What time of year is best for tuna in La? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A
Register Fishing Photos FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Advertise

Old 09-02-2008, 12:13 PM   #1
Sailfish

Default What time of year is best for tuna in La?

Thinking about getting a group of guys together and getting a charter over there. What time of year is usually best to wrestle some YFT? I know everything is hit or miss just looking for a general idea. Thanks
polar21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2008, 12:17 PM   #2
White Marlin

Default RE: What time of year is best for tuna in La?

just google midnight lump and there is all the info you need.....i know alot of people that fish the lump in november with great success....here is info off a site

Because yellowfin tuna are such fast swimmers that are constantly moving through the water, they create a stimulating fishing challenge. Yellowfin tuna are also commonly referred to as ahi, and they are a very popular sport and commercial fishing target.

The Louisiana Gulf coast is one of the few locations worldwide that offers a year round tuna fishing season. Because of this year round season, Throughout the winter months, tuna can generally be caught at the infamous Midnight Lump located just 50 miles off the coast of Venice, Louisiana. When the weather is warmer, tuna are caught throughout the Gulf waters.
bluffman2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2008, 12:24 PM   #3
Sailfish

Thanks bluffman. I am fully aware of the lump, just trying to get an idea of the best time to go. But hey, its fishing, anything can happen. Does anyone know a general cost for this type of trip? Thinking of 4-6 guys going.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2008, 12:25 PM   #4
Sailfish

we just did a charter out of Port Fourchon....ground zero for Gustav :angel....it was 6 people and ~$650 / person.

in the summer months plan on a run of 50 to 100 miles in search of sashimi :toast
hebegb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2008, 12:11 PM   #5
Trigger

I have fished out of Venice for 5 out of the past six years. Only missing the year after Katrina. We have fished from late January to early February. Most years have been great. Last year, was an off year. There are a bunck of boats that fish out of there. Each year, the fish have gotten smaller. That is not to say thata 200Lbs plus fish isn't caught regularly, but our average has gone down. Last year was the first year we got two Mako's and several wahoos. Each year has been a little different, but last year the boat was 1400.00, plus fuel of about 300.00 and we stayed at Venice Marine in a "cottage" that will sleep six for 150.00. OVerall, we went with 5 people and it cost us each about 450.00 after tip, fuel to get there and food. I have heard that November is really good also.
chasintales is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2008, 12:26 PM   #6
Mingo

There are many good charter operations fishing the waters out of Venice, Louisiana. Two friends of mine who are very good are Captain Rimmer Covington ([email protected]) and Captain Gary Bryant (251) 540-6982. Rimmer fishes there year-round, and Gary runs his boat over about December and stays throughout lump season. I think both would agree with me that the lump was off last year, compared to seasons past. There were some days where many big fish were caught, but it was inconsistent. November can be productive at the lump, although usually the water is still warm enough that there are great numbers of king mackerel and sharks that usually get to your bait before the yellowfins have a chance. The kings and sharks tend to thin out in January and February. Rimmer keeps an extensive log book and insists that he can predict the arrival of the biggest fish according to the moon phase. I think you will find that both Rimmer and Gary can educate you adequately to help you pick a good time, they are both very good fishermen, and pleasant to fish with, too. Hope this helps.
Bryan Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2008, 12:32 PM   #7
Sailfish

I believe Rimmer also fished with Jose Wejebe on the Spanish Fly. I think I remember seeing him and jose on the show. Thanks for all the info.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:56 PM   #8
Ruby Red Lip

I have been fishing out of venice marina with Capt. Eddie Burger for the last 7 years or so. We usually goin late January or February. 1400.00 per day plus fuel. Give him a call. You wont be dissappointed. 985-788-5080
Bertram 33
Luhrs 290
Cape horn 19
pdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2008, 12:02 AM   #9
Sailfish

Lump season sucks.I would only go lump season if you are only after a monster. I would go in the summer or fall if you want to have fun and catch a bunch of fish. Go to reelpeace.com, they are the best IMO
Travis Gill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in