what size cc would most consider - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 08-06-2011, 12:07 AM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default what size cc would most consider

To fish the (sometimes) bluewater places like the spur, nipple, 131 that everyone talks about what size center console would most consider adequate. Ive been looking for a while hoping to find something I liked around 30' and ran across a good deal on 27'. with twin 250's and 205g fuel capacity. Its like this, I really like the boat but do you guys think I'm gonna be wishing I'd waited till I found something bigger? It would be simple if I could go buy a new boat but till some dirt moves I've got to find something I can afford. Maybe this would give me a clue. what's the average length boats that fish tournaments like the limited or outboard classic?

Thanks,
crackerjac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2011, 12:22 AM   #2
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
Sailfish

You should consider if that's all you're going to do, "fish the gulf"? But, If you're planning/thinking on doing some bay fishing and whatnot, then I'd consider a boat that's small enough for the bay, but will get you out in the gulf safely.
But you can go pretty much as far as you want on good smooth days. I've been to the nipple many a time in a 22' cc as well as a 38' scarab.
The scarab wasn't much for bay fishing (but the women loved it), and the 22' didn't like rough seas.
So, after deciding on what you're most wanting to do, then that's the road to go down. If it's the bigger boat, save your money til you can get what you want.
But for now, I personally would charter boat it.
CurDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2011, 01:39 AM   #3
eating tasty
White Marlin

I have a 26 ft CC Pursuit and think its the perfect size. Takes seas like a champ not too big for around the bay and I take it everywhere from the bouys for kings to the Ram Powell for tuna. Pick your days when you are going way out... if its nasty its gonna suck whether you are in a 25 footer or a 40 footer...
FenderBender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2011, 01:42 AM   #4
Grouper

I've done (and continue to do) all three of those spots named in my Century 2200 CC. It has a single 225 Yamaha 4 stroke with 110 gallon fuel tank. In my opinion its more about your comfort level and skills than it is the size of the boat. I learned my comfort level many years ago on an old 17' boat that I would take out into the Atlantic. Just remember, there is a thin line between fun and stupid.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:57 AM   #5
Cigar Minnow

I've got 23 sea hunt right now and I'm always nervous when I go through that pass. The furthest I've been is 2 miles. But I'm always by myself or with my 4 yr old. I guess I subcontiously feel like if I get a bigger boat I want be so nervous. I'm from Tuscaloosa and none of my buddies know anything about saltwater fishing. Maybe i need to run an add free trip just bring knowledge.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:28 AM   #6
Trigger

I go out well over 30 miles frequently with a single F250, 22' Grady, safety equipment and Sea Tow subscription. Never a fear from the boat side as it'll take more than I can. But with any boat you'll want to pick your days because it just isn't fun for most once the waves go over 3' or so.
SteveFL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2011, 08:41 AM   #7
ROLL TIDE ROLL
Grand Slam

If you get nervous coming out of the pass a bigger boat will not make you feel more relaxed going to the spots you mentioned. Get comfortable with whatever boat you have before you think about going that far. Get some bottom numbers and hit them for a while, learn your boat and yourself. You probably have a very seaworthy boat and but if you dont feel comfortable going to the 3 Barges and fishing a boat thats 5' bigger is not going to give you the confidence to fish the Spur and it shouldnt till you learn you boat and yourself.
Splittine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2011, 11:55 PM   #8
Cigar Minnow

I'm gonna be down this weekend, anyone want to fish out of OB? I'll cover everything you just have help show me the ropes.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:15 AM   #9
eating tasty
White Marlin

Check your pms crackerjack
FenderBender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2011, 01:34 PM   #10
Trigger

I would look at fuel economy as well if you have a 200g tank and the boat gets 1.0-1-5mpg you may not have the range to fish some of the longer runs and have fuel for trolling and etc,
but a 27' boat should be comfortable fishing just about anywhere in the gom within range, but when the seas are raging it sucks being on any boat no matter the size but bigger does ease the pain, imo
ateupwitit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in