What's the best rod - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 03-11-2009, 07:00 PM   #1
Trigger

Default What's the best rod

I'm looking for some advice on a bigger rod. I have always been inshore and have gone to using the Quantum Cabo PTs with the largest being in the 80 medium action 10lb test.

I'm looking for a rod that I can troll a stretch 25 with and throw a larger top water, cobia jig etc... at bigger fish. Maybe even land a tarpon God willing. I don't want a trolling rod just a bigger spinning rod I can troll with. I'm thinking a 7'6" Heavy taper with around 30+lb braid on it.

I have a Quantum Cabo 60 reel to put on it.
UnderWater Angler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2009, 09:22 PM   #2
Ruby Red Lip

Default RE: What's the best rod

I love my Shimano Tallus Bluewater rods. I've fished them a lot in the last 2 years with no problems. I used the extra heavies for trolling with roller tip and the regular fuji guides heavy action ones for my spinning reels.
L/D Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2009, 09:34 PM   #3
Trigger

okuma makes a cedros speed jigging rod (xtra heavy) that has enough ass-end in to troll a little. (not sure if any spinning setups can handle the strech 25's and up..... they pull pretty damn hard!!) its also extremely light and easy to cast cobia jigs. u can also jig for aj's/snapper/grouper with it. if u wanna spend a little more cash get the same same setup in in a shimano trevala. hope this helps, but honestly if your planning on trolling u need to go conventinal- the drags on those spinners might only last one smoker king or decent size hooter.
SUNDAY-FUNDAY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2009, 09:37 PM   #4
Sailfish

One of the Seeker or Gator rods..Hands down..Seeker PS80 or an 8ft Gator!:usaflag
Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2009, 10:00 PM   #5
Trigger

Thanks for the replies guys. I'd like to get a trolling only rod but being that I have a flats boat rod storage is minimum (7) and you gotta have a rod with a spoon, one with a topwater, one with a jerk bait, and one with a o hell you get the idea....plus the 3 flyrods. I'm stayin w/in about 3 miles usually polling the beaches or drifting some close in numbers and really would like to stick with a spinning setup, cork grip.

I'm just out of my realm of little knowledge here...about how much do the stretch's pull (how big of a rod) and what lb test and leader would you use.

I've caught schoolie kings and cobia around 30lb on the Cabo 80 w/ 14lb powerpro but never gotten into anything bigger besides reds.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:08 PM   #6
Trigger

if your staying in that close pull dusters etc. or the old standby- trolling weight with wire leader and double hooked ballyhoo. correct me if wrong but a strech is too much for spinning tackle?? hell, we pull em on 30-50 class stuff and they bow the rod over almost double at 6 knts.
SUNDAY-FUNDAY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2009, 10:18 PM   #7
Ruby Red Lip

i wish i could give you a real good number or description like fast or medium, but the spinning rods i use for my stretchs are the same as i use for cobia and they are custom so there is no description on the rod, but anything that feels good with something like a 8500 ss pen is what i like if you go by outcast and look at the key largos the 7' or 8'i think they are black with red raps they are a good oneto reference, if you get something like a pen 704 you can use it for just about anything that comes down the beach, they are even great for snapper fishing in side 10 miles or so. the only thing is the as you probably know the braid does not stretch so if you really want to use it for trolling you need a lose drag or you might just rip there head off. that is a great all around rig for someone who has limited room.
fishingwanz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2009, 10:59 PM   #8
Trigger

I've been thinking that it's just a little too much, but I hear how many fish they catch and have some in my fishing cabinet just starring me down that I though I would throw this out there.

What is another stretch-esque lure that a heavy action 20-30lb test can handle?
Old 03-11-2009, 11:02 PM   #9
Sailfish

Big Yo Zuri
Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2009, 11:08 PM   #10
White Marlin

I've pulled the stretchs with spinning setups before. They were on the large size...Penn 8500 with Key Largo Cobia/King Special rod. I also pull them on Penn 320gti with a Star Aerial rod sometimes....I really don't fish that way often though.

Another option is to use somewhat lighter gear and use a release to the transom for your trolling line. That will take some of the pulling pressure of the stretch off the rod. But, if your target is mainly kings/spanish, I would use the duster/cigar minnow combo like mentioned above. I'll pull the stretch in the bay for bull reds and grouper.
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in