What color line - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By lastcast
  • 1 Post By Splittine
  • 1 Post By captken
  • 1 Post By iJabo

Old 12-04-2017, 02:42 PM   #1
Blowhard extrordinair
Sailfish

Default What color line

I've got a new Penn 8500SSV that I'm going to do some bottom fishing with. I'm planning on putting it on either a star or ugly stick jigging rod and spooling it with 80lb braid and having a short mono leader. Would you use the multi colored stuff or something different?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2017, 09:26 PM   #2
Ruby Red Lip

I would run the PP Depth Hunter...I think someone threw a similar question up last week. Handy way to eyeball the amount of line out, nice in drifting with current.
Chumbuster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2017, 01:41 AM   #3
Cigar Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnf View Post
I've got a new Penn 8500SSV that I'm going to do some bottom fishing with. I'm planning on putting it on either a star or ugly stick jigging rod and spooling it with 80lb braid and having a short mono leader. Would you use the multi colored stuff or something different?
80lb braid may be a little overkill on it. Itís spec shows the highest rating at 470/65. Of course you can go 80lb, but youíll be losing another 30 yds or so. Not to mention the smaller diameter, the better itíll cut through the water in a current. Thereís not a huge difference in the PPís Depth Hunters 65lb & 80lb diameters, but every little bit helps. Also, since thereís no give or stretch in the braid, you may want to (strongly) consider leaving a little spool room for a 15-20í topshot of fluoro or mono tied to the braid with an Alberto knot or something similar. Not sure what type of rod action youíre thinking about, but the topshot will provide a little stretch so you wonít pull as many hooks, and it helps pulling one over the side.

I have several reels spooled with the multi-colored line. Overall, I like it. The only big downfall Iíve found is when using it on conventional reels, the dye from the different colors will pretty much tattoo your finger when working the line back on.
jc_hicks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2017, 07:00 AM   #4
Grand Slam

I'll second on the 65# braid. In calm seas it'll hold the boat when stuck on the bottom. Can be a bugger to break.
jc_hicks likes this.
Old 12-22-2017, 08:49 AM   #5
Blowhard extrordinair
Sailfish

Looking for a 50-80# Star or Tiger lite jigging rod. With 300 yards of the 80# braid I should still be able to get on about 30 yards of 80# mono or flouro. Since I'm just planning on a 5-6' leader that should be plenty room. Since I'm only down one week a year I want the best shot of pulling up a fish. I figure the extra 15# can't hurt.
Old 12-22-2017, 08:59 AM   #6
ROLL TIDE ROLL
Grand Slam

65# for sure.
jc_hicks likes this.
Splittine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2017, 10:02 AM   #7
Blue Marlin

Default I much prefer conventional reels and here is why.

First, many conventional reels are much lighter for the same line capacity. Second, with a spinning reel, your line is down under the rod where it can be dragged against the rail and frayed or broken. Third, conventional reels, with the same line pick-up speed (not gear ratio) are far easier to crank.

I'm talking about brute force here.

Te line to leader connection, the FG knot rules.

I like the metered braid. When you are jigging for suspended fish, it sure makes a huge difference. Counting down works, but, when I glance at my DF and see big fish suspended at 200 feet in 7,000 feet, I tend to get flustered.

I'm glad I am too old for Tuna anymore. Too dang much work.
Grouper are bad enough but sure taste better.
jc_hicks likes this.
Old 12-22-2017, 12:41 PM   #8
Snapper

When I was first spooling my bottom setups, I always went bigger, but in actuality, there are few fish in the ocean that warrant using 80 or 100 pound gear.

With that being said, it doesn't hurt to have a bigger conventional reel spooled with some heavy duty stuff for those odd grouper or AJ that own your lighter stuff.

I don't have experience with the Depth Hunter line, but it sounds nice in theory.
jc_hicks likes this.
"May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world." Galatians 6:14

YouTube Channel Link

Last edited by iJabo; 12-22-2017 at 12:44 PM.
iJabo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2017, 02:08 PM   #9
Blowhard extrordinair
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by captken View Post
First, many conventional reels are much lighter for the same line capacity. Second, with a spinning reel, your line is down under the rod where it can be dragged against the rail and frayed or broken. Third, conventional reels, with the same line pick-up speed (not gear ratio) are far easier to crank.

I'm talking about brute force here.

Te line to leader connection, the FG knot rules.

I like the metered braid. When you are jigging for suspended fish, it sure makes a huge difference. Counting down works, but, when I glance at my DF and see big fish suspended at 200 feet in 7,000 feet, I tend to get flustered.

I'm glad I am too old for Tuna anymore. Too dang much work.
Grouper are bad enough but sure taste better.
Already have the reel. Do have a beefed up 60/W on a penn 50-80# rod with roller guide that already has 80 braid and 60# mono. I think it has around 35# of drag. Just wanted a big spinner.

Got my metered line ordered but looking for a rod. Found a tiger jigging rod and Penn rampage both for about $80 at BPS. Got a couple BPS gift cards from Students for Christmas and could get one for $20 of my own money.

Which would you do?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in