trolling question - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 09-17-2010, 07:08 PM   #1
Snapper

Default trolling question

how fast are you supposed to pull stretch 25's and 30's?
BigSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2010, 07:25 PM   #2
Mingo

You can generally pull them around 4 to 8 mph depending on sea conditions.Main thing is that your rod tip is dancing (vibrating fairly quickly) and you know they are running right.Randy
southbound again is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2010, 07:27 PM   #3
Sailfish

from instructions tested 150 ft of 50#line at 5 mph will run straight to 10 mph, but as speed increased deapth decreases, ive done about 4 my self, but today all i could get was green slime. these dir off stretch 30 box
20simmons sea skiff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2010, 09:50 PM   #4
Squid technician
Grand Slam

At speeds above 6 knots they both have the tendency to wash out. Thinner line helps but I've never personally seen one run above 7 for very long. The best deep diving plugs I've ever used for pulling at higher speeds are the rapala X-rap 30's. I've pulled them at 10 knots before and they swam true. The older style rapala magnums ran pretty fast as well
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2010, 01:54 PM   #5
Snapper

thank you very much, have always been a bottom bumper and recently started giving trolling a try without knowing squat about it. QUESTION NUMBER TWO: is it better to troll with mono or power pro and if you can use the braid, do i have to put on a mono leader?
BigSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2010, 02:31 PM   #6
Grouper

Need more details, what are you trolling for? what reels are you using? If you load with braid, it will give you a ton of capacity, then run a mono topshot to absorb the shock when the fish first eats.
bombtosser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2010, 03:29 PM   #7
Squid technician
Grand Slam

Almost all of my reels are now spooled with braided backing because of a couple instances where we were almost spooled. I alsways fish a mono topshot for some shock absorbancy and because it it easier to deal with. I've trolled before with straight braid and lost a lot more fish because of the lack of stretch.

I generally spool a reel with 2/3rds backing and the rest of the way with mono. If you are usuing a wind on leader than make sure you leave a litle room for it as well. If you just spool it halfway with the braid than you won't be getting the full advantage of the braided line since the mono will still take up the majority of the spool. This is the setup on all of my reels and the way I spool most of my customers reels as well.
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2010, 11:32 AM   #8
Mingo

I run strecth 30s off my back corners when trolling skirted ballyhoos. Pull them anywhere from 7-9 mph and have no problems, other than the wahoo that hit them! haha
Polebender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2010, 10:25 PM   #9
Ruby Red Lip

New to trolling as well. Appears mono the best way to go to...1) will stretch a little and absorb the shock and 2) gets deeper faster??? Just questions. Any particular color that attracts fish? Heard wahoo love red and white Mann 30+. Floro green or black and silver to match the hatch?

thanks, Stan
skays is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2010, 10:23 AM   #10
Sailfish

dophin holo or the closest thing u can find to ityellow sides and blue bottom, last yr 7 fish on dophin 2 on silver one trip, yesterday about 8 fish on dophin one hit on other
20simmons sea skiff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in