Trolling lure resins. - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By FluidDynamic
  • 1 Post By Sequoiha
  • 1 Post By Sequoiha
  • 1 Post By FluidDynamic
  • 1 Post By Sequoiha

Old 12-17-2017, 09:46 PM  
Cigar Minnow

Default Trolling lure resins.

Iím getting ready to pour some trolling lure heads that Iíve shaped on a lathe and molded. Iíve been using Alumilites Water Clear, and curing in a pressure pot to prevent air bubbles. The main focus on these first few heads will be Wahoo; therefore, theyíll need to be able to handle some hard hits.. Has anyone used this and had a problem with chipping easily? Is there another brand anyone would recommend?
jc_hicks is offline   Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2017, 12:21 AM  
Ruby Red Lip

Check out BJB Enterprises. Product WC-792 It has a shore hardness of 84. This is what some resin head manufacturers use. Alumalite has a shore hardness of 72. Yellowing is another issue with cheaper urethanes. Be careful if your using the harbor freight pressure pot for a vacuum.
jc_hicks likes this.
FluidDynamic is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2017, 11:36 PM  
Cigar Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidDynamic View Post
Check out BJB Enterprises. Product WC-792 It has a shore hardness of 84. This is what some resin head manufacturers use. Alumalite has a shore hardness of 72. Yellowing is another issue with cheaper urethanes. Be careful if your using the harbor freight pressure pot for a vacuum.
I appreciate the info. It looks promising, Iím about to order some now. BJBís product also has a 6 month shelf life compared to Alumilites 3 months.

Uh oh.. Yes, I bought a HF pressure pot about two months ago. I made a few modifications right out of the box. Iím using it for pressure, not a vacuum, though. Bad experience with one? Thanks again. Donít know how I havenít came across that company before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2017, 08:44 AM  
Blue Marlin

I use West Systems 105 Resin and 207 special clear, shore hardness of 84.5, no yellowing, kind of expensive but so is all the others, I've used Alummalite , and like this better, set the pressure pot at 40 psi and don't move it for at least 12 hours, no bubbles and perfect. I make blanks for Pens and bowls to turn on my lathe.
jc_hicks likes this.

Ms Penny Fishing Team

Barber Marina
251-987-1060

[email protected]
Sequoiha is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2017, 11:44 PM  
Cigar Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequoiha View Post
I use West Systems 105 Resin and 207 special clear, shore hardness of 84.5, no yellowing, kind of expensive but so is all the others, I've used Alummalite , and like this better, set the pressure pot at 40 psi and don't move it for at least 12 hours, no bubbles and perfect. I make blanks for Pens and bowls to turn on my lathe.
Iíll have to check into them as well, looks like West Marine May keep it in stock. Iíll be pouring a lot over the holidays. I wasnít familiar with the shore hardness scale so I did a little reading up on it. More or less the same concept as the janka scale with wood. I think a higher shore hardness will be best in most cases, but may have to take it down a little when there isnít much to work with between the head insert and outside diameter of the mold. Trial & error & error & error, I suppose. Do you use any veneer or shell on your pen blanks?
Old 12-20-2017, 05:21 AM  
Blue Marlin

I do, small shells from the beach are very pretty when cast and turned. I'm still learning also,
jc_hicks likes this.

Ms Penny Fishing Team

Barber Marina
251-987-1060

[email protected]
Old 12-20-2017, 12:31 PM  
Ruby Red Lip

I think the BJB product will require vacuum. That's why I was saying be careful with the HF pot. I saw a video of a guy (can't find it now) using it as a vacuum that caused it to explode or implode. It's looked really scary.
jc_hicks likes this.
FluidDynamic is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2017, 02:22 AM  
Cigar Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidDynamic View Post
I think the BJB product will require vacuum. That's why I was saying be careful with the HF pot. I saw a video of a guy (can't find it now) using it as a vacuum that caused it to explode or implode. It's looked really scary.
I couldnít find anything that specifically said vacuum, but Iíll be putting it in the pressure pot for sure. There were a few post curing steps they recommended with heat. Iíll have to let you know how it goes once I make a pour. Doesnít look like itíll be in until late next week, though.

I changed some valves on mine and have two regulators before the inlet. Itís rated for 60 PSI, but I try to stay around 50 and have the relief valve set at about 58. Seems like a I may seen what youíre talking about while I was researching them..
Old 12-22-2017, 05:44 AM  
Blue Marlin

I only use vacuum when I'm stabilizing, heat works well, I just don't like standing there with the heat source, put it in a pressure pot and do something else, as far as pressure, I really haven't seen a noticeable difference between 40 and 50 psi quality, so I chose the lower pressure, it's safer.
jc_hicks likes this.

Ms Penny Fishing Team

Barber Marina
251-987-1060

[email protected]

Tags
resin, trolling lures, wahoo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in