What kind of fish? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 04-30-2012, 08:57 PM   #1
White Marlin

Default What kind of fish?

Dad and I made a last minute trip to the gulf yesterday and were drifting over a spot with natural bottom. We were using live threadfins about 8inches long and kept hooking into a fish that we could do nothing with lol. I'd pull him up and it'd drop back down even harder until finally it broke the 65lb braid we were using.

Any ideas on what it might have been? I was thinking grouper. Also, any advice on what to do/have for next time? We are definitely hitting that spot again!
deersniper270 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2012, 09:13 PM   #2
Snapper

Ive had that problem before and it turned out to be a nurse shark. Then again we were using big baits than 8".
jhall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2012, 09:25 PM   #3
Bearded Brotula
Grand Slam

Sounds like a shark.
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2012, 09:28 PM   #4
White Marlin

The reason I thought grouper is dad had mono on his rod and it was frayed up about 5ft like a grouper had gone in a hole and rubbed it up. It's live bottom but every now and then there is what looks like a small structure down there.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:21 PM   #5
Grouper

Sounds like FUN, dont forget to get us a pic when ya get that baby up an back in please ,, ole carver
TheCarver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2012, 10:32 PM   #6
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCarver View Post
Sounds like FUN, dont forget to get us a pic when ya get that baby up an back in please ,, ole carver
I won't! Didn't have my big rod yesterday so I couldn't put much backbone behind it. My rod looked like an uglystik logo lol.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:28 AM   #7
Trigger

We were fishing a pyramid out of Orange Beach a few years ago. My buddy said, "I'm hung," and I thought, "there ain't no f'n way." I went over to tug on the line and came to the same conclusion. I slammed the drag as tight as it would go and started to try to break the line. After a minute or so, I got a couple of quick tugs on the line from a sure enough fish, but the line snapped before I could do anything about it.

I assumed it was a shark, but it could've been a snapper which wrapped the line. We'll never know. In case it was a wrapped up (or rocked) fish, I now know to free spool the line for a bit over the structure to see if the fish will come out of whatever hole it's in, but I didn't know that trick at that time. Another friend got hung up on a wreck a couple of times this year, and while we didn't get the fish (if there was one), we did retrieve the rig both times using that technique.
jplvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2012, 12:56 PM   #8
White Marlin

I wasn't hung lol I know that for sure. My rod was bobbing hard back to the bottom each time I'd gain some ground. I hoPe it wasn't a shark. We'll find out in a few weeks I guess if I can hook into one with a larger rod with bigger test so I have something to work with. I'll keep y'all posted.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:31 PM   #9
Trigger

Oh yeah, my thoughts got scattered a bit. My immediate thought was it was a shark right after it all happened. At times it felt like I was making up ground, but pulling total dead weight. Only as the time passed did I think it might have been wrapped up in the pyramid. Total dead weight for 1 min, 2 min, maybe more with times where it felt like I was moving something, then 3 quick tugs and a snapped, frayed line. I'd cut off a pinky toe to know what that was.
jplvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2012, 11:02 PM   #10
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplvr View Post
Oh yeah, my thoughts got scattered a bit. My immediate thought was it was a shark right after it all happened. At times it felt like I was making up ground, but pulling total dead weight. Only as the time passed did I think it might have been wrapped up in the pyramid. Total dead weight for 1 min, 2 min, maybe more with times where it felt like I was moving something, then 3 quick tugs and a snapped, frayed line. I'd cut off a pinky toe to know what that was.
Sounds about the same as what happened to me. I can't wait to try again with different gear.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in