Trolling Gear - Rods/Reels? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

Old 08-02-2013, 10:13 AM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Trolling Gear - Rods/Reels?

Looking to buy trolling rods / reels- what should I be looking at?

...I just bought T-top mounted outriggers for my single engine center console. Looks like I'll be running 5 lines trolling altogether (I've never used outriggers before). 1 from the center (t-top or leaning post), 1 from each corner of the boat and one from each outrigger.

I'm going to target kings mostly (6-8x year??) , but there will be nice days that we may go on out and target wahoo, dolphin, and some tuna if we can find them. (3-4x / year). I also bottom fish a couple times a month.

I currently have 2 Penn senator 6/0's on 50-80 lb boat rods that I use for bottom fishing, and I also have a couple of pier/boat spinning rods (Battle 6000, Penn 704, Mitchell 302)- all on 7' or longer 30 lb class rods.

I'd like to find some good used combos, (5 matching ones would be awesome- so that I could leave them rigged for trolling)- What should I be looking for? Penn 30 Wides? Shimano TLD 30? More 6/0's? Tiagras?

I'm an amatuer, but I'd like to gear up properly for trolling local waters.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Also- would be willing to trade an old yamaha 225 2 stroke for rods/reels if anyone has some they want to get rid of.
davis_patrick82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2013, 10:51 AM   #2
Sailfish

TLD 25's and 30's. 2 speeds on the 30's if you can afford em. That's all you need!
gator7_5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2013, 11:16 AM   #3
Grouper

Default Combos

Buy something you really want regardless of cost you fish for fun so buy something that makes it more enjoyable Talicas would be a great start if the purchase point is out of your range Avent makes solid reels as well
billin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2013, 11:48 AM   #4
Ruby Red Lip

Looks like the Shimano TLD II 30's can be found new for about 200 but the same size Talica would be around $600... And the same size Avet at $479 (although the Avet appears to have more drag and line capacity for the "30" size.!

What about rods?

Last edited by davis_patrick82; 08-02-2013 at 11:56 AM.
davis_patrick82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2013, 12:10 PM   #5
Reel Insurance
White Marlin

I second the TLD's. You don't need 50# of drag to troll. We set ours at 8-9#. And i doubt you need more line than a TLD 30 can hold. You can always chase the fish if you need to.
Kenton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2013, 12:29 PM   #6
OCD Reel Service/Repair
Grand Slam

Get the TLD's or used Tiagra's. Properly taken care of they will last forever and catch fish. 15 lbs. of drag is the most you will ever use for trolling and never go over that. 12 lbs. is the norm for all pelagics like tuna, wahoo, etc..

"Wheelchair Accessible Fishing"
Ocean Master is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2013, 01:54 PM   #7
Sailfish

Tld25 for sure that is plenty to catch any mahi and most wahoo with 30 pound mono.
Scruggspc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2013, 05:01 PM   #8
Mingo

As you have a single engine boat, I will assume you mean blackfin when you say tuna. That said, you can target all of your species with TLD20s and TLD25s unless you plan to do high speed trolling for wahoo. You CANNOT put much drag on a king and hope to keep the hooks in his mouth. So, save yourself some money and get some TLDs (TLD30 if you are just set on a 2-speed) and be done with it. Load 'em up with 30-40 lb. mono and go get 'em.
Smitty81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2013, 05:28 PM   #9
Kim
Blue Marlin

West Marine has 6 GLD 30's in stock and they are on clearance for $132.00 each.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2013, 07:44 PM   #10
Grouper

i would say 3 tld 20s and 2 tld 25s the 20s are great inshore reels and if things are done right with a little luck will catch any blackfin dolphin wahoo sailfish or white marlin u may find out around the edge the 2 25s will give u the ability to catch a small blue marlin and allow u to trol some bigger baits if u get a little past the edge benifit of a smaller boat is u can chase the fish rather than back down on it so line capicity isnt as big of a deal if u go with mono spool the 20s up with 25 and the 25s up with 30 braid is a better option but fishing 8 or 10 times a year braid for 5 rigs will cost as much as a good combo
weedline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in