Weight debate - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 03-09-2011, 10:38 AM   #1
Snapper

Default Weight debate

I'm premaking a lot of my rigs for snapper/AJ. What size egg weights do you typically use in 100ft and 200 ft of water?

Speaking of which what do you think of my rigs?

Snapper
I'm running 6 ot Gamakatsus Ocutpus circles, to 3 ft of 50 lb fluro, to 225 lb swivel, then I have a 1 ft section of 80lb mono for the weight to slide on(with beads), to snap swivel, to a main line of 65 lb braid.

AJ/Grouper

Same as above but 8 ot Gamakatsu and 80lb mono leader instead of the fluro.
Orangebeach28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2011, 11:33 AM   #2
Squid technician
Grand Slam

I have always used as a guideline that i will need roughly 1oz per 10ft of water if I want to hold bottom well. Sure you can hit bottom in 150ft with a 4oz weight but as the boat moves around, your line will plane and can cause tangles with everyone else or the prop. Sometimes there isn't any current and you can get by with much less.

If i were making them for the depths you said I would make 6,8,10,12. You can always double some if you need more and want to make less sizes. It looks like crap but will work.
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2011, 11:57 AM   #3
Grand Slam

Default 8 oz usually

I have found 8 oz is the best all-around weight unless the current is really ripping, the I'll use a 12 oz. We usually drift fish so an anchored boat may need more weight. A big AJ bait may also take a 12 oz to keep it down. I have rarely needed more than a 12 oz weight.

Depth is usually less than 300 ft, average probably 150.

If that helps.
hjorgan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2011, 12:58 PM   #4
Snapper

It does - I bought mostly 8 and 10's, I was just making sure I hadn't messed up. What size hooks do you use for snappers, AJ's, and Grouper?
Old 03-09-2011, 01:14 PM   #5
Grand Slam

Going off your post I'm taking a few things for granted. Your anchored and using a conventional reel. Here's something to try. Take a spinning rod and use a knocker rig, 1oz egg and the hook, leader if using braid. Lip a Pinfish or Cigar minnow. Try the current both ways(infront & behind the boat). Sometimes they hit better drifting one way over the other, sometimes it just doesn't matter. Cast away from the boat and maybe even let it freeline for a bit, set the drag enough to not create a backlash if a fish hits and runs. Then just put it in the rod holder. Now drop your other line to the bottom. You might be suprised which one catches the better quality of fish. Maybe not the most, but better quality. Just my .02
lastcast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2011, 01:17 PM   #6
Sailfish

Hook size should match your bait size more so than the fish your trying to catch. For me I use the least amount of weight and smallest terminal tackle I can get away with. The more you have down there the more the fish can see and the less amount of fish you will catch especially on Public spots where the fish can be very finicky. Now if your fishing Private spots with lots of fish that see no pressure then it won't matter as much. As for weight I will use as little as a 1/2 oz if the current will allow in 100ft, but it usually takes 2 oz and a little more in deeper water. Of course I am usually on anchor so if your drifting you will need more weight to keep your lines straight.
Ocean Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2011, 01:23 PM   #7
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangebeach28 View Post
It does - I bought mostly 8 and 10's, I was just making sure I hadn't messed up. What size hooks do you use for snappers, AJ's, and Grouper?

I think that depends on the bait you're using. I've used 5/0 or 6/0 with squid, but gone anywhere from 6/0 to 9/0 when using cigar minnows, pinfish, or rubies, depending on how big the baitfish is.

For smaller snapper (mingo, lane) or triggerfish, smaller pieces of squid on 3/0 or 4/0 hooks.
Fog Ducker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2011, 01:26 PM   #8
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangebeach28 View Post
I'm premaking a lot of my rigs for snapper/AJ. What size egg weights do you typically use in 100ft and 200 ft of water?

Speaking of which what do you think of my rigs?

Snapper
I'm running 6 ot Gamakatsus Ocutpus circles, to 3 ft of 50 lb fluro, to 225 lb swivel, then I have a 1 ft section of 80lb mono for the weight to slide on(with beads), to snap swivel, to a main line of 65 lb braid.

AJ/Grouper

Same as above but 8 ot Gamakatsu and 80lb mono leader instead of the fluro.
You don't need all that fancy smancy when you are snapper fishing, in fact less is more especially on public stuff. They become gun shy so to speak ( leader shy ). Use a small heavy duty swivel and then run your leader to a snelled circle hook. EZPZ. Use a San Diego jam knot from main line to swivel with sinker on it.

http://www.netknots.com/html/fishing_knots.html

http://www.leadertec.com/tipsandtech...ots_index.html
lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2011, 01:29 PM   #9
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

Also note that weight size is also dictated by moon phase/ current. You will need to go heavier in some instances, so get a few bigger just in case.
lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2011, 02:12 PM   #10
Snapper

What about that weight sliding up and down that braid, should I worry?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in