 AM   #5
Snapper

Great report and story.
Bluecape is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2019, 09:43 AM   #6
*^* JaiBo *^*
Grand Slam

Sweet job on them mingos.... I'll stick with bad luck bananas!!! Also whistling on the boat brings in the winds!!! hahaha

Philippians 1:21

21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in